Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What tool do you use for carving a stone?

+3
Andrew Legg
sunip
cbobgo
7 posters

Go down

What tool do you use for carving a stone? Empty What tool do you use for carving a stone?

Post  cbobgo Thu May 03, 2012 6:30 am

While not technically a pot question, it does have to do with "containers" for trees - namely a rock planting.

I've got a couple of small boulders that I want to plant some trees on, but there is not a natural space to put them. I'm trying to carve out hollow areas to put the trees in, but have not had much success. I've tried using a power drill with a masonry bit, I've tried tile cutting blades for my rotary carver. I've tried hammer and chisel. None of these have worked particularly well.

So, is there a good tool for this? Or do I just keep banging away?

- bob

cbobgo
cbobgo

Back to top Go down

What tool do you use for carving a stone? Empty Re: What tool do you use for carving a stone?

Post  sunip Thu May 03, 2012 10:05 am

Hello,
There are indeed some hard types of stone.
What sort of blade you used, a diamond blade?
When it is a diamond blade and it is worn of, it is useless.
Using a chisel not properly gives the chance you get cracks in the stone, and you dont want that.
On the picture some dry tools, no need for watercooling.
The thin grey fibre blade is a stonecutters and the grey thick one a stonegrinder.
The thick metal blade on top is a diamond stonegrinder and the thin metal ones diamond stonecutters.
On the right there is a diamond stylegrinder and the pink stylegrinder made out of other matter.
A good method to make such holes is to make some cuts at the right depth parallel to each other
place a flat chisel against the remaining walls and give it a tap.
The remaining walls will break easy and with a stonegrinder blade one can smoothen the hole.
Do not make the blades to hot and cool the drills with water.
Sunip Wink
What tool do you use for carving a stone? Img_2814

sunip

Back to top Go down

What tool do you use for carving a stone? Empty Re: What tool do you use for carving a stone?

Post  Andrew Legg Thu May 03, 2012 9:24 pm

Hey Bob,

I can't answer your question, but would suggest giving a kitchen counter company a call. Ask them what they use to shape and cut granite surfaces for kitchens. They are bound to have some practical way of doing it!

Cheers

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  cbobgo Thu May 03, 2012 10:06 pm

Thanks sunip, those disks are for a die grinder?

Andrew thanks for the suggestion, though I imagine the tool a commercial place would use would be something very large and immobile.

- bob
cbobgo
cbobgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason Eider Fri May 04, 2012 12:17 am

Hi Bob,

I think an angle grinder will be your best bet. 4" angle grinders can be purchased pretty cheap, get a concrete blade.
they also sell cool blades w/ chainsaw teeth for carving wood.

Jason
Jason Eider
Jason Eider

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Fri May 04, 2012 1:24 am

bob
I don't really know other than a tile cutting blade in a angle grinder. But I do know you need to wear a good mask, some stone dust is poisonous.

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Fri May 04, 2012 1:58 am

ALL dust from carving stone has silica which when inhaled is a carcinogen and over time causes silicosis. Some granites release radon gas especially when cut which is the number one non tobacco cause of lung cancer. The biggest thing you can do to cut down on dust is to use water. Also use a real respirator, not a dust mask.
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  crust Mon May 07, 2012 2:21 am

A diamond core drill (a hollow tube like drill bit with a diamond coated edge) in a drill press with water works--they are spendy for sure though.

crust

Back to top Go down

Post  cbobgo Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Hi just thought I would update this thread.

I got an angle grinder and a diamond masonry blade, and that cuts through rock like butter! I'm still working on the project, when it's done I will post some pics.

Here's the blade I got from amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MQS10S/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00

- bob
cbobgo
cbobgo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down