Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A deadwood yew

5 posters

Go down

A deadwood yew Empty A deadwood yew

Post  Dave Murphy Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:07 pm

This is a yew that was collected from my In law's front yard in upstate New York near Rochester.  Between the deer annually pruning it back each winter and my father in law cutting it back every 5 years or so over a 40 year period, the yew developed a thick trunk and some natural deadwood.  Here is the tree just after collection in April of 2008.
A deadwood yew Attach11

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

A deadwood yew Empty Re: A deadwood yew

Post  Twisted Trees Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:17 pm

What's happened to it in the last 4 1/2 years?
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:23 pm

The tree remained untouched for the following year.  During the summer of 2009, I started to work the deadwood.  I believe carpenter ants had begun the work on the deadwood below the soil line many years earlier and had done an admirable job up until it was collected.  Using mostly hand tools on the upper portions of the trunk, I tried to replicate what the ants had done.  It was tedious work, as yew wood is extremely hard.  Eventually, I opted to use power tools to remove some of the heavy branches and create some hollows, but most of what you see was done with jin pliers and hand carvers.  Here is the tree 2 years later after it was planted in a Dale Colchoy riveted drum.
A deadwood yew Attach12
A deadwood yew Attach13

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:27 pm

Here is the tree in early 2012 after its first styling and more work on the deadwood.
A deadwood yew Attach14

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:28 pm

Here is the tree in May, 2012.  The thickest upper branch in the canopy was bent back on itself to bring the foliage back in toward the deadwood trunk.
A deadwood yew Attach17

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:34 pm

Unfortunately, the severe bending (possibly too late in the season here in GA Sad ), compromised most of the apex, and 6 weeks later, most of it was dead.  Luckily, many buds popped along the heavily bent branch, and I was able to rebuild the apex from them.  This image is from April 17, 2013.
A deadwood yew Attach18
This picture was taken just 10 days later...I love how quickly healthy yews pop and grow!

A deadwood yew Attach19

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:44 pm

Here is the tree July 4, 2013, after a trim and a rain shower.  
A deadwood yew Attach20

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:49 pm

Finally, here is the tree earlier this week.  I named it after my mother in law, Mavis Smile .
A deadwood yew Attach21

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:06 pm

Awesome! Thanks for the update
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  dre Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:47 pm

dave that yew has turned out really nice. the tree and dale pot work together so great they both have such power that balance each other great job

dre

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:57 pm

Thanks guys. I purchased that pot with this tree in mind and was quite pleased match from the beginning. Unlike many of my other trees, I don't know if I'll ever want another pot for it Very Happy .

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  dre Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:05 am

dave i'd be surprised if you can find a pot that works better perfect match

dre

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:28 am

I think it's looking great too. A square or hexagonal pot keeps popping into my gin-soaked mind. I see something with corners... don't ask me why.

R
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:53 am

Russell Coker wrote:

I think it's looking great too. A square or hexagonal pot keeps popping into my gin-soaked mind.  I see something with corners... don't ask me why.

R
Well, it's not the gin Cool... .  I could see this one in a heavy, rustic square like this one from Sara Rayner....hmmmm.

A deadwood yew Large_10

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down