Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Knot pine style

+50
Tona
Eastern Bonsai
Dario
Jack Carrack
DaveLeeQuinn
fiona
dick benbow
Dave Leppo
giga
mikebonsai
Andrew Legg
Andrew Campbell
Emmy40
will baddeley
marie1uk
GaryWood
Hans van Meer.
Just Mike
Dan W.
Velodog2
Barry M
Patrick Cremers
Rob C
Vance Wood
sunip
dorothy7774
Justin Hervey
vev
mickmyrt
Orion
coh
MikeG
GašperG
twinsrat
Steve p
Smithy
Ryan B
Gary Swiech
cram
augustine
AlainK
jrodriguez
aristide
level320
BrianG
gope
DangerousBry
gman
JimLewis
law
54 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Knot pine style - Page 2 Empty Re: Knot pine style

Post  Steve p Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:32 am

I love it something different always gets my vote thumbs up

Steve p

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:22 am

Ryan B wrote, making it a bit personal . . .
If you're not seeing a tree here, you should get out more. This is a very contemporary Japanese way of styling some pines, especially black, brought on(at least in the east) by the popularity of Shimpaku and Juniper styles. While the crown doesn't resemble anything we see in nature, all bonsai is, to excessive or pretty big degree, an idealization, an imitation, and a miniaturazation: the map is not the territory. Jim, MOST bonsai artist DO NOT create bonsai that resemble natural trees. When you take into account all of the bonsai artists out there, most are creating idealized trees.

Well, while it is an interesting, unique, and quirky approach to bonsai, I'm sorry but really don't see a "tree" here. As a one-time Boy Scout, I see an overhand knot. And as someone who has "gotten out" to look at trees and who has grown and even tried to design a few -- in and out of pots -- for more than 40 years, and on three continents and several large Pacific Islands, I can't recall seeing -- ever -- a tree tie itself into a knot. I've seen many that are twisty, and with branches that loop around each other, but not into an overhand knot which, if pulled tight would close in on itself.

And, stare as hard as I can, I can see no "idealized" (as in its definition: Exalted to an ideal perfection or excellence) tree here.

This is, perhaps, a fault of mine. But it is what it is. And -- especially when, as a few other posts seem to note, my feeling is not unique -- I can't imagine why someone is trying to make such a case out of one persons distaste for it.

Now, let's let him design his tree and see what it looks like when it's done.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  twinsrat Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:56 am

for me very impressive, very strange and very motivate to get tree and work with it to get something add to the others boring bonsai trees
pleas keep update because it is worth to share with other bonsai enthusiasts
regards Piotr

twinsrat

Back to top Go down

Post  GašperG Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:59 am

Two different paintings...expressionism and naturalism - Both are very welcome -

I like what you did law, also see what Jim is aiming at...
GašperG
GašperG

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeG Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:20 am

I'm extremely impressed by the level of skill and talent to create such a piece of art. But personally it's not my cup of tea. It all comes down to personal taste when enjoying any art form, I believe. I'm more of an admirer of Robert Bateman then Van Gogh. Honestly I don't think you could compare the two as far as talent goes. Like I said, personel taste.
That being said- great job. You have a unique outlook and I look forward to seeing more.
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:32 am

Agree...I applaud the creativity and attempt to do something different. Bonsai could use more of that! I have to say this type of style is not my cup of tea, and I'm not a big fan of the overly twisted and coiled junipers either. But I'll reserve judgement until this tree is further developed. Please keep us posted!
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:13 pm

I really applaud your creativity on this one; I love it.
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  mickmyrt Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:50 pm

weird No

mickmyrt

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Swiech Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:42 am

It looks like Law has a touch of Dan Robinson in side him.

Elandan Gardens
Gary Swiech
Gary Swiech

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:20 am

Glad to read that some like it, others don't.

What's more boring than posting something and expecting "the crowd" to: "Wow!" "Hey!" "Fantastic!" "Stupendous!" "Magnificient!", etc. ?...

Rubbing another one's ego surely makes it swell - I mean, from my personal experience: if it doesn't work, then that is your problem Razz

Last edited by AlainK on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:42 am; edited 1 time in total
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  GašperG Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:24 am

There must be a very personal dispute on lifestile AND BONSAI and i wish it has not been discussed so much on here.
GašperG
GašperG

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:31 am

I have edited or deleted several very personal posts.

So, let's hope it doesn't continue. It's OK to disagree about a tree, or a process, or a product, but personal disputes should be taken to the Private Message or to e-mail -- or to creampuffs at 20 paces.

This thread may have worked its way to a conclusion anyway, but it WILL end if this continues.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  law Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:52 pm

Thank you.
law
law

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:53 pm

I kinda like it too :-)

but in the 'vev' design... its not a 'knot' anymore (branch is no longer stuck throught that 'hole')... how do you go from the actual design to the vev design without loosing the branch?

