Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First bonsai help needed

+15
Khaimraj Seepersad
noodledude
Andrew Legg
Ashiod
adam1234
eddieperth
Sakaki
Billy M. Rhodes
Xavier de Lapeyre
Justin_
leatherback
fiona
Poink88
bonsaisr
Neli
19 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

First bonsai help needed - Page 6 Empty Re: First bonsai help needed

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:41 am

Neli,

as not every oil painting/ sculpture can be considered - Fine Art [ note I use not the term - art ] so too not every bonsai or penjing can be considered - Fine Art or Fine Craft.

The vast majority of trees being grown in pots will be - Garden Craft.

A tree must go beyond, being an attractive shape, for example, a yammadori [ collected tree from the wild ] must be trained to well beyond, that state which first caught the collector's eye.

You must reach the state of - contemplation - whereas the many bonsai will reach - memory.
In other words, when observed, these bonsai will stir memories, but little else, which in itself is great.

There are some Japanese and Chinese trees that easily reach - memories - but I have yet to see the - contemplate.

Unfortunately, as was explained to me years ago on the ClayArt list -

"What's difference between Craft and Art, price paid for the object."

Hee hee Art costs much more Hee hee.

So you will see many pushing for the Art part of bonsai, simply because they can get a better price.
[Bonsai pots,tools, soils, fertilizer and trees cost, expecially as you go up the scale Yi Xing pots, Masakuni tools for example.]
AND that $$ nonsense is very sad.

Looking forward to seeing your tamarind being trained, I saw your image a page or two back.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:07 pm

That thing about being able to see the trunk all the way to the top of the tree can be taken to unsightly extremes. Even ugly.

Yes, you do want to be able to see the trunk -- and how it moves -- well up into the tree, but the foliage will normally get denser and denser as you move upwards, and as you near the top it is perfectly acceptable for branches to point out toward the viewer. Since branches are normally much shorter by the time you reach the top, they're really not "eye-poking" branches.

Here is an example - Korean hornbeam -- you can glimpse the trunk almost to the top, but it is not exposed to the world except at the lower half of the tree.

First bonsai help needed - Page 6 5_11_a11

I can think of very few times when you want a bonsai to move (slant) away from the viewer. But the "bowing to the viewer" can be taken to extremes. Generally, I think the forward movement should be quite subtle, and it should not be sudden; the overall movement of the tree should be toward the viewer, not a sudden set of branches groping out toward the front.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:54 pm

leatherback wrote:Hm.. Art has no rules? I don't think I agree there. Even if you set some rules there is a lot of freedo. But most rules in Bonsai are guidelines I'd say. There is this rule that states that a tree should be no taller than 6 times the trunk diameter. Yet, if you look at trees, you find spectacular bonsai which do not meet the rule. The same for not allowing to have T-bar branches, inverse taper. The art is in creating a tree that leaves the impression of an old weather tree, which is also pleasing to the eye. How you reach that point is normally not the question.
Hi Darling, Rules make for restrictions...art is a freedom of expression...We were never going to have Picaso if there were rules in art. JMHO.
Maybe there can be guide lines in how to prepare a canvass or paint techniques...but not how to draw...That is how I think...Perspective for example should not be taken as a rule...in art...paintings...
But as You state it...rules in bonsai are there to be broken! To a degree...that does not affect the final result.
I went to the farm today. One worker knows where the mopane is. I promiced him a good bonus if he collects some for me. They are on the other end of the farm, and our farm U drive an hour from one end to the other. So if he finds some I will send them to You, if not next season.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:11 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Neli,

as not every oil painting/ sculpture can be considered - Fine Art [ note I use not the term - art ] so too not every bonsai or penjing can be considered - Fine Art or Fine Craft.

The vast majority of trees being grown in pots will be - Garden Craft.
I think one has to decide why is he making bonsai...bonsai has many different benefits to different people. Ones You decide it is easy. I thinkI do it for fun at the moment, simply because i have no deep understanding yet...and You need a lot of feeling, the gift of understanding, and appreciation...At the moment I am at the stage of what apeals to me, and makes me happy, but I hope that with time i will manage to have a deeper understanding of the art form of bonsai...at list I am trying..

A tree must go beyond, being an attractive shape, for example, a yammadori [ collected tree from the wild ] must be trained to well beyond, that state which first caught the collector's eye.
I saw someone said it is a journey...and a very important part of the creation...even the journey it self is enough at the moment for me. I am still trying to figure out lots of things.

