Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long term Prunus survival problems.

+2
marcus watts
bonsainotwar
6 posters

Go down

Long term Prunus survival problems. Empty Long term Prunus survival problems.

Post  bonsainotwar Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:58 am

I see it's been almost two years since I have been around here.I have been too busy.My bad.

I have had real problems in keeping every cherry,plum,peach,and apricot I have tried as a bonsai alive for more than a few years.They do real well,the first few years,then anywhere from year three on,they just lose vigor,and give up the ghost.Usually one branch or section of the tree at a time.The longest I have ever been able to keep one alive,is this Nanking Cherry,I have had as a bonsai for nine years now,that is dying in the same old way.I have a pear that I have had since 1999,and an apple I have had since 2000,that are very happy as bonsai,but there seems to be something about prunus trees.I have had both fruiting and flowering trees that die like this,collected,nursery grown,and seed grown.The ones from seed always die in the third year.I found a copy of the old Tuttle bonsai books from the 50s.Buried in the species guide is a note about how,despite their popularity prunus do not do well as bonsai.I have not seen this in any other book.

Has anybody else had this problem?

bonsainotwar

Back to top Go down

Long term Prunus survival problems. Empty Re: Long term Prunus survival problems.

Post  marcus watts Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:49 am

hi,
we were chatting about this the other evening as a friend was looking to source a very old imported flowering cherry or plum sp. A huge percentage of the trees we knew about have declined or even died over the years. Most have lost the key mature branches and are now just poor examples. This i think is due to the amount of diseases these trees attract - they really are very suceptable to just about every plant disease a deciduous tree can get !. I know to keep one healthy you need to be following a strict and constant spraying regime with products that protect against and kill off everything.

I think it is the combination of constant attack from disease and a species that is not extremely strong in the confines of a pot that leads to their steady decline once a bonsai-ist gets hold of them.

cheers Marcus

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Long term Prunus survival problems. Empty Re: Long term Prunus survival problems.

Post  JimLewis Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:49 pm

AND, I'm not at all sure that Albuquerque's environment is suited to potted Prunus species. I think they prefer a bit more moisture in the air.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fredtruck Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:18 pm

I think annual repotting is important to the health of prunus mume. That, and very heavy feeding, with a quick drain soil, and lots of water.

fredtruck

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:58 pm

JimLewis wrote:AND, I'm not at all sure that Albuquerque's environment is suited to potted Prunus species. I think they prefer a bit more moisture in the air.

This is more than likely one of the main problems.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Seth Ellwood Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:17 pm

The only way I have sucessfully kept them alive for more than a handful of years is to put then in to a deep over size pot or growing container for normal growth and cram them in to a bonsai pot for display then back in to the growing container.

Seth Ellwood

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down