Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boxwood/live oak

+16
jgeanangel
Mitch Thomas
Dale Cochoy
fiona
Sam Ogranaja
Tom Simonyi
Russell Coker
coh
mike page
Pavel Slovák
Fore
Poink88
Todd Ellis
moyogijohn
sunip
JimLewis
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Boxwood/live oak - Page 2 Empty Re: Boxwood/live oak

Post  Dale Cochoy Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:57 pm

Jim, let me ask since you seem to worry about it's health their and color, Do you keep it in the sun?
For years I kept all my boxwoods in the sun or partial shade and the color NEVER looked good, sparce foliage and lots of orange leaves and dead twigging. Years ago I started keeping them in constant shaded areas, not heavy shade but no direct sun. Some have only early morning sun. They took off! Color and foliage. It was not the watering, the pot depth or the fertilizing, it was simply too much sun.

I guess I should also mention that mine have also very rapidly root-bound the pots. Tremendous fine root growth here. I find mine do best if repotted EVERY year!

D.

Last edited by Dale Cochoy on Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Fore Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:14 pm

Wow Jim, that is one HUGE tree. I'd never seen an oak that big. Extremely impressive!

And I agree with you Jim, sometimes you have to sacrifice the "best pot", for the health and vigor of the tree...esp. so in hot humid places like NC. I have my Bald Cypress in an oversized pot, with some organics mixed in to keep it wetter than my other trees. Does it look great? No, but it's healthy.
Fore
Fore

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:28 pm

Dale Cochoy wrote:Jim, let me ask since you seem to worry about it's health their and color, Do you keep it in the sun?
For years I kept all my boxwoods in the sun or partial shade and the color NEVER looked good, sparce foliage and lots of orange leaves and dead twigging. Years ago I started keeping them in constant shaded areas, not heavy shade but no direct sun. Some have only early morning sun. They took off! Color and foliage. It was not the watering, the pot depth or the fertilizing, it was simply too much sun.

D.

Hey Dale
That has been my findings also. I have a good friend in Mobile Al that keeps his on slabs, and they do well for him.

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Boxwood/live oak - Page 2 Empty Angel Oak

Post  jgeanangel Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:30 pm

John's Island in South Carolina

Boxwood/live oak - Page 2 P1030090

Boxwood/live oak - Page 2 P1030093

Boxwood/live oak - Page 2 IMG_0381

Have often wondered what a bonsai would look like if the branches found their way back into the soil.

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:35 pm

WOW! John, great tree.....
and on your own personal island too!....

D.
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:50 pm

Dale Cochoy wrote:Jim, let me ask since you seem to worry about it's health their and color, Do you keep it in the sun?

D.

It's generally in the sun, but color seems good (except in winter). I'll try it in more shade, Dale and see.

Thanks.

John, that is a lovely tree. Q. virginiana is one of the most amazing species in the world!

There's no reason we couldn't style a boxwood or a youpon or Japanese holly, or even a Privet so their branches touch the soil. At least in Tallahassee, the oaks put down roots at those points, but how well they would support the branch if it became detached from the main tree I don't know.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:56 pm

Dale Cochoy wrote:WOW! John, great tree.....
and on your own personal island too!....

D.
And loaded with female friends. Paradise no doubt!!!
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:15 pm

JimLewis wrote:
In my eye you need a bit more height to carry off a long shallow pot - the tree is a bit too squat now.

But "squat," wide and massive is the hallmark of the species this is trying to emulate.

Maybe I didn't make my point clear enough. I accept that you're trying to emulate these trees in the wild and I think you are right in doing so. I also think you are making a great job of it.

My point was simply a general one about long, shallow pots, which is why I introduced it by saying "hypothetically speaking"). IMHO trees that go best in that type of pot are ones that have a bit of height. Yours is squat (deliberately so) therefore IMHO a long, shallow pot would not be best for it. It was not a criticism of the squatness of the tree; just my personal rationale for why the type of pot suggested would not by my choice. I think you better get a feel for the power of the tree with the diameter of pot it's in, although (again IMHO) I myself would use something a little shallower if the health of the tree allowed it.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:51 pm

This is a great thread, lots of good info here.

May I post one I've been working on?
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:36 pm

Russell
You took the words right off my keyboard. I also have one that i would like to post for comment. I belive you originally collected it a few years ago.

Jim
Well Jim, how about it?

Mitch

Last edited by Mitch Thomas on Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Oops)

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:38 pm

Okay by me. All has been said that needs/can be said about my tree.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Jim
Here is my live oak style Boxwood. I have had it for a couple if years. I bought it at a auction as garden yamadori. If i remeber right our own Russell Coker collected it. I don't have a picture of it but I have been styling it to memic a very old live oak in Audubon zoo in New Orleans. It's the tree next to monkey hill that generations have climbed me in included as a much younger child.Boxwood/live oak - Page 2 266213bb
I have just finished repotting and thinning the leaves and installing wire as needed. It has a way to go but I am pleased with it so far. The pot was custom made by my friend and potter Byron Myric. It measures 26" x 16" x 2". Next year I will tweak the tree placement. I didn't want to remove to many roots on the first potting.
I have some small areas to carve to enhance taper on some branches and also some hollows.

