Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

REPOTTING MY OLD YEW WITH A LOT OF DEADWOOD.

5 posters

Go down

REPOTTING MY OLD YEW WITH A LOT OF DEADWOOD. Empty REPOTTING MY OLD YEW WITH A LOT OF DEADWOOD.

Post  Hans van Meer. Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:28 am

Hi everybody,
today it finaly was time to take my old yew out off its ugly plastic container. I collected it in Wales in Nov 2007 with Tony Tickle and Enrico Savini and his student/friend/translator Ivo from (Italy). It was a yamadori find of exceptional quality and it was realy sad to see that it lost most of it's foliage during it's first years away from it's old home. But a small section did survive and over the last 3 years it got, with a lot of TLC, healthier and started to grow like crazy! So now it finaly was time to see what was hidden under the ground and to re plant it in a new (temporary) bonsai pot!
Below: The yew before I took it out off the plastic container! Look at all that amazing deadwood that I have to shape into a exciting and bold design!

REPOTTING MY OLD YEW WITH A LOT OF DEADWOOD. 31-3-212

REPOTTING MY OLD YEW WITH A LOT OF DEADWOOD. 31-3-211

Below: Here I carfully remove it from it's now opened old pot, making sure that the rootbal dont falls apart!

REPOTTING MY OLD YEW WITH A LOT OF DEADWOOD. 31-3-213

Below: Carefully removing the soil from the outer layers of the rootbal and removing all the thick and by now dead stumps, that were left from collecting the tree all those years ago.

REPOTTING MY OLD YEW WITH A LOT OF DEADWOOD. 31-3-214

Below: Amazing deadwood and a very healthy rootbal! Smile

REPOTTING MY OLD YEW WITH A LOT OF DEADWOOD. 31-3-215

Below: In it's new pot and working in the soil with a chopstick.

REPOTTING MY OLD YEW WITH A LOT OF DEADWOOD. 31-3-216

Below: Finer soil is put on as a top layer and that finished this transplant.

REPOTTING MY OLD YEW WITH A LOT OF DEADWOOD. 31-3-217

Below: The Yew in it's new (temporary) home for now. I think that this old yew will make a quit special fantasy tree with a lot of dramatic deadwood on it! I cant wait to start working on it's deadwood and foliage! But first the tree needs to get used to it's new home and I will only start to work, when I know for sure that it is safe to do! This tree is to precious to me to risk anything that could harm it's recovery! So I need some more foliage for it's first styling, so for now I only shortened the long branches before they get to thick to be bend any more. With a copper wire I pulled the main trunk more towards the center of the tree. This wire will be tightened bit by bit during the coming season!

REPOTTING MY OLD YEW WITH A LOT OF DEADWOOD. 31-3-218

Below: As you can tel from this picture, I am pretty happy with the outcome for now! cheers Very Happy

REPOTTING MY OLD YEW WITH A LOT OF DEADWOOD. 31-3-219

Hope you enjoyed this little impression of my fun day repotting with a very happy ending! Very Happy

Cheers,
Hans van Meer.

Last edited by Hans van Meer. on Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:50 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : TYPO....or two!)
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

REPOTTING MY OLD YEW WITH A LOT OF DEADWOOD. Empty Re: REPOTTING MY OLD YEW WITH A LOT OF DEADWOOD.

Post  marcus watts Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:28 am

cheers thumbs up

marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

REPOTTING MY OLD YEW WITH A LOT OF DEADWOOD. Empty Re: REPOTTING MY OLD YEW WITH A LOT OF DEADWOOD.

Post  Ed van der Reek Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:51 am

I like it Hans,looking forward to see this tree development in the coming years ThumbsUp
Gr Ed
Ed van der Reek
Ed van der Reek

Back to top Go down

Post  Rui Marques Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:36 am

Hi Hans,
Good to ear you again and with such a fine material.
BTW, what do you mean by TLC?

Nad if you decide to chop the long dead branch, please send it to me so i can put it in my living room. Very Happy

Cheers.
Rui Marques
Rui Marques

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:46 pm

TLC = Tender Loving Care
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down