Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What? E. Red Cedars (J. virginiana) with movement?!?! Yamadori Q

+2
sunip
appalachianOwl
6 posters

Go down

What? E. Red Cedars (J. virginiana) with movement?!?! Yamadori Q Empty What? E. Red Cedars (J. virginiana) with movement?!?! Yamadori Q

Post  appalachianOwl Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:53 pm

Hullo all! Before the questions start rolling, just want to say thanks to everyone involved here, a vast amount of knowlege has pooled here. Doing some research on the subject of juniper yamadori, the one thing i am left wondering is it ok to reduce the braches proir to collection? Found two out of hundreds with beautiful movement and the "usable aspects" of the tree low enough and foliage tight enough on the trunk to develope, rather unusual for it's natural growing habbit. A little large at the moment though, would reducing now and collecting in spring be ok? Any expeince/advice/tips would be geatly appreciated.

one:
What? E. Red Cedars (J. virginiana) with movement?!?! Yamadori Q 013-Copy_zpse27ab21b
What? E. Red Cedars (J. virginiana) with movement?!?! Yamadori Q 022-9_zpse811f6bc
What? E. Red Cedars (J. virginiana) with movement?!?! Yamadori Q 023-8_zpse898dbc7
knife 11cm
What? E. Red Cedars (J. virginiana) with movement?!?! Yamadori Q 017-Copy_zps49ced2f2

two:
What? E. Red Cedars (J. virginiana) with movement?!?! Yamadori Q 006-Copy_zps41082628
What? E. Red Cedars (J. virginiana) with movement?!?! Yamadori Q Choper5_zpse31dff2a
What? E. Red Cedars (J. virginiana) with movement?!?! Yamadori Q 008-Copy2_zpsca2daff1

What? E. Red Cedars (J. virginiana) with movement?!?! Yamadori Q 026-6_zps33a22a50
this thing is still alive! (barely but it is) had share, such awesome beings!
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

What? E. Red Cedars (J. virginiana) with movement?!?! Yamadori Q Empty Re: What? E. Red Cedars (J. virginiana) with movement?!?! Yamadori Q

Post  sunip Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:17 pm

Hello,
I would make those intended cuts and wait for one or two growing seasons to collect them.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

What? E. Red Cedars (J. virginiana) with movement?!?! Yamadori Q Empty Re: What? E. Red Cedars (J. virginiana) with movement?!?! Yamadori Q

Post  JimLewis Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:57 pm

Agree. At least two.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:42 pm

Sorry did not specify the orange marks are not where i intend to cut now, but where the "useable" part starts. Only planned to top the first one just a bit for transportation(please let me know is this is still not ok, will listen), however the second one is quite a bit larger so advice given will be put to use. Thanks for quick reponses aswell.
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoo Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:50 pm

Interesting movement. Glad to see E. red cedars being used. Very underutilized IMO. Good luck with whatever you end up doing, keep updating and thanks for sharing.
Hoo
Hoo

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:00 pm

Hello
I do not know this specific species and the conditions locally.
Generally spoken this sort of trees (like juniper) can lose some roots but they need the energy of the green needles to regrow roots.
The energy is coming from the young green mainly, when this green is cut by more then 20% the tree is in serious stress.
That is why i suggested a save way by cutting the green first and let the tree grow some new green closer tho the base and collect after the tree recovered from this and can support new rootgrow after collection.
Save some miccorhizzum from the original location the roots will benefit, place the tree frost free and mist the green.
I think it is the best is to hear somebody with experience of this species locally.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:07 pm

Really glad to see someone taking a crack at this species. In PA they pop up just about everywhere and I was never sure as to the suitability for bonsai material. They appear to be prolific growers lend themselves to some really nice options. One the downside, they seem to grow on the leggy side, but then again I've no experience in working on them.

Good luck with it.
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks for the more indepth info sunip, will take advice given and be patient. One of the many aspects of bonsai am drawn to is the time factor, psshhhhh to instant gratification, good things are worth a wait. Thanks awell Hoosteasdy and Orion, there is a beautiful "bunjin" i think, E. red cedar at the NC arboretum, only one have seen in person though. Will be sure to update in the future (next year). Thanks again all, think i have a clear vision now, anyone with any more useful/helpful info though i've got open ears.
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Hello,
The best advise i can think of is:
To get yourself enough trees to work with,
that way giving a tree a chance to recover and do his own part, will be easier.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:27 pm

The book Bonsai From The Wild By Nick Lenz has a section about red cedar as bonsai. It is a great book especially for those from the east coast because he discusses mostly species that are found there. If you don't have a copy get one. You will be happy you did.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:44 pm

I like it Sunip. Very Happy Will be sure to keep this book in mind, thanks for the recomendation, Todd. Cuts made this afternooon ,during a beautiful snow fall, will update in at least two grow seasons. Thanks all for question answered and more...
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Sun Feb 03, 2013 2:41 am

DreadyKGB wrote:The book Bonsai From The Wild By Nick Lenz has a section about red cedar as bonsai. It is a great book especially for those from the east coast because he discusses mostly species that are found there. If you don't have a copy get one. You will be happy you did.

Todd

ditto on the Lenz recommendation
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down