You must reach the state of - contemplation - whereas the many bonsai will reach - memory.
In other words, when observed, these bonsai will stir memories, but little else, which in itself is great.

There are some Japanese and Chinese trees that easily reach - memories - but I have yet to see the - contemplate.
MAYBE YOU CAN SHOW ME A TREE which makes you contemplate. I would like to understand it better.

Unfortunately, as was explained to me years ago on the ClayArt list -

"What's difference between Craft and Art, price paid for the object."

Hee hee Art costs much more Hee hee.
Always????Why? What is the reason?

So you will see many pushing for the Art part of bonsai, simply because they can get a better price.
[Bonsai pots,tools, soils, fertilizer and trees cost, expecially as you go up the scale Yi Xing pots, Masakuni tools for example.]
AND that $$ nonsense is very sad.
I have one principle. Never mix business with pleasure...It will spoil both. I dont mind spending for my pleasure, but the moment I start profiting from it...it becomes a business, and not pure pleasure.

Looking forward to seeing your tamarind being trained, I saw your image a page or two back.
I left it in the ground...just chopped it half way. Plan to style it in the ground a bit before I dig it out.
Later.
Khaimraj
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:18 pm

JimLewis wrote:That thing about being able to see the trunk all the way to the top of the tree can be taken to unsightly extremes. Even ugly.

Yes, you do want to be able to see the trunk -- and how it moves -- well up into the tree, but the foliage will normally get denser and denser as you move upwards, and as you near the top it is perfectly acceptable for branches to point out toward the viewer. Since branches are normally much shorter by the time you reach the top, they're really not "eye-poking" branches.
Thanks Jim, it makes me understand it much better.
Here is an example - Korean hornbeam -- you can glimpse the trunk almost to the top, but it is not exposed to the world except at the lower half of the tree.
I feel there is so much to learn, and it is fun learning and understanding things better. And here You need to understand things first. A good example. I tried to look at so many pictures to understand things, and saw lots of controversial elements, and was getting confused. Now I see a bit better the BIG picture.

First bonsai help needed - Page 6 5_11_a11

I can think of very few times when you want a bonsai to move (slant) away from the viewer. But the "bowing to the viewer" can be taken to extremes. Generally, I think the forward movement should be quite subtle, and it should not be sudden; the overall movement of the tree should be toward the viewer, not a sudden set of branches groping out toward the front.
This is one think I will not forget. Thanks! Well explained.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:32 pm

Neli,

for me as Bonsai goes, it is still a love of trees, I grew up in Forest Reserve, and did a lot of climbing, vine swinging and just looking.Memories.

I can suggest a few books, but I don't know of any trees on-line, but remember I spoke of - memories - and not contemplation, haven't found one tree that does that for me. For example, Titian's Sacred and Profane, can be contemplated.

Cost wise, in Fine Art, images or sculpture that make one contemplate and have done so throughout the ages for others, have universal ideas, as well as exceptional paint handling etc.
Craft is normally taken as household stuff for general use.
Yes, there is also Art Pottery, I left an example of such a few months ago, -

http://syracusethenandnow.org/Nghbrhds/Strathmore/AARobineau.htm

and there will be other examples of where craft rises to great creative heights, but look at the thought and time spent on such items.

I sell Oil Paintings and Drawings for a living, but it is purely a case of you like it, you can purchase, if you don't like it, no problem.
Bonsai is a hobby, no sales.

Be careful, on this side, and our purely clay type soils, tamarinds, with trunks larger than pencil thicknesses, seldom ever survive. On Jun's side, they are able to harvest very large trunks [ Philippines - possibly volcanic soils ]
Typed just in case he sees, and has a comment or two to make.
Best to you.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:26 pm

for me as Bonsai goes, it is still a love of trees, I grew up in Forest Reserve, and did a lot of climbing, vine swinging and just looking.Memories.
I was talking today about learning to appreciate the little things in life...it makes your life so much richer..Money is not everything if you fail to appreciate the little things, or big ones like trees. But I take trees as little things too, for not many people have learned to find beauty in them.

I can suggest a few books, but I don't know of any trees on-line, but remember I spoke of - memories - and not contemplation, haven't found one tree that does that for me. For example, Titian's Sacred and Profane, can be contemplated.
Do U mean that You contemplate something you dont understand?Or do You call the process of trying to understand it contemplation...because not many people have understood that painting...It is a mystery!

