Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003

+7
Floris
AlainK
JudyB
sabamiki
-Daniel-
Clever
Herbert A
11 posters

Go down

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 Empty Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003

Post  Herbert A Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:37 pm

In may 2003 i collected a Fagus sylvatica.

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 001_0510

The tree had no good nebari. But we will see what we can do.

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 014_0510

First pot.

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 023_0510

Four weeks later he made leaves.

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 027_0510

Most of the branches were too long and too thick. So i had to cut back hard 7 weeks after collecting.

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 034_0610
Herbert A
Herbert A

Back to top Go down

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 Empty Re: Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003

Post  Herbert A Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:50 pm

Next spring i grafted some new roots. I drilled a hole through the trunk and pulled by a root.

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 064_1510

This picture was made 5 years after collecting.

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 0105_210

Spring 2011, 8 years after collecting. The ramification gets better and better.

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 0120_210

Spring 2013. The tree gets a nice pot.
But first let´s see the roots i graftet 8 years ago.

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 0160_210

August 2013

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 0173_210

Now in autumn he has a nice colour.

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 0182_210

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 0198_210

Fagus Sylvatica, Hight 45cm. Pot Horst Heinzlreiter

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 0186_210

I hope you enjoy.

Herbert Aigner
Herbert A
Herbert A

Back to top Go down

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 Empty Re: Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003

Post  Clever Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:55 pm

Your trees are always very inspiring and this one is no different. Thanks for sharing!
Clever
Clever

Back to top Go down

Post  -Daniel- Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:57 am

I love Fagus sylvatica, native plant of my woods.

This is your very natural beech, you've done a great job over the years. Compliments.  

Best regards , Daniel
-Daniel-
-Daniel-

Back to top Go down

Post  sabamiki Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:02 pm

very nice progress and good looking tree Wink regards
sabamiki
sabamiki

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Hi Herbert

I like your tree Smile 

Will it be possible to cut the root here ( Black line), and the root will still grow?...or are you planning just to keep this bend deep in the soil.
No matter what, is it a very nice idea I will remember and use
Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 0160_210

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Herbert A Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:46 pm

Hallo Yvonne,

this are two different roots. It looks just on the foto as if it is one root.

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 Roots10

whish you a nice day

Herbert

Herbert A
Herbert A

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:31 am

Hi Herbert

I see Smile , but my question still stands....

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Herbert A Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:43 am

Hallo Yvonne,

i hope i understand your question. This is a graftet root. I drilled a hole trough the trunk and pulled a root trough. I cutet the donating part of the root that was on the backside of the trunk 2 years ago.

So the root is fused with the trunk and grows quite normal as every other root.

Kind regards
Herbert
Herbert A
Herbert A

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:55 am

Many thanks Herbert, the answer i was hoping for.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:10 pm

I like your beech very much. Do you use partial defoliation after the spring flush of leaves to get buds back toward the trunk? And when you cut back your branches 7 weeks after collecting, how many buds did you cut back to if you can remember?
Thanks for sharing, nice fall color!

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  Herbert A Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:30 pm

Hi Judy

JudyB wrote:Do you use partial defoliation after the spring flush of leaves to get buds back toward the trunk?
I do not use partial defoliation but i pinch the buds before they open. Inside the brown bud there are 6-8 tiny leaves. I take the top of the bud between two fingers and pull on it. Then remain still two or three leaves. Which causes short internodes.

This is the moment i pinch the buds.

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 Pinzie10

In the middle of june i reduze the size of the leaves. So light and sun comes to the branches and weak up new buds inside. This is also very good that the tree does not get mealybugs.

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 0102_110

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 0103_110

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 0104_110

No, i don´t remember how many buds i cut 7 weeks after collecting, but i have a Foto Laughing 

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 1st_cu10

I hope i could answer your questions.

Kind regards
Herbert
Herbert A
Herbert A

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyB Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:50 pm

Thank you very much for your answers Herbert. The photos are really very helpful. I've always taken whole leaves off in June I will try the cutting instead this next year.
Thanks again!

JudyB

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:51 am

Very nice job, congrats Herb thumbs up 
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Floris Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:36 pm

Very good. I like what you did on the roots

Floris

Back to top Go down

Post  cakiemcangio Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:54 am

Beautiful tree and pot. I like them.
Thankyou for sharing.

cakiemcangio

Back to top Go down

Post  Deano Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Wonderful! good to see some actual pics of leaf trimming too, will definitely be referring back to this post again.

Deano

Back to top Go down

Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003 Empty Progress of a Fagus Sylvatica - European Beech from 2003

Post  Thomas Urban Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi Herbert,

I like what you have done with this tree. I have a question regarding any pests you may or may not have had. Last year I noticed a sort of white puss and other white things around it on the underside of some leaves. What kind of bug or insect is this? I would rub them off with my hands and then spray them with water that had new zeolit pieces in it; I read somewhere that you can cut the exoskeleton and kill many bugs this way without introduction poisons at all.

Do you have any experience with these white flys or bugs at all and what I can do to avoid them?

Also towards fall (autumn) time I noticed some orange like stuff on the main trunk, but it wasn't thick and paste-like more like small droplets and they were hard.

Thank you!

Thomas
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  GerhardGerber Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:56 am

Lovely tree Herbert, well done as usual!  cheers 

GerhardGerber

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down