Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lantana camara

4 posters

Go down

Lantana camara Empty Lantana camara

Post  Tom Simonyi Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:01 pm

This cultivar is 'Miss Huff.'

Regards,
TomLantana camara Lantan12
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Lantana camara Empty Re: Lantana camara

Post  AlainK Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:54 pm

Very nice stuff.

I would maybe put it in a larger pot so the trunk develops a bit more character.

I "would", because here, the climate is not suitable, and I don't have a greenhouse. I just bought one similar lantana last week, they are sold as summer plants. I'll give it to my mother at the end of the season, she has a basement where she keeps her geraniums, it should be OK.

I read that in some parts of the US it is considered as an invasive plant: are you from Florida? I think I remember some of your posts from the old website, about Citrus mitis maybe...
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:10 pm

AlainK wrote:I'll give it to my mother at the end of the season
A cultivar named "Miss Huff"?
I'd have given one to my mother purely because of the appropriateness of the name! Razz

Tom, what's the object hanging down? Even on enlarge I cant quite make it out. It looks like some sort of liquid drip.

Last edited by fionnghal on Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spent too long being facetious and forgot to put in the real question)
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveP Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:19 pm

fionnghal wrote:Tom, what's the object hanging down? Even on enlarge I cant quite make it out. It looks like some sort of liquid drip.

Hummingbird feeder, it seems to be. Smile

Kindest~
-d

DaveP

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:21 pm

It is indeed a small hummingbird feeder....the birds are attracted to the tree when it is in flower and when they come to visit we hope to keep them around for a while Very Happy
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:31 pm

Ahhhh. Lovely.

We don't get too many of those in west central Scotland. This is probably because any self-respecting hummingbird knows that the word "humming" is a Glasgow slang word meaning "somewhat smelly" and they feel insulted by this. Pity, then, the poor geese who don't realise that "honking" is Glaswegian for "totally stinking". Mad
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:50 am

Huff, hum, honk...

It's incredible how a lovely flowering tree in a pot can be a source of knowledge in the subtilities of local English idioms for me... Very Happy
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:51 am

AlainK wrote:Huff, hum, honk... It's incredible how a lovely flowering tree in a pot can be a source of knowledge in the subtilities of local English idioms for me... Very Happy
Ah yes. A Scot teaching a Frenchman the intricacies of the English language. This truly is an international forum. All we need now is Kev or Uro to translate it into Welsh, or Lee into Scouse. Very Happy

And yes, it is a lovely tree Tom, lest you think we've forgotten the raison d'etre (more polyglot) of this post. How long roughly does it flower for in a season and how hardy is it? I have in my head that it's a tropical tree, having only ever seen it a the Glasgow Botanic Gardens but grown as a shrub indoors.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:08 pm

Thanks, guys....regarding this tree, it has bloomed fairly regularly all year over the years, some cycles being heavier than others. It has always been sited in a greenhouse, and recently I have begun placing it outdoors during the warmer months (approximately mid-May through September in my area - northern West Virginia).
I believe that it grows as shrub fairly rampantly in our southern states.

Hope this helps....I have enjoyed your posts.

Regards,
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down