Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Total beginner... advice on boxwood

+2
Twisted Trees
Clever
6 posters

Go down

Total beginner... advice on boxwood Empty Total beginner... advice on boxwood

Post  Clever Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:44 pm

Hello All,

I've always been a big bonsai admirer, and I have owned a couple trees some years back none of which I still have. While shopping at home depot I saw this boxwood and thought it might make a good specimen. I had a pot so I figured I would try my first 'nursery' conversion. Fueled by a bit of over-excitement, I trimmed it up and potted it before finding this awesome forum. After browsing around a bit I quickly learned some general approaches that I think I violated with my styling but you have to learn somewhere right? Could some seasoned vets give me some input and advice on the specimen and if its possible to guide it towards a respectable tree? Thanks in advance!

Total beginner... advice on boxwood Img_1610
Total beginner... advice on boxwood Img_1611
Clever
Clever

Back to top Go down

Total beginner... advice on boxwood Empty Re: Total beginner... advice on boxwood

Post  Twisted Trees Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:22 pm

How long ago did you pot it and has it shown signs of growth?
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Total beginner... advice on boxwood Empty Re: Total beginner... advice on boxwood

Post  Clever Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:37 pm

I trimmed and potted it last weekend. There are new sprout clusters popping up since the trimming. I'm in South Florida and it has been getting consistent sun daily.
Clever
Clever

Back to top Go down

Post  Norma Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:29 pm

Hi ,

The boxwood is a good beginning tree for bonsai, they do have their issues however. My boxwood have thrived in dappled shade after learning that the foliage loses it's vibrant green when it is in full sun. The soil mix should be at least 1/3 humus with 2/3 non-humus.

Never remove all the leaves with this evergreen or you may have branch die-back. It will, also, not tolerate freezing but you will probably not face that problem in Florida.

Enjoy this wonderful plant.....

Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  Clever Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:30 am

Thank you for your input Norma!
Clever
Clever

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:49 am

That looks like the standard B. microphylla, and they can take pretty cold weather. Mine freeze solid several times in the winter. Minnesota cold is probably a "bit" worse than mine, though, but you in Florida should have no problems.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:38 pm

Clever wrote:I trimmed and potted it last weekend. There are new sprout clusters popping up since the trimming. I'm in South Florida and it has been getting consistent sun daily.
Ok, now choose a style. Clump or multiple trunk. Personally, I'd choose multiple trunk and start wiring the branches downward.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Clever Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:46 am

Thanks for the reply and input. I like the idea of a multiple trunk. Would you focus the wiring on just the secondary branches or the main trunks as well?
Clever
Clever

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:34 pm

Clever wrote:Thanks for the reply and input. I like the idea of a multiple trunk. Would you focus the wiring on just the secondary branches or the main trunks as well?
Wire it all unless the trunks are exactly where you want them.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Isitangus Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:07 am

Hi clever check out the following link for in depth info of box...
http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Buxus%20Indepth.htm
I would spend some time reading, fertilising (when it's the right time) and learning to water, oh and enjoying!

Isitangus

Back to top Go down

Post  Clever Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks for the link Isitangus. It was a good read, especially the pruning advice.
Clever
Clever

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:48 pm

Isitangus wrote:Hi clever check out the following link for in depth info of box...
http://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Buxus%20Indepth.htm
I would spend some time reading, fertilising (when it's the right time) and learning to water, oh and enjoying!

Boxwoods are easy to find and tough, perfect beginner material.

There is also a lot of good info right here, especially when you're ready to move on to more advanced material. Type "boxwood' into the search bar at the top of the page, hit "topics" and "go".

Have fun!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:36 pm

If you go for the multiple trunk route then let one of the trunks grow taller and stagger the heights to add interest.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Clever Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:18 am

Thanks for the link Russell. I saw your live oak boxwoods and they were pretty awesome! Very inspiring.

Twisted Trees - Thanks for the suggestion I think that is a great way to go. I've just been looking at the tree plotting an approach.
Clever
Clever

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down