Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Received 2 olive trees from Greece. Some general advice please

3 posters

Go down

Received 2 olive trees from Greece. Some general advice please Empty Received 2 olive trees from Greece. Some general advice please

Post  avz10 Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:41 pm

A friend just brought these two small olive trees from Greece as a gift (Greek name "Korone i ko". I have no experience with bonsai, but thought that this might be a nice way to start.)

I am starting to read up about the hobby, but need some extra advice:
1. We are in different hemispheres, and winter is starting here.I live in Johannesburg, average temperature could be zero at night, going up to max 20 degrees during the day.
2. Just basic advice on some pruning- he cut some roots off the bigger one.

I attach a photo of the plants in two pots. They are currently in an area with a window in the ceiling. If there is son through the window, should I put them in the sun?

Temperatures during winter will vary between 5 and 20 degrees Celsius. I suppose I just leave them inside till spring?

(They are going to have a long winter, starting in Greece, but by mid August it gets warmer)

Any advice or reference to more reading material? (I am not sure if the Greek name "Korone i ko is similar to the European olive that one reads about)

Thanks for any info

avz10

Back to top Go down

Received 2 olive trees from Greece. Some general advice please Empty Re: Received 2 olive trees from Greece. Some general advice please

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:32 pm

We/I didn't get the photos. I can't be of help with the olives because they don't like Florida. Try the BCI website. However, unless the temperature is close to 0 C I would put the plants outside.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Received 2 olive trees from Greece. Some general advice please Empty Re: Received 2 olive trees from Greece. Some general advice please

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:34 pm

Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:06 pm

Hello!
The "blessed olive", this is how olive trees are called here in Greece.
Well the type of "Koroneiki" olive is widely used here because this is a tree which fruits lavish high production of good quality olive oil. The fruits/olives are small though.
This type of olive is medium tolerant to cold.
Of course every olive tree needs lots of sun and tends to be on the dry side in needs of water.
They can make excellent bonsai trees and they are very forgiving with beginners.

Here http://www.4shared.com/document/oYKo5ZS9/BONSAI_-_LOS_OLIVOS.html you can find a comprehensive book free downloadable. There is a possible limitation with the language though, since it's in spanish...
This is about the transformation of collected olive stumps but I believe you can find useful tips for your olives.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:21 pm

avz10 wrote:1. We are in different hemispheres, and winter is starting here. I live in Johannesburg, average temperature could be zero at night, going up to max 20 degrees during the day.
Well, I do not know at what extend this major change in season cycle will be for the tree....
I hope it will not be hurt to go under two following winters since the temperatures there are not extreme
avz10 wrote:2. Just basic advice on some pruning- he cut some roots off the bigger one.
Any branch and root pruning would be best done in early spring.
avz10 wrote:Temperatures during winter will vary between 5 and 20 degrees Celsius. I suppose I just leave them inside till spring?
No, no such need at all!
Keep them outside. Your climate is fine!
Perhaps a little protection (out of wind/drafts or out of direct sun) during the first weeks for adaptation reasons.
Wish you good luck with these trees. Of my favourites!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  avz10 Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:45 pm

Thanks for the replies and the reference to web sites.

I have potted them and there are space to both sides as well as to the bottom for root development.

There are a few hours of sun next to our koi pond or about 2 hours of sun next to our barbeque. I have read that one might consider planting them in the ground or in the pot in the ground in full sunlight (facing north next to the roses) Any thoughts on this?

I will try to post the pictures again:

Received 2 olive trees from Greece. Some general advice please IMG_5603

Received 2 olive trees from Greece. Some general advice please Summary2

Thanks for more opinions

avz10

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:13 am

I think you must have a well drained soil.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down