Cost wise, in Fine Art, images or sculpture that make one contemplate and have done so throughout the ages for others, have universal ideas, as well as exceptional paint handling etc.
Craft is normally taken as household stuff for general use.
Yes, there is also Art Pottery, I left an example of such a few months ago, -

http://syracusethenandnow.org/Nghbrhds/Strathmore/AARobineau.htm

and there will be other examples of where craft rises to great creative heights, but look at the thought and time spent on such items.
Yes craft can become art, despite its utilitarian properties.

I sell Oil Paintings and Drawings for a living, but it is purely a case of you like it, you can purchase, if you don't like it, no problem.
Bonsai is a hobby, no sales.bonsai for me I hope will become a creative expression ones I begin to understand its guiding principles.

Be careful, on this side, and our purely clay type soils, tamarinds, with trunks larger than pencil thicknesses, seldom ever survive. On Jun's side, they are able to harvest very large trunks [ Philippines - possibly volcanic soils ]
Typed just in case he sees, and has a comment or two to make.
Best to you.
Khaimraj
My Tamarind is less than two years old...and is 2m+ high and 3-4" diameter trunk. I think it does well here. I have seen some very old trees.
Thanks for the advise!
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:28 pm

When does craft becomes art? I saw the ceramic pottery ware...is it when it appeals to our senses?
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:37 pm

Ah well, now there's an oft-discussed topic on here. If you go to the google search facility on the Home page you should be able to summon some up some previous threads to digest at leisure.

Make sure you have a lot of time to spare before reading them though - they do go on a bit and all it has ever shown is that there will never be consensus on this topic. Wink Laughing
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:04 pm

fiona wrote:Ah well, now there's an oft-discussed topic on here. If you go to the google search facility on the Home page you should be able to summon some up some previous threads to digest at leisure.

Make sure you have a lot of time to spare before reading them though - they do go on a bit and all it has ever shown is that there will never be consensus on this topic. Wink Laughing
UUUUUPS!
Did not know it is a sensitive subject. I will look for the threads...but I sensed some discord over the subject already...he he he!
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:12 pm

but I sensed some discord over the subject already...

Not discord, really. Just confusion of the "I-don't-know-much-about-art, but-I know-it-when-I-see-it" variety. Which is all anyone can say.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Neli,

chuckle, if you find my response short and perhaps clinical, it is because we have these types of discussions on the Fine Art lists, and also in the Studios. After a time, you start to finish the other person's sentences - chuckle.
Been on lists since 1998, by the way.

I contemplate, apart from meaning[ intellectual ], technical stuff and emotional appeal. The mind drifts on for hours.

The appeal - [ your last response ]
For many of us [ Realist oil painters ] when there is an appeal to the Intellect, the emotion and the craft or the Head, the heart and the hand.

The little things of life, or to see a world in a grain of sand.
I'll stop now Smile
Until.
Khaimraj

Fukien tea airlayer, first year of training -

First bonsai help needed - Page 6 Fukien10
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:33 pm

chuckle, if you find my response short and perhaps clinical, it is because we have these types of discussions on the Fine Art lists, and also in the Studios. After a time, you start to finish the other person's sentences - chuckle.
Been on lists since 1998, by the way.

I contemplate, apart from meaning[ intellectual ], technical stuff and emotional appeal. The mind drifts on for hours.

The appeal - [ your last response ]
For many of us [ Realist oil painters ] when there is an appeal to the Intellect, the emotion and the craft or the Head, the heart and the hand.

The little things of life, or to see a world in a grain of sand.
I'll stop now Smile
Until.
Khaimraj

Fukien tea airlayer, first year of training -

First bonsai help needed - Page 6 Fukien10
Thank You Darling!
Much appreciated. Nice bonsai...hope I will learn the craft of styling them in order to express my creativity...I know You will know what I mean!
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Neli wrote:MAYBE YOU CAN SHOW ME A TREE which makes you contemplate. I would like to understand it better.

Hi Nellie,

A little while ago I stumbled across a post on the old bonsai from Japan, especially on how bonsai nowadays are all suffering from obestity. The aim is on thick trunks. However, the older bonsai school used to also show slender trees. It is there that I found this image, which I think is a bonsai to sit down and 'contemplate'. Why is it beautifull? I don't know. But I can watch and watch and just enjoy. I think that is where it becomes art.

First bonsai help needed - Page 6 1bonsa10

The whole series: http://saruyama-bonsai.blogspot.de/2012_05_01_archive.html

If you could score Mopane seed that would be great!

