Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Mugo Pine

+9
0soyoung
bonsaisr
Leo Schordje
Curtis
Steven
fiona
fuzei
JimLewis
Jake16
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New Mugo Pine  - Page 2 Empty Re: New Mugo Pine

Post  Jake16 Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:17 pm

I think ur tree is beautiful, lots of graceful movement. It is a great inspiration, I just hope mine will look as good as yours:)
Jake16
Jake16

Back to top Go down

Post  rps Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:54 pm

leaving aside aesthetics, the profile linked provides a good summary of mugo specific survival rudiments.
http://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATMugo%20Pines%20Indepth.htm
i'm new to mugos [bonsai, really] and found it helpful
--- as well, this discussion thread has been great!
so, thanks to jake for starting it & all the contributors for sharing their knowledge.
rps
rps

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsaisr Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:33 am

Leo Schordje wrote:One advice I can give, if you live in zone 5 or colder, don't listen to California or Georgia growers for how to handle your black pines. They are not a vigorous tree in zone 5 or zone 4.
If you live in Zone 5, don't listen to California, Georgia, or Florida growers on how to handle ANYTHING, especially tropicals. It is a different planet.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:51 pm

bonsaisr wrote:
Leo Schordje wrote:One advice I can give, if you live in zone 5 or colder, don't listen to California or Georgia growers for how to handle your black pines. They are not a vigorous tree in zone 5 or zone 4.
If you live in Zone 5, don't listen to California, Georgia, or Florida growers on how to handle ANYTHING, especially tropicals. It is a different planet.
Iris

thumbs up

No disrespect to anyone specifically, we northerners just have to keep in mind that what makes sense down south simply won't work. I have less than 120 growing days in my year, this makes all the difference in the world.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

New Mugo Pine  - Page 2 Empty New Mugo Pine

Post  bonsaisr Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:18 pm

I have killed several mini mugo pines following the advice of various experts, until I came upon an article by Vance Wood. He's the one who said to repot them in midsummer & do everything gradually. Works for me.
Being a hopeless schmendrick with zone envy, I keep trying to grow buttonwoods. You have to separate out the advice from Florida that works, & what doesn't work, & kill a few buttonwoods in the learning process.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:47 pm

Leo, I live in Chicago, zone 5, and I've seen many JBP doing well here. Maybe it's due to having good winter protection?
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  David D Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:21 pm

Fore, Iris and Leo. Perhaps there should be a forum for those of us who are in zones 4 and 5. There are many unique problems associated with living here.
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

Post  Curtis Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:54 pm

Ya no kidding, try living in a zone 2/3.
Curtis
Curtis

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Wed Aug 08, 2012 11:45 pm

Fore wrote:Leo, I live in Chicago, zone 5, and I've seen many JBP doing well here. Maybe it's due to having good winter protection?

Hi Fore, perhaps I'll see you at the big show at the Chicago Botanic Garden in 2 weeks. I will probably be there on Saturday. I'll be the gray haired fat guy with a distinctive loud laugh. (some say obnoxious, I prefer distinctive)

Yes, my winter set up is less than ideal. I have 2 places I use, the very hardy trees go under my bench, get buried in leaves and snow. A tarp keeps the wind and sun off them. My more tender go into an old well house, a room outside, under the patio that I can access from the basement. In a normal winter, this room will hover around 35 to 40 F. Unfortunately the last couple winters this room has not been as cold, running closer to 45 or 50F. Not cold enough to keep pines fully dormant. But I found Cork Bark JBP are not hardy enough for the outdoor storage, especially since in November you don't know if you will have -15 F in January. I don't like moving them once they are set out for the winter.

I need to re-think my winter set up. A project for the next couple months.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Thu Aug 09, 2012 12:06 am

I'll look for you Leo. I'm volunteering as a judges asst. fri am, and I'm also doing two workshops with Peter. So I'll be around for the weekend. I'm 51 and tall and skinny lol Should be a fun weekend!

And I bought a $500 hoop house, 8'x10', that i put up in my backyard, and put it away after winter. I only have an unfinished basement and it too isn't cold enough to keep them in hibernation. Kinda a pain, but I also know I can safely keep my collection alive and in hibernation in the hoop house. Maybe a thought for you?
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  DreadyKGB Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:18 pm

I think mugo pines should be hardy in zone 5. I have a few in the landscape and I have seen dwarf varieties in other yards.

This thread has digressed, but we should have an IBC meeting at the Chicago show. I will be there on Saturday afternoon helping out.

Todd
DreadyKGB
DreadyKGB

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:13 pm

yes, mugo are usually hardy in Chicago area.

Fore & I had digressed into a discussion of Cork bark JBP and problems with wintering these somewhat more tender, more central and southern Japan originating cultivars.

Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2