CHINESE ELM QUESTION

View previous topic View next topic Go down

CHINESE ELM QUESTION

Post  LELE on Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:27 am

Hi everyone about 2 years i have purchased an elm, and so far has never dropped it`s leaves...am i still ok to repot in early spring also can i defoliate to see the structure.....what`s your best advice

Thanks
Gabriel

LELE

Back to top Go down

Re: CHINESE ELM QUESTION

Post  handy mick on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi Lele,
The answer is yes and yes.
Do you have pictures?

Mick

handy mick

Back to top Go down

Post  jonkatzmail on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:00 am

I didn't understand the appeal of a Chinese Elm over any other kind of Elm, until I actually _saw_ a Chinese Elm! The leaves are almost microscopic compared to other kinds of elms! Now I reeeeally want one, and have nowhere to buy one! silent

jonkatzmail

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:06 pm

If you are looking to buy a "finished" bonsai, any shop that sells bonsai will have dozens of all sizes and ages. At least a third of all mallsai sold are Chinese elms (but you pobably shouldn't want one of them).

If you are looking for a pre-bonsai, try www.evergreengardenworks.com

If you want a few healthy seedlings to nurture yourself, try www.musserforests.com

Many local nurseries will have them as landscape plants.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis on Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:09 pm

To answer Lele's question, many elms in the warmer parts of the world never lose their leaves, or only lose some of them. By warmer, I don't mean semi-tropics, either. My elm kept most of its leaves last winter and it was one with lots of snow and too much freezing weather.

So repot in spring. Defoliate if you like.

Jim Lewis - lewisjk@windstream.net - Western NC - People, when Columbus discovered this country, it was plumb full of nuts and berries. And I'm right here to tell you the berries are just about all gone. Uncle Dave Macon, old-time country musician

JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Chinese Elm

Post  bonsaisr on Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:29 pm

JimLewis wrote:
Many local nurseries will have them as landscape plants.
Not in Indiana I think. Chinese elm (Ulmus parvifolia) is not hardy in zone 5 without a rose cone. It might be available in Kentucky. Farther north you might find Siberian elm, Ulmus pumila, which is used for bonsai but is not as refined. How far are you from Chicago? The Chicago Botanic Garden can probably help you with many of your questions.

bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content Today at 9:50 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum