Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese Yew

+2
fiona
john crawford
6 posters

Go down

Chinese Yew Empty Chinese Yew

Post  john crawford Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:36 pm

A Chinese Yew. 6 years old, 27 cm high. could some one please give me advice on what to pinch back. new or old growth?

Chinese Yew Johns_27

Last edited by john crawford on Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
john crawford
john crawford

Back to top Go down

Chinese Yew Empty Re: Chinese Yew

Post  fiona Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:24 am

Hi John and welcome to the forum. Maybe you could give us some more information about your tree(s), or maybe you have specific questions you want to ask about them - e.g. future design options or whatever. I rather think the readers are a bit reluctant to respond as they don't know if you want any comments.

Are you Portsmouth UK or USA?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  john crawford Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:37 pm

fiona wrote:Hi John and welcome to the forum. Maybe you could give us some more information about your tree(s), or maybe you have specific questions you want to ask about them - e.g. future design options or whatever. I rather think the readers are a bit reluctant to respond as they don't know if you want any comments.

Are you Portsmouth UK or USA?
im in portsmouth uk. any advice would be apprecited. as im all new to this and dont have too much exp. ive got more pics to post. but i get a friend to do it for me. having trouble posting pics off my comp.
john crawford
john crawford

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:58 pm

The scientific name is Podocarpus macrophyllus. I would think they'd be a tough row to hoe in the UK as they need LOTS and LOTS of sunlight to thrive. And, while they can take colder weather than most people allow them, they REALLY like warmth.

It may only be the camera angle, but yours looks a bit topheavy. The trunk looks to be narrower at the base than it has above the half-way point. At the very least it is petty thin all the way up and probably should be shortened considerably.

You can prune now, but in your area I don't thinnk I would repot until some time in June.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:59 pm

I certainly wouldn't risk one of these up here in the west of Scotland as it would have to be indoors most of the year.

Do you have any bonsai clubs near you, John? You don't say if you are a member of any or indeed how much bonsai knowledge you already have. We always tell newcomers to the forum that it is a good idea to go along to a couple of club meetings and get a feel for things. You might pick up better material for your climate too.

Fiona
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:55 am

The first thing I would do is take a pitching wedge and send that little white object closer to a hole somewhere.
Chinese Yew Golf_e10

The leaf size makes me think this is the maki variety. If so, this is a very slow grower which is saying something as when placed in a bonsai pot podocarpus in general are very slow growing but the maki is even slower. It's not a bad tree to have as it takes very little work - wire can stay on for years (even here in my climate in Florida). But in your life time and climate don't expect it to change much. If you want to try a comparable tree, try a Taxus - the native Yew to your area. Or get some Maples and a Scots pine. You'll have better (and faster) results and more fun.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:23 am

I agree wholeheartedly with Rob.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin_ Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:24 pm

I'm in London and I've got one of these growing in my garden, bought about twenty years ago. I can confirm they are very slow gowers, even with fifteen years in the ground.

Nobody has answered your original question yet, but it would be also useful to know how long you've had the tree and what conditions you're keeping it in before you're given advice on styling it.

Have you any books on bonsai? I'd recommend getting hold of "The Bonsai Survival Manual" by Colin Lewis. It's out-of-print but there's always cheap copies on eBay or Abe. It is aimed at people buying these mass-produced imported trees, explains what is often wrong with them and how they can be improved but also how to make a good choice in the first place.

Justin_

Back to top Go down

Post  john crawford Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Justin_ wrote:I'm in London and I've got one of these growing in my garden, bought about twenty years ago. I can confirm they are very slow gowers, even with fifteen years in the ground.

Nobody has answered your original question yet, but it would be also useful to know how long you've had the tree and what conditions you're keeping it in before you're given advice on styling it.

Have you any books on bonsai? I'd recommend getting hold of "The Bonsai Survival Manual" by Colin Lewis. It's out-of-print but there's always cheap copies on eBay or Abe. It is aimed at people buying these mass-produced imported trees, explains what is often wrong with them and how they can be improved but also how to make a good choice in the first place.

i brought it as an indoor tree, its sat in front of a window that gets sun all day, i have tried it out doors in the last week in a green house because the weather has been really nice and it seems to be doing well and bringing it in at night.
ive got a few books , BONSAI from native trees and shrubs by WERNER M. BUSCH, BONSAI step by step to growin success by Dave Pike and BONSAI MASTERCLASS by peter chan . thank you for any advice or comments always welcome
john crawford
john crawford

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:12 pm

Hi John and welcome to this mad pastime.
There are some great clubs on your doorstep, Eastligh, Solent and Wessex, just google them

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down