Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another Welsh wonder

+41
moyogijohn
chris
Peter E.
Bob Pressler
ybonsai
ogie
Lee Kennedy
Lee Brindley
sunip
Ed van der Reek
Hans Vleugels
RichLewis
kenbu
Ian Warhurst
pmjos
mr treevolution
Les S
Fuzzy
bonsaistud
anttal63
Roger Snipes
Walter Pall
Jay Wilson
littleart-fx
Rob Kempinski
Rick Moquin
p@scal
Mario Stefano
Todd Ellis
jrodriguez
bobby little
wabashene
eaton2008
ogi uyehara
Smithy
Storm
fiona
Kev Bailey
Harleyrider
F. Waheedy
littlebobby
45 posters

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Another Welsh wonder - Page 6 Empty Re: Another Welsh wonder

Post  Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:50 am

Will

I feared you would ask that question about direction. No, it is going right all right Laughing Sunip described it well I think.

Why are welsh Hawthorns slower - I have one too, and while all other trees are happy go lucky developing it still stands there waiting. Healthy and in good mood, but waiting.
I still keep starring at that lovely bark by the way.

Regards
Morten

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:04 am

I like the pot/tree combination - good stuff young Badders.

fwiw Scottish hawthorns are equally slow. Not one of mine - bonsai or garden trees - has put out much in the way of bud, but that is normal for just now. I don't expect to see anything much until mid-April.

Okay, so just when I thought I'd got the hang of this direction thingie. Are we saying that you would place this tree on the left side of a tokonoma display or the right? I feel a photoshop fiddle coming on.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Kennedy Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:12 am

the tree is clearly moving to the left,this is defined by the direction of the sashieda and the apex,you would quite obviously only place a accent planting on the left of the tree,and place the tree to the right side of a tokonoma.To put the tree and accent the opposite way would create the "chinese dancer" aberration,(head one way arms the other direction).Nice tree Wilbur Cool
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:09 am

I still think the tree is going to the right. I also see a tree that is not finished yet and therefore it may be how Will intended to develop it further. What´s important (in my view) is that the smaller branches are pointing to the right too, especially at the largest part of the right side of the tree. This can be further underlined by letting these grow a little longer. The left part of the tree must be kept short, and also some top small branches must imply a right direction flow. Otherwise the leaning of the trunk, and the flow will work against itself.
This is one of those trees that risks to conflict with its own movement if one doesn't follow the natural direction of the tree, and try to make it balance too much by having growth pointing opposite of the trunk movement.
At this time I think the top of the canopy is doing this a little, and should be developed more to the right in order to work with the movement. The lower branches at the left side makes sufficient counterbalance in their presence and with their smaller branches and twigs developed making a hint to the right too, I see a dynamic tree in good balance and clear direction.
The strong lower part of the trunk (at the root base) also makes the tree anchored well, and clearly shows it is strongest here in order to hold the tree securely in the ground when it leans away and towards the right. This is very important to observe I think.
With a left movement of the tree it will work against this lower trunk part and look unnatural to me.
That´s just my honest view. Quick virtual below - just a hint not a finished tree.

Regards
Morten

Another Welsh wonder - Page 6 Rightm10

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:25 am

[quote="morten albek"] The left part of the tree must be kept short, and also some top small branches must imply a right direction flow. Otherwise the leaning of the trunk, and the flow will work against itself.
This is one of those trees that risks to conflict with its own movement if one doesn't follow the natural direction of the tree, and try to make it balance too much by having growth pointing opposite of the trunk movement.]
Hello,
Morten said it, on can balance a tree till dead, rules and guidelines are just rules and guidelines till your own feeling takes over.
Why a dancers jumps to the right and makes at the same time a secondary movement to the left?
Why in music there is a head theme and secondary tertiary themes playing around with several rhythms?
Well, to express a unique story i feel.
But then i think Will is aware of this.
Regards, Sunip;)

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:02 pm

Hi Will,
I agree with Morten...For whatever it is.Your tree is great,I like the way you've done to it.Thanks for sharing & we continue to learn...
Regards,
Alex Smile
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:25 pm

Ha ha ha - it's back to is the tide coming in or going out?

