Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fagus sylvatica - Hêtre / Beech

4 posters

Go down

Fagus sylvatica - Hêtre / Beech Empty Fagus sylvatica - Hêtre / Beech

Post  AlainK Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:31 pm

Well, it seems no one has anything to say about my hornbeam. Very Happy

So here's a Fagus sylvatica I took from a river bankside in the "Massif Central" in the summer, in the late 1990s. It was probably no more than a year old at that time since the river would obviously rise in autumn and in spring.

I collected it and put it in a yogurt pot to bing it back home, then put it in a plastic pot the kind you buy thyme in supermarkets.

After a couple of years, I put it in a hedge (my best technique so far!) and "rediscovered" it in 2005. Alzheimer's silver lining of the cloud...

Jan. 2005:

Fagus sylvatica - Hêtre / Beech Fagus01_050129

Feb. 2005:

Fagus sylvatica - Hêtre / Beech Fagus01_050207

Jan. 2008:

Fagus sylvatica - Hêtre / Beech Fagus01_080116f

Feb. 2008:

Fagus sylvatica - Hêtre / Beech Fagus01_080524a

March 2008:

Fagus sylvatica - Hêtre / Beech Fagus01_090306d

Fagus sylvatica - Hêtre / Beech Fagus01_090306e

May 2008:

Fagus sylvatica - Hêtre / Beech Fagus01_090531b

Apr. 2010:

Fagus sylvatica - Hêtre / Beech Fagus01_100402a

Fagus sylvatica - Hêtre / Beech Fagus01_100402b

Still has to be trimmed and wired, but it's beginning to ramify nicely. Any critics?...
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Fagus sylvatica - Hêtre / Beech Empty Re: Fagus sylvatica - Hêtre / Beech

Post  Kev Bailey Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:53 pm

Developing very nicely Alain.

Have you tried early bud plucking to improve ramification? I do this with Beech in development. Wait until the first shoot from the pointy buds start to "undroop" and then pinch or cut back to one or two leaves. This forces two growth spurts and increases chances of backbudding.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:50 pm

I will definitely do it, after removing the bigger end-of-the-branch buds.

Beech are not easy trees to grow where I live, usually a bit hot and dry in the summer, rather "continental". I miss the mountains of my childhood with a lot of snow in the winter and the song of the criquets in the hot summer months that were interrupted by mountains storms echoeing all around. and the smell of cows' dung in which we used to put crackers, and ask friends to have a look at it for a laugh. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi Alain.
Very nice development. Very Happy Potential of the tree is really big. ThumbsUp

Beech is very fond of high levels of substrate. To improve building the tree is almost a necessity. Stability of temperature and moisture in the substrate. I would recommend to start to get a bowl.

Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:27 pm

Dobry wiechor Pavel,

Thanks for your input.

Using a rather deep container is what I did for a couple of years. Now that it is in a much shallower pot, the tree seems all right. Of course, last year was very wet and it liked it. But I feel now it's time for it to ramify so I don't think I will repot it this year, on the contrary, there is still enough soil for it to be healthy, but the growth won't be as strong as last year's.

I'm taking a bet that the climate this year won't be as hot and dry as some predict... Shocked
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  RKatzin Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:46 am

Hi Alain, Very nice Beech! I live in an area of Oregon reputed to have the same climate as the wine regions of France. Hot, dry summers grow good grapes, but are the bane of my Beech trees. In August the hot winds scorch the leaves. I'm going to try keeping them in the shade more this season. I had a look a your Hornbeam, also a very nice tree. Nice work on both.
RKatzin
RKatzin

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:03 am

Thanks for your comments RKatzin.

I don't know if leaf-trimming (as in the photo from May 2008) helps, that's what I do to help the buds closer to the trunk stay healthy, but it's true to keep beech green most years where I live too...
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down