Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My foreign stones

+15
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Precarious
riversoul
Young Doan
dick benbow
vlado
Milan Kulhavy
trantanhung_nt
Andre Beaurain
Михаил
stonener
Chris Cochrane
peterbrod
sunip
ogie
19 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

My foreign stones - Page 4 Empty Re: My foreign stones

Post  Milan Kulhavy Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:43 pm

Hi Yvonne,
nice work,very nice stone.Congratulation!

Milan.

Milan Kulhavy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi Milan

Many thanks Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  vlado Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:16 am

..these black stones are fascinating...
..nice work Yvonne..
vlado

vlado

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:02 pm

Hi Vlado

I am happy you like the stones...none of them are really black, and the last has a little too dark photo....
But both, could be pearls in any collection, they are really nice.
Thanks for the response to my work....It means a lot to me, to hear this from both you and Milan, as I know you both do a lot of carvings.,

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  peterbrod Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:16 pm

nice work ThumbsUp My foreign stones - Page 4 Img_0910My foreign stones - Page 4 Img_0911
peterbrod
peterbrod

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:03 pm

Hi Peterbrod

I am happy you think I did a nice job....but you think it need some chances.

I was through a lot of japanese books and magazines before I started to carve the daiza for this stone, with the very difficult buttom, and rounded buttomrim ( look at page 1).

After studying your red lines, did I again take a look at photos of japanese daizas, to see if I was mistaken .

But I am afraid i dont see any problem....there is no gap midt back, only a slightly wider daiza, so that the few milimeters of the outerline of the stone does not cover the daiza, when looking from above.
Also is it very common to carve a endprofile like that...a daiza does not need to reach up to the widest point on a UNCUT stone ( also mountainstones). I could show you MANY examples from my books, if I had the permision.

I decided to carve the daiza like this, as I wanted to keep it as low as possible ( did not want to cover any part of the stone).... and also was is it important for me, to keep both ends at the same hight, if ever possible.....and to tilt the stone and hide a part, was not a option I cared about at all, after looking at that many photos. There was no problem, and it was not needed.

You are welcome to reply.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  peterbrod Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:15 am

sunny My foreign stones - Page 4 Img_0913My foreign stones - Page 4 P9210014
peterbrod
peterbrod

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:37 am

Hi Peterbrod

Many thanks for your reminder....I will keep sharper next time.

We are only human...and by the fact, you send me a photo of your lastest daiza showing something ( maybe ) similar, do I fell much better, and respect you.
I found more things on your latest daiza, witch did not please me, but I was really not into criticising you, as I have learned a LOT from you.... just thought, maybe our ways had seperated.

Look forward to see more daizas from you. Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:50 am

Hi again

I have made this daiza for the third stone I found in the Kamogawa, Japan. You can see photos as it was, as newfound in the topic " stones I found in the Kamogawa".
The stone was in the garden all year. It has become a lot darker....the edge of a old chip in the left corner, have been dullet, with the use of a hard brush and a cottoncloth from time to time, during the summer.

One of the things I like about the stone is, that it is the same kinds of stoneblend, as the black Kamogawastone from page 5 with a little gray on the backside, just opposite.

This stone can be nice in a summerdisplay, as it takes a lot of water, and holds it for a while. ( this is also the reason why, I dare not leave in the garden in the winter).
In the daiza does this suiseki stand 15 cm long, 9 wide, and 5 high

My foreign stones - Page 4 Img_0918

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:13 pm

Hi Friends

To those of you, who does not log in very often. Do I want to inform you, that I have now started up a suiseki gallery here on IBC....sadly, you have to be a member and log in, to see my stones....found, bought, foreign and danish.
Hope for your visit Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:14 am

This stone have I found in Spain, now that frost can be expected at night, is it time to take it in, and make a daiza......
I will be pleased, if you will play along, and give a offer on how you think a nice rim/profile for this daiza could be.
I have an idea, but I am happy to see other suggestions
My foreign stones - Page 4 Img_1017
The highest meassure on the rim is 1.5 cm. not including the penline, that show the legline.

Kind regards Yvonne...new photos will soon be updatet on my gallery Smile .

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:03 am

The daiza for the spanish stone is now finished Smile .....

It stands W29 H13.5 and 15 cm deep.
My foreign stones - Page 4 Img_1210
The wild stone reminds of the mountains in the west of Mallorca ( the danish name)...they reach out in the ocean....this stone is to me, a fronteer cliff in the water...shaped by the wind and rain...tide an waves comming in from the southwest, shaped the line in the low part.

To honour the spanish stone and collors, who is to be found in the landscape and small towns, on the island Mallorca, am I not going to stain the daiza, nor will I varnish it with shoecream, as I normaly do, because the shape of the stone is so rough, sheen on the daiza, will look wrong.
The daiza will become a little darker in a short time...like the yellow collor on the stone.
My foreign stones - Page 4 Img_1211
When looking at the almost white backside, is it easy to see how I was found...buttom and back had been up in the sun for a very long time, and what now is the front, was kept in the shade.

This stone will also look good in a suiban in a summer exhibition.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:38 pm

Enthusiasts should consider that daiza (exception can be made for oily woods like teak, ebony & rosewood or some very stable woods like paulownia) need to be sealed on all sides. Clear sealing finishes can be flat (without sheen) and nearly invisible to achieve your understandable objective, Yvonne. Without sealing the wood, the end grain is likely to "check" (crack along the line of graining) at opposite ends of the seat. Without full sealing, most woods will breath and warp-- especially when thickness of the board has been substantially reduced by the depth of slotted fitting for a viewing stone.

