Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

chinese elm ouestion

2 posters

Go down

chinese elm ouestion Empty chinese elm ouestion

Post  moyogijohn Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:10 pm

I just got a new elm bonsai. it has the old leaves still on it.came from a nursery that has a controled temp.greenhouse..would it be ok to take the last years leaves off of it??? i would like to see the branch pattern also i am very bored!!! need advice please. john zone 6. thanks

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

chinese elm ouestion Empty Chinese Elm Question

Post  bonsaisr Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:16 pm

Where are you keeping it? It needs to be dormant. If you are keeping it in a cold room or enclosed porch, let it alone. The leaves will fall off by themselves in January. If you are going to box it up & put it in the garage or a cold-frame, remove the leaves. If you are bored, get a Ficus for indoors, or a couple of orchids.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

chinese elm ouestion Empty new elm

Post  moyogijohn Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:31 pm

Thank you mrs bonsaier for your quick response. right now it is still in the house,i am looking at it.it is real cold here so i have to think where the best place for it would be..thanks john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

chinese elm ouestion Empty Chinese Elm Question

Post  bonsaisr Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:54 pm

If you don't have any other suitable location, bury the pot outdoors in a sheltered spot and put a rose cone over it. Don't leave it indoors.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

chinese elm ouestion Empty new elm question

Post  moyogijohn Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:59 pm

Well I am back again.i put the elm in my small greenhouse but it started to snow again today.i can not win will go into the single digits so the greenhouse will not kee the tree from freezing and i am sure it never has came from brussels in miss. what now john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

chinese elm ouestion Empty New elm question

Post  bonsaisr Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:23 pm

How big is it? You are right that if it has not yet been subject to freezing, now is not the time. If it is not too big, remove the leaves, wrap it in a baggie, and put it in the refrigerator.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

chinese elm ouestion Empty Re: chinese elm ouestion

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down