Cheers
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:21 pm

If one used the proportions of actual trees, what size proportionately would bonsai efforts end up being?

I tend to prefer the pre-1950 bonsai.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:24 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:If one used the proportions of actual trees, what size proportionately would bonsai efforts end up being?

I tend to prefer the pre-1950 bonsai.
Later.
Khaimraj

As I understand it, the idea now is that you create a tree as seen from below. But I agree. More slender is prettier, for me. More like a true tree.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:39 pm

leatherback wrote:
Neli wrote:MAYBE YOU CAN SHOW ME A TREE which makes you contemplate. I would like to understand it better.

Hi Nellie,

A little while ago I stumbled across a post on the old bonsai from Japan, especially on how bonsai nowadays are all suffering from obestity. The aim is on thick trunks. However, the older bonsai school used to also show slender trees. It is there that I found this image, which I think is a bonsai to sit down and 'contemplate'. Why is it beautifull? I don't know. But I can watch and watch and just enjoy. I think that is where it becomes art.

First bonsai help needed - Page 6 1bonsa10

The whole series: http://saruyama-bonsai.blogspot.de/2012_05_01_archive.html

If you could score Mopane seed that would be great!

Cheers
I promiced you the seeds and will do everything possible to find them for you.
I love this bonsai! I agree with you...I just mentioned yesterday in a pm to someone that I dont like over styled unnatural looking bonsai...And this tree is what I like...I like natural looking trees...not too pushy, vulgar, loud like a woman with too much makeup!
I like the subtleness of this one...it is classy and elegant in my language!
Thanks You for showing it to me...but it breaks some rules...he he he!
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:30 am

Neli wrote:
fiona wrote:Ah well, now there's an oft-discussed topic on here. If you go to the google search facility on the Home page you should be able to summon some up some previous threads to digest at leisure.

UUUUUPS!
Did not know it is a sensitive subject. I will look for the threads...but I sensed some discord over the subject already...he he he!

Hi Neli,

What I say below is no reference to Fiona, but rather just following on from her comments.

In all walks of life there are people who feel the need to recognised either by themselves or by their peers as superior to others. They are more glamorous than others. They are more intelligent at others. They are better at some sport than others, or they are better at some form of art than others. For every human endeavour there is an example I can show you. My personal feeling is that this is fine. It is after all human nature to be competitive. What can happen with some of these people is that they will denigrate the work of other people in that field as being inferior. The often heard statement of "that's not art" comes to mind, and I hate to say it, but the same applies in bonsai. "That's not bonsai!". In my mind, the best thing to do is simply to ignore the whole debate and not get caught up in what constitutes a bonsai. By the very nature of human perception, we all enjoy and appreciate things differently, so how we can endeavour to apply a fixed rule to what constitutes art, or even what constitutes good art is beyond me entirely. For me it gets to the point where I'm willing to not refer to my trees as bonsai if it makes others happier that I don't call them that. At the end of the day, and as I always say, its about the journey and the end result . . . . . . . well, there ain't one in bonsai.

So Neli, embrace your fantastic enthusiasm and enjoy the journey!

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:23 am

Hi Neli,

Thanks to the assistence of Andrew Legg on this forum I have found a dealer that sells mopane seeds. Will give it a try and see whether they can / will ship to Euope. http://silverhillseeds.co.za/byEntireCat.asp
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:50 am

Neli wrote: ...... I dont like over styled unnatural looking bonsai... like a woman with too much makeup!

You've met my sister-in-law then, eh?

I think Andrew is onto something about the difficulty with defining "art" (and applying it to bonsai) when such definitions often describe a FINISHED PIECE...... which bonsai never is.

It's up to the individual, as with any other art form, except for a unique sort of "on again"/"off again" beauty that is in the eye of a single bonsai beholder ....... "beauty on", needs a prune, "beauty off". scratch

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:58 am

Scion wrote:
Neli wrote: ...... I dont like over styled unnatural looking bonsai... like a woman with too much makeup!

You've met my sister-in-law then, eh?

I think Andrew is onto something about the difficulty with defining "art" (and applying it to bonsai) when such definitions often describe a FINISHED PIECE...... which bonsai never is.

It's up to the individual, as with any other art form, except for a unique sort of "on again"/"off again" beauty that is in the eye of a single bonsai beholder ....... "beauty on", needs a prune, "beauty off". scratch

Yip, and all you need is Charlize Aniston to wear a pair of gloves made from squirrel tails and all of a sudden squirrel tails are right and everything else is wrong. What shoes are you wearing, an why are they any better or worse than the ones I'm wearing? You like your shoes and I like mine, so who's right? Me of course! pirat

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:48 am

Actually, it seems to be more a case of - Artists are geniuses - and since any effort is Art, I must be a genius.

