Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coast Live Oak Training

3 posters

Go down

Coast Live Oak Training Empty Coast Live Oak Training

Post  j4561eff Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:27 am

I've recently wired a coast live oak and am curious if anyone can suggest how long I should leave the wire. I definitely don't want to scar the oldest tree in my collection, but I definitely want to modify some of the branch placement.

Thank you in advance.

Jeff
j4561eff
j4561eff

Back to top Go down

Coast Live Oak Training Empty Re: Coast Live Oak Training

Post  GaryWood Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:42 am

Jeff, I really don't mean to sound flippant, but, timing is always dependant on localized conditions and individual tree. Look at how tight the wire is and look frequently for swelling around the wire. If it is too tight, cut it off and re-wire if necessary. One of my favorite quotes is from Winston Churchill " We shall endeavor to persevere"
Wood
http://thingsofwood-gary.blogspot.com/

GaryWood

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:49 pm

Gary's answer is right on the money. I get this question often. My only answer is "as long as necessary."

You HAVE to watch your trees. Only you know how fast they grow, how tightly you have wired, and whether the wire is starting to bite in. Often you will have to remove the wire and rewire immediately. Sometimes that means you're working several hours, because you cannot leave the tree unwired for any length of time.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down