Without sealing, seats crafted & stored in more temperate zones or in unheated spaces are often impossible to re-seat after heated or air-conditioned storage. I will illustrate on a separate thread.

Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:08 pm

Hi Chris

I have actully given it a thought....It probably is best to seal the daiza.

I tried on a little pice of the wood, wich are old rainforrestwood ( all I know)...the shoecream gave a collor on some parts, I was not happy about when polished....
The thin cameliaoil, gave a little more collor than I wanted( I am watching this piece, hoping the collor become better, as the oil dry....
I wanted to wait untill the collor was right, and then perhaps seal.
Could be, I can use the shoecream when the collor is right, and then dont polish, but just leave it....
What do you think....Can you recommend a sealing, that vont give sheen or collor?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:30 pm

Hi Yvonne... You should ask a more experienced woodworker than me. Peter would likely know both products and ideal applications. I think Sean uses a spray lacquer, but his daiza are generally dark in-color. I am all thumbs with spray applications.

For a light wood, be sure to check on the "ambering/yellowing" effects of some sealant finishes. Among my finishes, I see a polyacrylic finish (MINWAX brand) recommended for light-colored wood protection.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi Chris...Thanks Smile

After my last reply, did I try the shoewax without giving the polish, on a small piece of the wood. And it does look as it works....looks like the wood become slightly darker in the wished way. I will take a closer look in the morning, hope it will be usefull. Otherwise will the question to Peter, be plan B...

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:17 am

Hi All

I ended up given the previus daiza a yellowbrown stain....all the good intensions, but it look better now Smile

The next little stone, standing 7.5 cm w, 3 cm tall, and 4 cm deep.

I have removed the photo, as 3 hours of more work improved the daiza .No need to show it two times now...see it on my gallery Smile

The stone was found last year in may, on the banks of Moldau, the river that run through Prague. Cz
The stone was in the garde all the time. I dont think it is a stone that will improove, if given a sheen. So it will be kept as it is....maybe I take it back in the garden again next summer...but already now is the surface nice.
I found a second stone, a jasper...I will show it some other day.

Kind regards Yvonne

Last edited by Yvonne Graubaek on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : photo removed)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:38 am

The fourth stone I found in Kamogawa, in its daiza....now only one remain.
This one is very humble, standing 12.5 cm wide, and 8 tall, and deep.
My foreign stones - Page 4 Img_1510

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:02 pm

The last two japanese stones from Kyoto in daizas....the yellow jasper " person" from the soil, and the "dan-seki" from the kamogawa river....Now all the 7 stones, found in a few hours, from my trip in january 2012 is "house"
My foreign stones - Page 4 Img_1613
Hope you like them.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:31 pm

Helo Yvonne.
The jasper stone gives me a calm observing figure.
The dan seki is giving me (beside a landscape stone) the image of a resting eagle.
Your trip along the Kamagowa was worth the effort.
I am wondering if the little daiza of the jasper stone would work better with a bit different color??
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi Sunip

Yes, it was a trip, that gave me many nice, very difrent stones...I am very pleased.
I thought about giving the daiza one more paint-ower of the same yellowbrown taint, it will darken the collor...Would this be an idea, or should I try something else?

Kind regards Yvonne.....resting eagle?...i will have to take a extra look, but I dont think it will be found by me, having the stone in my hand Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:32 pm

Hello Yvonne.
Only to study how it would work, the yellow works stronger now for me, maybe even a thinge of purple to it???
Here with the eagles eye.
All naturally free playing, if permitted the daiza and stones are nice enough.
Sunip Wink
My foreign stones - Page 4 Untitl26[/url[url=https://servimg.com/view/16274585/382]My foreign stones - Page 4 Untitl27

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:54 am

This entire thread reminds me of a similar sense that I get from my japanese garden.

Just as our author posted her first pic on this thread and went on to explain where the stone was found and the concept of all those who had stepped on it going back and forth. It created a sense of value. Not because the stone was shaped into a special classification but because it will always remind Yvonne of her trip when she views it.

It reminds me of how i view my japanese garden that i built and designed. Each rock placement, each pine tree,
each bush or ground cover, some purchased, some traded, some given as gifts reminds me of a time or a friend.
I see value there.

I enjoy seeing stones shared in this manner. How wonderous would it be to ponder who each individual was who may have trod upon the jasper. prince and pauper alike. No wonder all people,like the japanese, respect the eons of time represented in a single stone. It reminds us all as humans, how fleeting our lives are and how important to recongnize the gift that each day is.

...all who have achieved real excellence,
in any art poessess one thing in common;
that is, a mind to obey nature, to be one
with nature, throughout the four seasons
of the year. Basho
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:15 am

Hi Dick

I am happy you like the continued story, as this is how I experience may way to the stones...a long learningprosess, the love and respect for the stones, what they are, and what they stand for....

Hi Sunip

I added a little more yellowbrown to the daiza, it was not enough...I will now go the the collor you suggest.
I see the eagle now....

Kind regards Yvonne Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:15 am

Hello Yvonne

Just looked at your Gallery for the first time, very nice selection of stones, but the Daiza's , wow.

The Daiza that you made for the Turtledove is incredible sensitive and sensual.

Love and light
Andre
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next