All comment and suggestions welcome. What a Face

Ps this is my first picture post from my iPhone, that's a major accomplishment for me. I am computer/ technology challenged.

Mitch

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:30 pm

I want it back.

I did give some to our auction that I pulled out of a trash heap down the street from my house. I only kept one. Damnit.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:40 pm

Russell

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.
Yes I kinda remember you telling how you acquired it. How long ago was it? Maybe 2007?

How would you improve it next year?

Where is your tree?

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:44 pm

Gorgeous tree, Mitch. I still think the relatively shallow/wide pot accentuates the tree and adds to the feeling of a majestic, massive old live oak.

OK Russell, where's the one you kept? Don't keep us in suspense!
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:08 am

Chris
Thanks, yea me too I think Byron nailed it. I need to finish the carving and clean the bark.

I know Russells tree is a killer. I havn't seen it in a while.

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  rock Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:00 am

Russell Coker wrote:

This is a great thread, lots of good info here.

May I post one I've been working on?
Nope, we have seen enough bonsai for now

affraid

of course you can post a tree you goofy goober,

its what we live for. Well that and pizza,
Rock... out

oh and ice cream, bonsai pizza and ice cream

rock
rock

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:51 am

Well, here's my baby...

Boxwood/live oak - Page 2 9-10_010

Boxwood/live oak - Page 2 9-10_011

And here's one I'm styling like it...

Boxwood/live oak - Page 2 Bnoxwo10

Boxwood/live oak - Page 2 Bnoxwo11

Boxwood/live oak - Page 2 Bnoxwo12

It has a long way to go, I decided to position the branches with guy wires this first go around. We'll see how it goes.

I'll get a picture of the other one from the trash heap tomorrow - weather permitting.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:13 am

Mitch Thomas wrote:Jim
Here is my live oak style Boxwood. I have had it for a couple if years. I bought it at a auction as garden yamadori. If i remeber right our own Russell Coker collected it. I don't have a picture of it but I have been styling it to memic a very old live oak in Audubon zoo in New Orleans. It's the tree next to monkey hill that generations have climbed me in included as a much younger child.Boxwood/live oak - Page 2 266213bb

All comment and suggestions welcome. What a Face

Ps this is my first picture post from my iPhone, that's a major accomplishment for me. I am computer/ technology challenged.

Mitch

Mitch

This is a very nice tree Mitch!
I love the lowest branch touching the ground. reminds me of a huge mango tree. i like to put a tire swing under that branch. Smile

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Mitch Thomas Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:43 am

Russell
I like the way your going. It's going to be a show stopper! The inspiration trees are awesome. The southern live oaks are a wonder of natural engenieering. I am looking forward to seeing your other tree. I wish JD would show some of his here.

Jun
Thanks, yea I can all most see in my minds eye me and my kids climbing it. I really need to clean the soil line nabari. I uncovered about a inch and a half lower, the base diameter is close to 8". My friend from Hawaii says it reminds him of a Monkey Pod tree.

Mitch

Mitch Thomas

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:08 pm

Russell,

Bringing down the branches with the guy wires has definitely given the tree a lot of "oak character". I especially like the view in the last photo.

Couple of technical questions about the use of the guy wires...(1) are you using plastic tubing to protect the branches (tough to see from the photos) and, (2) what are most of the wires attached to at the pot level - do you have wires embedded in the soil, or are they attached to roots?
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:16 pm

Very well done on both!

This is a 4-year-old cutting from my big one.

Boxwood/live oak - Page 2 2-12_m11
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Boxwood/live oak - Page 2 Empty Great thread!

Post  GeneMartin Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:55 pm

This is a very informative and inspirational thread! Many thanks to everyone for their contributions!
--Gene
GeneMartin
GeneMartin

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:09 pm

GeneMartin wrote:This is a very informative and inspirational thread! Many thanks to everyone for their contributions!
--Gene
I agree. Having 2 potential boxwood candidates for this style, I am even more grateful. Keep it coming and thanks again!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:39 am

coh wrote:Russell,

Bringing down the branches with the guy wires has definitely given the tree a lot of "oak character". I especially like the view in the last photo.

Couple of technical questions about the use of the guy wires...(1) are you using plastic tubing to protect the branches (tough to see from the photos) and, (2) what are most of the wires attached to at the pot level - do you have wires embedded in the soil, or are they attached to roots?

Thanks Chris.

I really had to do some major branch moving so I figured this was the quickest way. The wire comes up through the drainholes and is padded with plastic tubing around the branches. My plan (best laid plans...) is to finish the finer wiring so it doesn't look like a hot mess. This one is really typical of younger boxwoods from landscapes. This one was in my front yard. I've found some huge old ones in a yard and I'm trying to find out who owns them and if they'd let me dig them. I may not be up to the challenge.

Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next