Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

i have a chinese elm question

3 posters

Go down

i have a chinese elm question Empty i have a chinese elm question

Post  mike Bat Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:16 am

im am new to bonsai ... so i i have a question ... i have a small chinese elm my wife baught me for a birthday present last november ... when the tree arivied it was in good shape ... i kept the tree in my window for the the winter ,, in wisconsin we have bad winters ... the tree stayed green all winter and did grow quiet a bit for being in a window ... any way i since moved it out to the back yard slowly over a 2 week peroid .. now it stays out there all the time .. my problem is the leaves are changing color they seem to be a more redish color than they were in the house ... the tree seems healthy as ever ,, if not more healthy ... i just gave this tree a lite prune 2 weeks ago and already its growing out again ... not sure if this is comon for chinese elms so i ask ... is this normal ... also i have a pic of the tree now ... i dont have a pic from before ,, but the leaves were just solid green ... here is a pic ..
i have a chinese elm question 006
and a close up of the leaves
i have a chinese elm question 007
see the redish colors ??? not sure what is going on ...

mike Bat

Back to top Go down

i have a chinese elm question Empty Re: i have a chinese elm question

Post  Jim Doiron Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:37 am

Hey Mike, how much sun is it getting now that it is outside? When you say you moved it out over two weeks what does that mean exactly? Shade, part shade to full sun?
If I had to guess it might be just some reaction to too much sun?

You will definitely want to leave it to the cold this winter so it has a proper dormant period (with adequate protection of course). I'm sure there are other wisconsinites? wisconsinonians? that can tell you how they keep theirs. Very Happy Good luck and welcome to bonsai.
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Bat Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:23 am

first i put it out in the mornings on our front porch ... then after a week are so i moved it to the back yard ... when on the front pourch it got stron morning sun olny ... in the back yard it gets sun from 12-9 pm ... i did the moves slowly and the tree does seem to be growing well ,, just the color of the leaves its throwing me off ... not sure

mike Bat

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:05 pm

Yeah, 12-9 pm is a lot of direct sun. I don't know how intense your summers can get but here that would cook a tree in a pot that size. I think the tree is fine, but I would move it to where it gets maybe half of the intense sun it's getting now and see what happens, especially since the summer heat is only going to get stronger.
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  mike Bat Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:30 am

Jim i have moved the tree to the front porch again ... on the porch it gets good morning sun ,, but it gets a nice break from the afternoon sun . ill see how she does ...

mike Bat

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:28 pm

Hello,

The leaf reaction is totally normal. The tree is vigorous and please don't move it indoors. From the looks of it, this tree is from Guandong, a province in China that has a subtropical climate.

Regards,

jose
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down