Hence the response often seen on Art forums -

"just because no one understands you, it does not mean you are a genius" [ this is leftover from Van Gogh ------- whose work is very easily duplicated ------- and if you can do it you are an Artist and once again a - Genius ]

Additionally, as Bonsai goes, if you grow one, you have something to show and it makes you someone.
It's a prestige thingee.

As humans grow older, many often begin to look for achievements, for the many Bonsai is their only achievement and extremely important, better still it is Art.

Later.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:50 am

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Actually, it seems to be more a case of - Artists are geniuses - and since any effort is Art, I must be a genius.

Hence the response often seen on Art forums -

"just because no one understands you, it does not mean you are a genius" [ this is leftover from Van Gogh ------- whose work is very easily duplicated ------- and if you can do it you are an Artist and once again a - Genius ]

Additionally, as Bonsai goes, if you grow one, you have something to show and it makes you someone.
It's a prestige thingee.

As humans grow older, many often begin to look for achievements, for the many Bonsai is their only achievement and extremely important, better still it is Art.

Later.
Khaimraj

Oooooooooooooooooooooooooo, and I thought I was being provocative! We should get together for a dinner sometime! cheers cheers

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:13 am

Andrew Legg wrote:
Neli wrote:

UUUUUPS!

Hi Neli,

What I say below is no reference to Fiona, but rather just following on from her comments.

In all walks of life there are people who feel the need to recognised either by themselves or by their peers as superior to others. They are more glamorous than others. They are more intelligent at others. They are better at some sport than others, or they are better at some form of art than others. For every human endeavour there is an example I can show you. My personal feeling is that this is fine. It is after all human nature to be competitive. What can happen with some of these people is that they will denigrate the work of other people in that field as being inferior. The often heard statement of "that's not art" comes to mind, and I hate to say it, but the same applies in bonsai. "That's not bonsai!". In my mind, the best thing to do is simply to ignore the whole debate and not get caught up in what constitutes a bonsai. By the very nature of human perception, we all enjoy and appreciate things differently, so how we can endeavour to apply a fixed rule to what constitutes art, or even what constitutes good art is beyond me entirely. For me it gets to the point where I'm willing to not refer to my trees as bonsai if it makes others happier that I don't call them that. At the end of the day, and as I always say, its about the journey and the end result . . . . . . . well, there ain't one in bonsai.

So Neli, embrace your fantastic enthusiasm and enjoy the journey!

Cheers,

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
I fully agree. Humbleness is virtue for me. I am a member of an asian Koi forum...and some other american and European. The people on the Asian forum have really impressed me by being humble. It is like they compete who is more humble. No quarrels there or arguments. Very impressive.
I got in trouble yesterday...clicked on unanswered posts, and felt sorry ....so I decided to be kind and answer some posts even just as encouragement. OOOOOps! Did not realize that that is from the gallery.
One thing I have realised as that people are not stupid...they see and understand what is happening...and judge accordingly. So if one wants to show off they see it...if one is rude they see it...so I just ignore for I know it will be seen and noted.
Competitiveness is a way to draw one deeper in the hobby. That is why there are competitions to officially satisfy that urge. I agree nothing wrong with it as long as it does not go beyond acceptable limits.
So Darling, as long as You know why You are in this hobby, and have clear expectations, all is fine. And as You said the journey is that matters...but there is one thing that matters even more...to me...You make friendships on the way...and that is all good! As long as You do this as a hobby your objective is to have fun and be happy and if you have a friends to share this joy with it is even more joyful experience for me.
I am getting some wonderful PMs from lots of lovely kind hearted people...it means a lot to me.
I went out of my way to look for seeds for people here, and I can tell You I have enjoyed it a lot, for making people happy makes me happy too.
I dont have unreasonable expectations also from this hobby. It is all fun for me...and I know it needs lots of learning....but it is part of the journey and I will get there one day. Bonsai are meant to be enjoyed, and You are the one that will look at it all the time, all it matters is that it makes YOU happy first.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:15 am

Just reporting what I have seen over the years.
I prefer Chinese [ what the cook would prefer to eat not the customer stuff ] or Italian, also partial to Steak and Kidney pie from madcow free animals.
Stay Well
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next