Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Late summer displays

+4
Smithy
JimLewis
fiona
Jeremy
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Late summer displays - Page 2 Empty Re: Late summer displays

Post  Jeremy Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:33 am

Norma wrote:Thank you, Morten. Several of us had this discussion at our club's yearly judged show this past weekend. The BEST of SHOW winner was moved to the large tokonoma and some thought Sara Rayner's Rocky Mountain juniper should be shown on the left and others were sure the right. Your imaginary line from the center of the base to the top is very clear and easy to remember. Here's a photo of the awesome tree.
Norma
Late summer displays - Page 2 Img_0110

Norma.
Did Sara express her view at the direction? If so .. Question
It looks to me as if the juniper has been styled to be viewed as a right - left tree, but the trunk / apex shows it to be left- right affraid
Late summer displays - Page 2 D110
The tree just might be viewed by some as viewable from both sides of the scroll, if you get the middle line at the right angle and perhaps rotate a few degrees alining apex and trunk base? Perhaps a slight restyling of the apex might allow a r-l display?

Is this an example of the early styling decisions, not taking the trunk direction into sufficient account.
Artistic freedom is to be encouraged and supported, but it should first understand the guidelines it bends and perhaps breaks, to truly effectively challenge the tradition / artistic norms.

I'm just off to check my early styling decisions............ Embarassed
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Late summer displays - Page 2 Empty Re: Late summer displays

Post  Norma Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:24 pm

Hi Jerry,

We talked to Sara at the Tuesday general meeting and she displays her accents to the right of the tree. The photo was taken between crowds of people at Minnesota State Fair . Almost two million people attended this year's Fair, which is one of among 5 of the largest in the USA. The quality of the club's bonsai were excellent but very few show scrolls with their entries, partly because of the difficulty of achieving a clean display with the canvas curtain backdrops.

I really admire what your club is doing in display cheers

Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2