Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why a Makita or Dremel will never create 'Natural' deadwood

+6
Rob Kempinski
marcus watts
Andrija Zokic
Pavel Slovák
chris
Lee Brindley
10 posters

Go down

Why a Makita or Dremel will never create 'Natural' deadwood Empty Why a Makita or Dremel will never create 'Natural' deadwood

Post  Guest Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:18 pm

This is a Yew Bonsai that I am working. I have just jin sealed the deadwood after a very thorough cleaning. The tree has had its first styling and is NOT representative of the final image so I will NOT be posting the whole tree so do not ask... if you want to see the whole tree the only way is to visit my garden Razz

Why a Makita or Dremel will never create 'Natural' deadwood Deadwo14

Why a Makita or Dremel will never create 'Natural' deadwood Deadwo15

Why a Makita or Dremel will never create 'Natural' deadwood Deadwo16

Why a Makita or Dremel will never create 'Natural' deadwood Deadwo17

Why a Makita or Dremel will never create 'Natural' deadwood Deadwo18

Why a Makita or Dremel will never create 'Natural' deadwood Deadwo19

Why a Makita or Dremel will never create 'Natural' deadwood Deadwo20

Why a Makita or Dremel will never create 'Natural' deadwood Deadwo21

Why a Makita or Dremel will never create 'Natural' deadwood Deadwo22

Back to top Go down

Why a Makita or Dremel will never create 'Natural' deadwood Empty Re: Why a Makita or Dremel will never create 'Natural' deadwood

Post  Lee Brindley Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:32 pm

Very nice. ThumbsUp

tony wrote:This is a Yew Bonsai that I am working. I have just jin sealed the deadwood after a very thorough cleaning. The tree has had its first styling and is NOT representative of the final image so I will NOT be posting the whole tree so do not ask... if you want to see the whole tree the only way is to visit my garden Razz

Is that an open invitation Tony? Dance

Last edited by Lee Brindley on Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Why a Makita or Dremel will never create 'Natural' deadwood Empty Re: Why a Makita or Dremel will never create 'Natural' deadwood

Post  chris Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:33 pm

Stunning Tony, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh so to speak in November

Regards Chris
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:35 pm

Lee Brindley wrote:Very nice. ThumbsUp Is that an open invitation Tony? Dance

My Door (gate) is always open.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Brindley Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:42 pm

tony wrote:
Lee Brindley wrote:Very nice. ThumbsUp Is that an open invitation Tony? Dance

My Door (gate) is always open.

I will take you up on that Tony. Thanks very much. Very Happy I will send you a PM.

Can you tell us any more about what chemicals you have used to clean and seal the wood? Have you not used any powertools at all or hand tools for carving?
Thanks, Lee.
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi Lee... NO machine tools have been used on this tree... where possible a 130psi Jet washer has been used to clean the wood... the rest is all by hand/natural

Back to top Go down

Post  Lee Brindley Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:45 pm

And the jin seal?
Lee Brindley
Lee Brindley

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:53 pm

Lee Brindley wrote:And the jin seal?
just jin seal.... nothing else Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi Tony
It looks beautiful. I look forward to seeing a tree. Sometimes. Wink Very Happy
Gretings Pavel
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sun Aug 07, 2011 10:47 pm

everything artificial is made by human hand and it will always be just that... (and the stone carvings you show are ok as bits of art) but true nature is always more credible.

Tony,
lovely deadwood, beautifully cleaned, i love my pressure washer and sand blaster for natural cleaning - especially when there is a little bit of natural rot and softer wood to blow away. plus time - the grain gets better and better just left alone.
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:51 pm

Andrija Zokic wrote:Everything is made by human hand.

I get your point Andrija... I doubt that they used a Matika though Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:51 am

Nice work Tony. The patterns almost have an ethereal feel. Can wait to see them with the full tree - in time I know....

BTW have you seen the article in the most recent issue of Bonsai and Stone Appreciation Magazine (BCI's magazine)? It has a very relevant article by Italian artist and BCI Board member, Massimo Bandera, about carving and aging jin with time. The 10 + year progression he shows of his larch is absolutely incredible. Talk about forgetting a Makita (die grinder)

Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin Hervey Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:55 am

It is well documented that Michaelangelo used a Dremel with a foot pump.

But seriously, wonderful dead-wood Tony and I agree it can't be matched artificially. I so often see a beautiful sections of natural deadwood and carved areas on the same tree, it gives me shivers.
Justin Hervey
Justin Hervey

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrija Zokic Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:32 am

Justin Hervey wrote:It is well documented that Michaelangelo used a Dremel with a foot pump.

Contemporary sculptors are using power tools while working in stone, it is faster.
Andrija Zokic
Andrija Zokic

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:35 am

Andrija Zokic wrote:
Justin Hervey wrote:It is well documented that Michaelangelo used a Dremel with a foot pump.

Contemporary sculptors are using power tools while working in stone, it is faster.

And many new mass produced 'sculptures' are created using computerised 3D carving here

Back to top Go down

Why a Makita or Dremel will never create 'Natural' deadwood Empty Deadwood

Post  David Carvalho Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Hello Tony,

I have seen this tree on your facebook and I must say that the deadwood work is perfect, not only the bits "carved" are very difficult to distinguish has they blend perfectly in the natural deadwood, and we are talking about a "very recent" work, with time Im sure the deadwood carved will gain that grain and texture that in the future will make it impossible to distinguish natural from "man made" deadwood.

The natural deadwood is simply outstanding, by far one of the best I've seen so far on European Taxus.

Congratulations on the amazing work,

Best regards,

David Carvalho

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrija Zokic Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:03 pm

Tony, don't get me wrong, I also think that deadwood on this Taxus is brilliant.
Andrija Zokic
Andrija Zokic

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:18 pm

Andrija Zokic wrote:Tony, don't get me wrong, I also think that deadwood on this Taxus is brilliant.

Hi Andrija... I know your point and it was well put... I was provocative in my original statement... thanks for the challenge!

Back to top Go down

Post  Nik Rozman Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:01 pm

Very well done. Smile
Nik Rozman
Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Post  mike page Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:47 pm

Congratulations to Mother Nature for a fabulous creation, and congratulations to Tony for finding it and preserving it as bonsai.
mike page
mike page

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down