I must admit I originally saw it the way Lee did but Morten's virt puts a new perspective on things. Just shows you that sometime the "guidelines" don't work as clearly as other times.

In this case, Ogie and Sunip are bang on the nail and maybe we're so busy trying to work out its direction we're in danger of forgetting to see it as tree of considerable beauty in its own right. Lets just enjoy it for that reason alone.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  ybonsai Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:10 pm

Hello Will,

A beautiful tree and a beautiful pot that make a awesome combination! Very Happy
Love it!

Best regards,
Yannick

ybonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Bob Pressler Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:38 pm

Left, right or center its an awesome tree.
Bob Pressler
Bob Pressler

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:54 pm

Thankyou all for giving your time and opinions. Even with all the comprehensive explanations, I still feel the majority of the movement and strength of the tree is to the left as Lee suggested. My Idea for this tree is to grow the branches out on the right side as mentioned but also to grow the left trunks branches out even further. I shall now be thinking long and hard about this.

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:16 pm

will baddeley wrote:Welsh trees are a bit slower. Just thought I'd clarify that before a host of angry red messages come my way.

The Welsh may be slow but the Devon hawthorn also vary.
I have two specemens collected 30 miles apart.
One always flowers and is early, the other dosen't always flower and is always a month later coming into leaf.

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:02 pm

The big twin trunk Hawthorn I collected from Wales before Christmas is bursting with buds and leaves right now, but the buds on the established Hawthorn from Scotland I got from Fiona at Swindon are still tightly closed.
I wonder if this trend will continue, or will they eventually acclimatise themselves to my location?
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:32 pm

We were out collecting Welsh hawthorn today, a lot of the seedlings and fast growing young trees are in leaf but the small old trees are just budding. Not great weather but it was good to be out there.

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:35 pm

Er, excuse me, Chris. Who gave you permission to go out collecting OUR Welsh Hawthorns? I was under the impression all Welsh Hawthorn belong to the English. It's in Magna Carta, or something.

Blimmin' cheek! Very Happy

Did you find anything tasty Chris?
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi Steve,

There are a lot of our hawthorns in England its good to have this cultural exchange, we give you Hawthorns and you give us...........

Yes is the answer to getting some nice trees today, its a new site with amazing showin size trees.

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:47 pm

We give you grief, that's what! And Scousers for neighbours.

Anyway, you got your own parliament, what more do you want!

Shohin Hawthorn eh? Y'don't see many o' them! Got any pics?
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Another Welsh wonder - Page 6 Empty another welch wonder

Post  moyogijohn Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:56 pm

WILL,,,I have followed this thread since you posted it..all that i can say is a beautiful tree,,one you can be very proud of!!!! oh i forgot send it to me please!!! great work take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi Steve I will try to get some pics tomorrow.

We also gave you the romance of King Aurthur and Merlin both Welsh of course in fact I think we were digging on the hill he is sleeping under,he will be back soon and the way the Welsh team are playing these days the sooner the better!!!!!

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  chris Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:38 pm

Collected this weekAnother Welsh wonder - Page 6 Dscf5010[url==https://servimg.com/view/13830582/239]Another Welsh wonder - Page 6 Dscf5012[/url]Another Welsh wonder - Page 6 Dscf5013

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:18 pm

They look really promising Chris.

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:07 pm

I just love what you guys and gals are doing with P. spinosa!!!!! I wish we could find them here in the US but alas! we'll just have to enjoy the fine work you are doing with them in the UK. I'm jealous and want one bad!!!!!

Randy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:46 pm

Hello Randy. These are Hawthorn( Crataegus) but yes the Spinosa is excellent too.

Back to top Go down

Post  Harleyrider Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:07 pm

Looking good, Chris! I've been wanting a shohin Hawthorn for a while now. I've collected several, but they went to the great compost heap in the sky.
Harleyrider
Harleyrider

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:25 pm

will baddeley wrote:Hello Randy. These are Hawthorn( Crataegus) but yes the Spinosa is excellent too.

High Will!

Thanks for the clarification! I have P.spinosa on the brain lately. Do you know the species of Crataegus these are? The branch structure is just wonderful on them.

Randy
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:34 pm

And nothing wrong with Prunus spinosa on the brain!. The Hawthorns found in the UK are monogyna and laevigata.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next