Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Creating a new bonsai (Korean Boxwood) from nursery plant - where do I begin??

+8
Russell Coker
David D
Poink88
Dendrogeek
BonsaiJim
JimLewis
fiona
louvega
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Creating a new bonsai (Korean Boxwood) from nursery plant - where do I begin?? - Page 3 Empty Re: Creating a new bonsai (Korean Boxwood) from nursery plant - where do I begin??

Post  Russell Coker Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Earthling? I'm not convinced. Seems far too knowledgeable to be a mere mortal.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Creating a new bonsai (Korean Boxwood) from nursery plant - where do I begin?? - Page 3 Empty Re: Creating a new bonsai (Korean Boxwood) from nursery plant - where do I begin??

Post  coh Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:39 pm

JimLewis wrote:Well, he did say he's from Planet Earth. That narrows it down a bit . . .

And if it is true that he has
been on this forum for decades, on and off,
, I think I have an idea who hesheit may be. Or not. <g>

Well, without giving anything away...can/should we trust his/her recommendations?
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  louvega Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:35 pm

How about having the IBC forum moderator checking his/her IP address that's logged with every post? Or when joining, how about telling new members about how their IP address is logged with every post?
louvega
louvega

Back to top Go down

Post  JMcCoy Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:13 am

Lou, you sure got an avalanche of posts on this question of yours! Do you have a local Bonsai club nearby that could give you advice and assistance? Internet clubs are great, but it's hard to replace face-to-face knowledge. As you've already deduced, the #1 most important thing in choosing a bonsai is the bones (structure of the plant). If this one isn't the best, then consider it a good candidate to learn on: push it, trim hard, wire, watch it grow, see how it responds, etc. Like Russell had said, these nursery Boxwoods are easy to find, so always choose the best. By the way, you can always tell the Bonsai folks at the garden centers because we're on our hands and knees digging through the green looking for trunks and surface roots.

As far as trimming advice, what you have here is a very young boxwood, and they often will sprout foliage behind a cut. An older Boxwood doesn't always do this. In fact, I've never seen an older specimen (30+ years) bud back from very old wood. They act much more like a pine than an elm. Speaking to others here on this site, they've had different experiences, but this is mine (and many others locally who have wanted a backbudding that never happened), so caution is valid. Just FYI I thought I'd send this link that shows one of the ways to get branches in close when they've extended too far and nothing else works:
https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t9720-boxwood-threadgrafting-branches

While buying a small garden center Boxwood is a good learning experience, collecting one from the landscape (maybe a neighbor that is ripping them out) will give you a much more interesting specimen!

JMcCoy
JMcCoy

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:13 am

louvega wrote:How about having the IBC forum moderator checking his/her IP address that's logged with every post?

Already done, louvega. Wink

However, irritating as much as they are, we have much better things to busy ourselves with - whether that's us moderating or more importantly you guys getting on with the good stuff of bonsai knowledge and experience interchange. So please just ignore our earth-dweller.

And great advice from Joey there.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:57 am

coh wrote:
JimLewis wrote:Well, he did say he's from Planet Earth. That narrows it down a bit . . .

And if it is true that he has
been on this forum for decades, on and off,
, I think I have an idea who hesheit may be. Or not. <g>

Well, without giving anything away...can/should we trust his/her recommendations?

NO. I sure would not.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  louvega Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:22 pm

Hey guys. Thanks again for all the outstanding advice. Ok, here's where I'm at. Any ideas? I took away some of the more dense nodes, at the internodes, just before some larger groupings of shoots to work on getting little (correct term?) "pads" of foliage. I also took away some forward facing branches, a good portion of the "undergrowth" to open the form/structure up and took away a few crossing branches. It still doesn't look right, but getting there - just where to go from here?

Creating a new bonsai (Korean Boxwood) from nursery plant - where do I begin?? - Page 3 7657916996_5bdc3811c8
IMAG0272 by louvega06, on Flickr

Creating a new bonsai (Korean Boxwood) from nursery plant - where do I begin?? - Page 3 7657836614_a240c8e398
IMAG0271 by louvega06, on Flickr

BACK:

Creating a new bonsai (Korean Boxwood) from nursery plant - where do I begin?? - Page 3 7657989776_edf5817821
IMAG0273 by louvega06, on Flickr

TOP:

Creating a new bonsai (Korean Boxwood) from nursery plant - where do I begin?? - Page 3 7657993390_276e577b0c
IMAG0274.jpg by louvega06, on Flickr

Last edited by louvega on Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
louvega
louvega

Back to top Go down

Post  louvega Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:27 pm

But now, I'm glad I do see I have a few "trunks" to work with.
louvega
louvega

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Try to dig a bit until you find your actual base...I am sure it is much nicer since that left branch will surely meet it somewhere, usually have a wider trunk and base/root ball.

By the way, it might be a bit daunting at first because you most likely will encounter thick fine roots before you reach it but you have to push on. Twisted Evil
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Jkd2572 Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:47 pm

Do what Dario said. Normal nursary stock is planted very deep. A lot of times the trunk is buried.

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3