Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long-term Black Pine Project

+2
sitarbonsai
peter keane
6 posters

Go down

Long-term Black Pine Project Empty Long-term Black Pine Project

Post  peter keane Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:06 pm

as most of my tree projects are long-term Very Happy

I acquired this in the summer of 2007. I brought it to a Colin Lewis' Ho Yoku workshop in the spring of 2008 for repotting, and some design ideas. The change in planting angle shows off the wonderful lower trunk.

Long-term Black Pine Project Dsc01110
Long-term Black Pine Project Dsc01111
Long-term Black Pine Project Dsc01210
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Long-term Black Pine Project Empty Re: Long-term Black Pine Project

Post  peter keane Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:19 pm

Now, after giving the tree a rest for a year (no candle-pruning, needle-plucking, wiring), it was time for an initial design. Colin hosted a workshop for school members with Sandro Segneri as guest artist in the spring of 2009. After studying the tree, Sandro created this drawing of a final design for the pine.

In order for the tree to be shaped, approximating the drawing, the top two-thirds of the main trunk would have to be bent clockwise. It would also need more height to be in proper scale for the thickness of the trunk. The work completed during that session was needle plucking and wiring a few lower branches into pads. The remaining branches would be shaped over the next two weeks. Fall would be the time for when the main trunk would be bent, allowing the pine some time to recover from wiring and branch-shaping.

Long-term Black Pine Project Scanne10
Long-term Black Pine Project Img00910
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:29 pm

The first image is from the fall of 2009. You can see that the tree has recovered well from the heavy wiring. Now, it's time to bend the trunk, and raise a back branch to give the tree more height. The rough diagram shows how much the trunk will be bent. The second image shows a pruning scar, and wheel-spoke branches. The branch on the left is the one that will be raised (third image). Hollowing out the pruning scar will help with raising the branch.

Long-term Black Pine Project Dsc_0013
Long-term Black Pine Project Dsc_0014

Long-term Black Pine Project Dsc_0015
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:33 pm

Look forward to seeing how this one developes. Good to hear Colin Lewis mentioned. Areal inspiration to me Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:47 pm

Yes, I've found Colin to be an excellent teacher and good friend.

Here are final images (for now Wink ). The first two pics show the hollowed wheel-spoke area and the amount that the degree to which the back branch had been raised. Initially, the back branch was about ninety degrees from the main trunk. Raising it to its present level was done in two fall sessions spaced a month apart, so as not to push the tree too hard. As you can see, its almost vertical now.

In the final image, you can see how much height I was able to gain with raising the back branch. I won't be doing anymore bending until late spring, when the tree is showing new growth. I do plan on bud-grafting before this for inner foliage.

This is a very exciting project for me.

Long-term Black Pine Project After210
Long-term Black Pine Project After310
Long-term Black Pine Project After110

Last edited by peter on Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : better choice of words)
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  sitarbonsai Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:15 pm

will baddeley wrote:Look forward to seeing how this one developes. Good to hear Colin Lewis mentioned. Areal inspiration to me Very Happy

Yah, Colin Lewis is great
my bonsai book is written by him
really good book and much knowledgeable insight

as for the bonsai
it progressed a lot!
It amazes me, because when I look at the first picture and think -what would I do- and then see the final product and think wow! how did they get it like that?
looks like a lot of work would need to be put in, and a real skill is required for styling pines like this
I skill I don't have Laughing
at least not yet Wink
one day I'll get my hands on a pine and learn from a experienced bonsaiist
it always seems like you learn quicker with something you like
as I've already learned with Bonsai thumbs up
sitarbonsai
sitarbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  jon hultgren Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:05 pm

Pulling that back branch up really helps with the look of the tree. I like your use of the steel rebar to get leverage on that branch. By the way what size bar is that?

Last edited by jon hultgren on Fri Jan 15, 2010 6:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot something)
jon hultgren
jon hultgren

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:51 pm

Hi John

The top bar is 1/2". The black bar is 3/4" (to keep from bending), has a point for staking, and holes for attaching wire. Both are found at Home Depot.
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Here's an update on the tree. I bent the top part a bit more. It's almost straight up from an original 90 degree branch position from last year. I've added some comparison photos. In the first one, you can see that the wheel-spoke area is almost closed. I'm also showing the top bend from the side. It's almost vertical. The overall height of the tree has gained a few inches for better scale with the thickness of the trunk. Next year, I'm going to cut a small wedge on the right side of the middle trunk and bend clockwise for better balance.

Long-term Black Pine Project Top_be10
Long-term Black Pine Project Dsc_0010
Long-term Black Pine Project Compar10
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:20 pm

This is bonsai! A vision and a long term procedure to achieve this vision!
I'm glad you are rewarded with that branch put where you aimed it to be!

I have a question.... How is the longer bar fastened up into the pot?
I cannot believe that it is simply put into the soil and that's all. Will you please kindly clarify this to me?
Thank you!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:28 pm

Thank you. The bar is fastened to a dead branch hidden by the first branch on the right. That is why it has not slipped when bending the trunk.
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:33 pm

Now it makes sense Smile
Thank you!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Neil Jaeger Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:03 pm

my nellie wrote:This is bonsai! A vision and a long term procedure to achieve this vision!
I'm glad you are rewarded with that branch put where you aimed it to be!

Wow, what an amazing vision and transformation. It would be great to have the picture framed and hung next to the bonsai when you display it.
Neil Jaeger
Neil Jaeger

Back to top Go down

Long-term Black Pine Project Empty long term black pine project

Post  john5555leonard Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:40 am

hi nice tree , when you see colin lewis again tell him john oakton sends his regards from thailand

john5555leonard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down