Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

= Beginner! Advice needed for next steps with my trees. =

+3
leatherback
Billy M. Rhodes
Ryanmjrb
7 posters

Go down

= Beginner! Advice needed for next steps with my trees. = Empty = Beginner! Advice needed for next steps with my trees. =

Post  Ryanmjrb Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:03 pm

Hello all,
Last year i obtained some trees from some private land, two English oaks and one other smaller tree that needs identifying (cannot be done yet as it has no leafs). And the other tree is a Japanese Maple. The maple was bought as a "starter" tree which i assume means its ready to be potted for Bonsai? What i need to know is the next steps for each of my trees?.. What size pots? Any cutting required? etc...

The maple is approx 15" tall. The Oaks are approx 6" and the other tree is around 4-6".

= Beginner! Advice needed for next steps with my trees. = Img_0311
This is my Japanese maple.

= Beginner! Advice needed for next steps with my trees. = Img_0312
This is my "other" unidentified tree.

= Beginner! Advice needed for next steps with my trees. = Img_0314
This is one of the English Oaks.

Any help and advice would be appreciated!

Thanks
Ryan.

Ryanmjrb

Back to top Go down

= Beginner! Advice needed for next steps with my trees. = Empty Re: = Beginner! Advice needed for next steps with my trees. =

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:17 pm

Although I would defer to someone in the UK, I think they need time to grow, years in fact.
They can be planted in the ground or in a succession of larger pots, but it is recommended to only go up one inch at a time since too much soil without roots can lead to root rot.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

= Beginner! Advice needed for next steps with my trees. = Empty Re: = Beginner! Advice needed for next steps with my trees. =

Post  Ryanmjrb Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:21 pm

I thought the smaller trees would need to grow longer but i was under he impression the "starter tree" had been grown long enough to Bonsai it? or is it a starter tree that needs another 10 years..

Ryanmjrb

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:28 pm

As I said you are in the UK, "Starter Tree" may mean different things to different people. We can "start" anywhere, but how long it will take a starter to become a potential for bonsai depends upon a lot of things. When we buy or collect trees, we are buying or collecting time. There is no substitute for time.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:31 pm

The amount growth you would like to give the plants depends on what you want to reach. For a massive-trunked species, all of them are too small. For a slender, smaller sized speciment you might be able to do something now to your acer. I think it would be best if you can find a local club, to discuss. Or at least read a little on bonsai.

As for your unidentified plant, it is 99,9% certain a european ash, or Fraxinus excelsior.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraxinus_excelsior
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryanmjrb Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Thanks for your quick replys.

I have one question, hopefully i can explain what i mean: if i let the trees grow they become taller.. so when it comes to start the bonsai surely it will be massivly too tall? and if you chop the top off there will be no branches? and the tree will die?..

Ryan

Ryanmjrb

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:42 pm

A while ago I wrote a little about this, as I was trying to figure out which methods one could use. I came to some 4 basic routes to take, and added it to an article for a website:

http://www.bonsaiempire.com/articles/advanced/bonsai-trunk-creation

leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:02 pm

Your "mystery tree" is an Ash (Fraxinus excelsior).

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:05 am

fiona wrote:Your "mystery tree" is an Ash (Fraxinus excelsior).

Thx for confirming my 99.9% to 100%
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  lackhand Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:34 am

leatherback wrote:A while ago I wrote a little about this, as I was trying to figure out which methods one could use. I came to some 4 basic routes to take, and added it to an article for a website:

http://www.bonsaiempire.com/articles/advanced/bonsai-trunk-creation

Looks like some solid information on trunk development. I second that your trunks are pretty thin. One of the biggest challenges for a new bonsai artist is trying to find affordable stock to work on that will also look decent without waiting 50 years.

What you really need to do is decide if you want a small tree you can develop in a few years, or a large tree in more years. If you want a small tree fairly soon, follow the trunk development advice, pick a decent height, and have at it. There are lots of guidelines about trunk width to tree height, somewhere from 1:6 to 1:10 seems to be most common. If you want a bigger tree, then planting in the ground and pruning is advisable.

Good luck!

lackhand

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin_ Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:19 am

I'd also recommend planting them in the ground and getting a reasonably-priced Chinese Elm if you want a small potted tree now.

That Ash will thicken up nicely in just a few years and they cope well with heavy trunk chops, so they are excellent material for learning those techniques. However, they need to be quite large bonsai as their compound leaves tend to make them look like palm trees if there's just a few on a small trunk.

You could pot and train the Acer at its current height but the result will be a skinny tree with nice foliage. It would be better to do some research on how you could be developing those very bottom branches and getting rid of the top.

Justin_

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:53 pm

to leatherback: great article man...my only problem is the use of the phrase "desired thickness" because the desired thickness is always "thicker than it is right now" hahahahaha...

Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:37 am

Just Mike wrote:to leatherback: great article man...my only problem is the use of the phrase "desired thickness" because the desired thickness is always "thicker than it is right now" hahahahaha...

Hahaha; true Very Happy

& thanks! Writing that article made me realize there are very few step-by-step how to's that are clear for beginners. I am now developing a website dedicated to primers. Once online I will post the link to my growing bonsai website.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down