Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adding waterfall to penjing experiment

+2
Jake16
leslonsdale
6 posters

Go down

Adding waterfall to penjing experiment Empty Adding waterfall to penjing experiment

Post  leslonsdale Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:00 pm

I'm experimenting adding 'waterfalls' to certain penjing projects by pouring onto a teflon pan a thin strip of 2-part epoxy (same I use for water) after adding a little white acrylic paint. When it dries, you can peel it up and attach it with a pin to the side of a penjing whereever a waterfall might look appropiate.

In the examples here, I will eventually replace the tree with one that is smaller for a better size perspective. That tree was there before I added the mudmen accessories. Now the tree looks way too big.

Anyway, I'm open to feedback, constructive criticism, etc. That is the only way we learn and can improve. Does the effect look too 'cheesy' or artificial?

LesAdding waterfall to penjing experiment Bonsai12Adding waterfall to penjing experiment Bonsai13
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

Adding waterfall to penjing experiment Empty Re: Adding waterfall to penjing experiment

Post  Jake16 Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:40 pm

I think it looks really nice. The only advice I have is that next time try to get more "see through" areas in the water fall to look more realistic.
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Adding waterfall to penjing experiment Empty Re: Adding waterfall to penjing experiment

Post  leslonsdale Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:50 pm

Jake16 wrote:I think it looks really nice. The only advice I have is that next time try to get more "see through" areas in the water fall to look more realistic.

OK, thank you for that advice. This is doable, it just depends on how thin I apply the epoxy and how much paint I put in it. This was my first attempt. I agree with you, I think 'thinner' might be better.
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:57 pm

do you know what tree your gonna use on this penjing?
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  leslonsdale Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:06 pm

Jake16 wrote:do you know what tree your gonna use on this penjing?
Probably another double-trunk Serrisa, but about half as tall as the one already there.
What do you think? Any suggestions?
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:31 pm

Maybe a tree that will hang over the building and person. Ill draw up a quick sketch and post it.
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:41 pm

Some thing like this, pic from google.
Adding waterfall to penjing experiment 2012-010
tree some thing like this.
Adding waterfall to penjing experiment Portul10
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Adding waterfall to penjing experiment Empty Adding waterfall to penjing experiment

Post  leslonsdale Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:10 pm

Jake,
Not a bad idea. I'll see what I've got. Thanks for the idea!
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  Jake16 Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:14 pm

No problem, glad I could help
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Adding waterfall to penjing experiment Empty Adding Waterfall

Post  bonsaisr Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:33 am

There is a problem with your Serissa (sic). Look into this before you plant another one. It is not a twin-trunk, since the trunks don't arise from the soil line. It is what we call a slingshot effect. The British call it a catapult. It is considered a no-no. If you take it off the rock & plant it elsewhere, remove one of the trunks. You can air-layer it if you like. If you are growing a true twin-trunk, both trunks should move more or less in the same direction. They must be friends with each other.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Adding waterfall to penjing experiment Empty back to basics

Post  rock Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:23 am

bonsaisr wrote: It is what we call a slingshot effect. The British call it a catapult.
...and the Japanese call it Sokan and it is well established style

http://www.warrenhillbonsai.com/BonsaiStyles.html
rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Adding waterfall to penjing experiment Empty Adding Waterfall

Post  bonsaisr Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:09 pm

I see. Taking a closer look, the two trunks do start at soil level. But he needs to work on improving the styling.
Go here: http://www.bonsaimalta.org/resources/lectures/09_ch.pdf
Iris

Last edited by bonsaisr on Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add URL for information)
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  leslonsdale Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:42 pm

bonsaisr wrote:I see. Taking a closer look, the two trunks do start at soil level. But he needs to work on improving the styling.
Go here: http://www.bonsaimalta.org/resources/lectures/09_ch.pdf
Iris
I agree with you that this is not a classic twin trunk. For that reason and because I believe the tree is too tall for the composition, that is why I mentioned in my first post that this tree was coming off and would be replaced with a smaller one.
Thank you for your observation with which I agree. You have a good eye!
Les
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  sathya.nair Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:14 am

It is looking very natural. Nice innovation. thumbs up

sathya.nair

Back to top Go down

Post  leslonsdale Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:18 pm

sathya.nair wrote:It is looking very natural. Nice innovation. thumbs up
Thank you very much.
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  eddieperth Fri May 17, 2013 1:43 pm

very cool idea....though when I saw the title I was imagining a mini water pump with a reservoir under the tray... Very Happy

I love the look though i reckon it would definitely look better with a shorter tree. The tree you use lifts the eyes up and away from the landscape...jmho.

eddieperth

Back to top Go down

Post  leslonsdale Fri May 17, 2013 2:20 pm

eddieperth wrote:very cool idea....though when I saw the title I was imagining a mini water pump with a reservoir under the tray... Very Happy

I love the look though i reckon it would definitely look better with a shorter tree. The tree you use lifts the eyes up and away from the landscape...jmho.

You are correct. That was observed several posts up also. I have since taken that Serrissa out and have replaced it with a windswept chinese elm, much smaller. I don't have a pic of it to post at this time, but I will later.
Thanks for the comment.
leslonsdale
leslonsdale

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down