Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Raw Satsuki Material

Go down

Raw Satsuki Material Empty Raw Satsuki Material

Post  Guest Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:42 pm

These are two satsuki azaleas I picked up at a local garden center.

Step 1: Since they were being grown as shrubs for people's yards, they were cleaned up. No main branch structure was disturbed, just 1 year old and younger growth was taken off.

Step 2: I am going to put these into pre-bonsai pots next spring. They will be planted into kanuma. I will only let 5 or so buds flower on each tree so I can see what they look like. I will take a few pics and pull them off the next day. Satsukis should not flower the year they are repotted.

Step 3: I am going to set these aside to thicken the trunks for a couple of years before any major styling is done. A few branches may be wired after flowering.

Step 4: Will probably be styled as helmets.

Pics are before and after.

Raw Satsuki Material 100_2986

Raw Satsuki Material 100_2989

Raw Satsuki Material 100_2990

Raw Satsuki Material 100_2992

Back to top Go down

Raw Satsuki Material Empty Re: Raw Satsuki Material

Post  JimLewis Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:40 pm

I'll be interested in seeing the flowers.

I dunno how hardy satsuki are in St. Louis, but if local nurseries are selling them they must do OK over winter in the ground at least. So, that is where I would plant this one for a few years. Enjoy the flowers while this is a shrub (though you can do a lot of training while they're growing). Satsuki are almost no-growth plants in small pots, and this one is in serious need of trunk girth that only in-ground growing can provide.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:09 pm

JimLewis wrote:Satsuki are almost no-growth plants in small pots,

and this one is in serious need of trunk girth that only in-ground growing can provide.

I am going to put them into growing pots.

I agree they are in need of trunk girth, but they both have about an inch and a half girth at the base. The pictures of the two trees are looking at the base from a narrow point of view.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down