Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

mugo pine with needles turning yellow and buds turning black and dead?!

3 posters

Go down

mugo pine with needles turning yellow and buds turning black and dead?! Empty mugo pine with needles turning yellow and buds turning black and dead?!

Post  eaton2008 Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:05 pm

my mugo pine is in full sun but all the tips have been facing away from the sun!!i didnt think it mattered aslong as the foliage is in the sun!?here are some pictures , does anyone have any ideas how to help??

mugo pine with needles turning yellow and buds turning black and dead?! 14082009263

mugo pine with needles turning yellow and buds turning black and dead?! 14082009262
eaton2008
eaton2008

Back to top Go down

mugo pine with needles turning yellow and buds turning black and dead?! Empty Re: mugo pine with needles turning yellow and buds turning black and dead?!

Post  Nina Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:37 am

Gently wiggle the dead tip and see if it will pull off, hollow on the inside, and sticky with resin. If so, you have an infestation by the larvae of the pine tip moth. And if so, you have my sympathy. I hate those things. You can do one of two things: you can contact your local cooperative extension and find out when the egg-laying season is for the moth in your area, and then spray a protectant insecticide on your pines during that period next year, or you can do what I do, which is to cover your pines with a fine netting during the egg-laying season.

Nina

Back to top Go down

mugo pine with needles turning yellow and buds turning black and dead?! Empty Roots?

Post  Gæst Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:41 pm

Also be sure that your soil is well drained. and roots are healthy. This can also be caused by root rot, or roots in other ways damaged. It might be the picture, but the still green needles looks a bit pale and not fresh green, so maybe something wrong with the roots as well or lacking fertilizer?

Regards
Morten

Gæst

Back to top Go down

mugo pine with needles turning yellow and buds turning black and dead?! Empty Mugo pine

Post  Guest Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:14 pm

Ihave had a Mugo thats done this. Some of th needles were aso at first contorted. I would start by cutting out the damaged parts.

Back to top Go down

mugo pine with needles turning yellow and buds turning black and dead?! Empty Re: mugo pine with needles turning yellow and buds turning black and dead?!

Post  eaton2008 Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:44 pm

if the problem is down to root rot, should i take it out of the pot and place in a bigger pot with akadama!!??also the tree is in full sun should i leave it there or move it to a shadier part of the garden??
eaton2008
eaton2008

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:47 pm

It's less likely to be a root problem than a critter problem. A root problem would result in a more general aura of unhappiness than such abrupt browning surrounded by very healthy needles.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

mugo pine with needles turning yellow and buds turning black and dead?! Empty Mugo pine

Post  Guest Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:57 pm

Placing the tree in a larger pot with Acadama will help to suck out any excess moisture.Mugos are a mountain tree as you are aware and therefore need plenty of direct sunlight.Hopefully it wont deteriorate any further,then you can examine the roots once dormant.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down