Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on a Wild Olive

5 posters

Go down

Advice on a Wild Olive Empty Advice on a Wild Olive

Post  Leroy Maritz Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:01 pm

Hey guys,

I collected this olive from the wild about 2 years ago. I really need some styling advice as I seem to be stuck. I really want to incorporate some jin and shari into my design but because this tree is dear to my heart I am, maybe, too hesitant and therefore the lack of direction with this tree.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

https://i.servimg.com/u/f15/18/07/15/41/img_0312.jpg

Leroy Maritz

Back to top Go down

Advice on a Wild Olive Empty Re: Advice on a Wild Olive

Post  Just Mike Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:34 pm

so...im sure you have noticed from the top straight down the middle is prime for jin/shari or hollow trunk...i mean, you can even see the "line" to follow...this tree, and the one in the background look like incredible material to work with and i have to admit i am somewhat jealous...ok, i am a lot jealous...you dont need styling advice, you need styling confidence...ive had this problem on a few trees where i just get so worried about making an irreversable mistake, or hesistant because maybe i am not seeing the best possible styling option...i think this happens to everyone at some point...try taking a magic marker and drawwing out where you would like the shari and just look at the tree for a bit...sooner or later you will say to yourself "alright, lets do this" and then it will go from there...

just my opinion.
Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Leroy Maritz Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:04 pm

Thanks Mike, You are absolutely right. I have been staring at the tree looking for the "right" lines to use but I think I have gone blind. I am just so damn nervous!

I must admit, I am honoured that someone out there is jealous, even if it's only a little bit, of some of my material. I normally find myself on the other side of the coin having only just started dabbling in bonsai a couple of years ago.

Leroy Maritz

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:58 pm

Hello Leroy,
I do not know the tree in 3D but here some carving fun to start you off.
Lots of possibilities.
Branch bending, new buds to grow
Sunip Wink
Advice on a Wild Olive Untitl43

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:36 pm

sunip wrote:Hello Leroy,
I do not know the tree in 3D but here some carving fun to start you off.
Lots of possibilities.
Branch bending, new buds to grow
Sunip Wink
Advice on a Wild Olive Untitl43

this is pretty much exactly what i pictured as far as the carving goes...the branches of course will need some growth and wiring, but this has all the right ingredients to become a wonderfull little tree. you could even carve the left side all the way down to that strong first branch and turn that branch into another trunk...
Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:30 pm

Advice on a Wild Olive Untitl10
Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:38 pm

Leroy Maritz wrote:Thanks Mike, You are absolutely right. I have been staring at the tree looking for the "right" lines to use but I think I have gone blind. I am just so damn nervous!

I must admit, I am honoured that someone out there is jealous, even if it's only a little bit, of some of my material. I normally find myself on the other side of the coin having only just started dabbling in bonsai a couple of years ago.

well...when you are too close to the trees to see the forest, the only thing to do is take a step back...the tree isnt going anywhere, and no matter what you decide, you will need to develope the branches more...so work on that part right now, see what kind of ideas you get from this thread, and sooner or later the moment of inspiration will strike...

oh...and by the way, if you keep posting material like that, you are going to make a bunch of people jealous, rest assured...and then it will be only me on the other side of the coin...all alone...wishing...dreaming...lol
Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Leroy Maritz Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:33 am

Thanks for all the input guys. I pretty much had the same idea. I thought i would post a couple more pictures of the tree from different angles to give you a better idea of what im working with.

Advice on a Wild Olive Img_0314

Advice on a Wild Olive Img_0320

Leroy Maritz

Back to top Go down

Advice on a Wild Olive Empty advice on wild olive

Post  moyogijohn Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:09 am

You have a very nice tree !!! my opion i would use either the first or last picture as a front.. i would not go to the extream of splitting the trunk like in the pics. show.. the trunk looks too good !!! jin the top just down a little leaveing the nice trunk,,,,only my opion..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Advice on a Wild Olive Empty virtual tree

Post  abcd Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:53 am

[img]Advice on a Wild Olive Img_0310[/img]

put your tree in a bigger pot or culture container during 5 yers to create the new structure.
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Advice on a Wild Olive Empty advice on wild olive

Post  moyogijohn Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:17 pm

Here again,, abcd put a virtul on that is what i am talking about !! when you get more branches orcan save some more i think you would have a good tree.... send it on to me,,its my birthday HA HA....TAKE CARE JOHN

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down