Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My other Chinese Elm

4 posters

Go down

My other Chinese Elm Empty My other Chinese Elm

Post  Smithy Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:26 pm

This is my other Chinese Elm .

This is how it was when it first arrived in my garden.

My other Chinese Elm 003-21

My other Chinese Elm 006-17

This was it in the summer 2012

My other Chinese Elm 0552

My other Chinese Elm 018-3

This was it today , needs a bit of moss cleaning off the trunk

My other Chinese Elm 018-3_zps8e29ba08

My other Chinese Elm 019-4_zpsfcf61879
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

My other Chinese Elm Empty Re: My other Chinese Elm

Post  hometeamrocker Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:44 pm

Very nice and nice pot as well. What is the pot?

hometeamrocker

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:48 pm

Thanks , i have no idea who made the pot . It wasnt very expensive and i rarely look at who makes them unless i buy them off the potter.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Zach Smith Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:36 pm

Nice elm. You've done a great job of chasing back the apex. My only comment is that the silhouette looks a little too "formal," like a slanting bell shape. Could you maybe introduce a little irregularity?

That's just a nit, of course, but it caught my eye.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

My other Chinese Elm Empty my other chinese elm

Post  moyogijohn Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:39 am

Smithy,,both your elms are great !! the first you have worked with more,,you can tell,,that... Love the bark on them both they must have been in the ground a long time.. i would be very happy to have either one !!!! great work take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:57 am

Zach Smith wrote:Nice elm. You've done a great job of chasing back the apex. My only comment is that the silhouette looks a little too "formal," like a slanting bell shape. Could you maybe introduce a little irregularity?

That's just a nit, of course, but it caught my eye.

Zach

Hi Zach,
Your right about the shape ,as it grows i will try and get some irregularity in there . This tree has a lot of good points but also very difficult to change as there are no branches down the one side . When i got it i played around so much with changing the front and different angles . I do just live with what it is now .
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:05 am

moyogijohn wrote:Smithy,,both your elms are great !! the first you have worked with more,,you can tell,,that... Love the bark on them both they must have been in the ground a long time.. i would be very happy to have either one !!!! great work take care john

Thanks John, yes the other i have been able to put my stamp on more even though you'd be surprised how much i had to take off this one that was growing in the middle . This one came from a guy who had this about 25 years ago as mallsai and as far as i know he grew it on in a pot. I do like this one , the bark is fantastic but there are things about it that i don't like. Maybe i move it on in the future , who knows.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:08 am

I found a pic after i cleaned everything out and moved some of the branches about. I remember taking this one thinking this would maybe be the front next time.

My other Chinese Elm 008-15
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down