Back to top Go down

Post  law Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:17 pm

Vev's drawing have been made before i work it.

This is one of the possibilities for the future of this tree, more or less.

Knot pine style - Page 2 Knot_p10

Last edited by law on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
law
law

Back to top Go down

Post  aristide Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:59 pm

beautiful, i like it a lot.

and do you have an other pine to shape it like vev's idea?
because i find vev's drawing very nice also, and it can be fun to see both trees (without necessarily compare them), maybe it's not that easy to find another tree to stuck with vev's drawing

aristide

Back to top Go down

Post  vev Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:28 pm

nom virtuel est agréable, mais ce n'est qu'un virtuel, une idée, une harmonie de dessin, il faut le confronter au réel et surtout a l'évolution de l'arbre, le temps parlera pour lui
laurent a fait un bel arbre avec du réel, et sa touche personnelle, un très bon travail je pense.
my Virtual is pleasant, but it is only a virtual, an idea, a harmony of drawing, it is necessary to confront him(it) with the reality and especially has the evolution of the tree, the time(weather) will speak for him about;
Laurent made a beautiful tree with the reality, and his(her,its) touch personal, a very good work I think.
bravo l'artiste. rendeer
vev
vev

Back to top Go down

Post  law Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:12 am

aristide wrote:beautiful, i like it a lot.

and do you have an other pine to shape it like vev's idea?
because i find vev's drawing very nice also, and it can be fun to see both trees (without necessarily compare them), maybe it's not that easy to find another tree to stuck with vev's drawing

As you said. Very hard to find a similar tree. Nature don't work only for me. Yamadori curves are very capricious.

law
law

Back to top Go down

Post  aristide Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:08 pm

yes, very good work indeed.

keep on going mates

aristide

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Hervey Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:45 pm

It may not be entirely be my cup of tea but a fine cup it is non the less.
I can't speak for Law here but if you have outstanding stock to work with then it is unlikely that this design style would be considered. Given the quality of the original tree however, I probably would have done the same - if I'd had the vision.

Wonderful job Law.
Justin Hervey
Justin Hervey

Back to top Go down

Knot pine style - Page 2 Empty Hm

Post  dorothy7774 Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:27 am

Took me a while to locate this tree from Isao Omachi. Similar concept, isn't it?
Knot pine style - Page 2 Isao_o10

Knot pine style - Page 2 Law_tr10

I understand that design reflects the artist's vision and the fine balance between success and failure. Law is a great artist. He is not wasting his talent. Wasting his talent would be "not doing anything". It takes years to develop a 'design on the spot' approach. And then that design will still progress according to the artist's emotional changes as well as his or her technical abilities.

That said my comment is only like a "smile" into the proposed design, really. Bringing the tree further to the left can enhance the design and nicely tie it together - in my view:

Knot pine style - Page 2 Law_tr12

Best,
Dorothy cheers

dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  law Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:03 am

Thank you.

yes the first pic is on the same seek than mine except that i wanted to make a "closed knot" and make it evolue with the time. Not sure it's the case in that tree. But it probably have already been done by the past. Most of things have been done in asia a long time ago that' just that nobody speack about it. Or have forgot it...

Anyway, like you say, the most important is to do, in france we say "the more you speack, the less you do." No action, no mistake, and believe me i've done a lost of mistake by the past and will surelly continue to do some. Razz

That's a pleasure to learn by making the things you like to do and bonsaï have no limit concerning that. The only limit is the one you fix to yourself.

So, just let it grow now.
law
law

Back to top Go down

Post  law Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:32 am

Knot pine style - Page 2 71010
law
law

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:44 am

Beautiful, Laurent!

I'm really convinced by this one: it looks much less artificial, the line breaks are more angular, they're like a forgotten memory of broken twigs or accidents that induced changes in direction. Much more convincing than a mess of overcooked spaghetti Smile

It has this kind of dramatic movement that makes it naturally beautiful. If you have something in mind that will lead to this, I give in.

How long have you worked on this one? Did you do any major twisting like for the first one?

Well, if that's what you can do, you're just about to convince me bonsai is not simply "torturing" trees to match a tortured person's vision of the world, and that your experience is after all not so self-circumambagious.

PS: Do you have any photos of the tree before styling?...

Hat off mate... thumbs up

PPS: since last time I posted both in French and in english, and it seemed to displeased some, I'll just use English here from now on. In Rome, do as the Romans do.

Just hope this is not all Greek to you lol!
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:10 am

Hello,

A French tree.
Sunip Wink
Knot pine style - Page 2 Img_3112

sunip

Back to top Go down