Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maidstone Bonsai Club at the Bearsted Show

+5
Ian Warhurst
Jeremy
Lee Kennedy
Stone Monkey
bonsai monkey
9 posters

Go down

Maidstone Bonsai Club at the Bearsted Show Empty Maidstone Bonsai Club at the Bearsted Show

Post  bonsai monkey Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi Guys,
I just thought I’d share some images for our Clubs display at the Bearsted Carnival on Saturday. While the Stone Monkey was sunning himself at Ceramics South East the rest of us were entrusted with stalling out for the Society. It was our second show in 3 weeks but I think that we put on a decent display for what is only a small local club.
Maidstone Bonsai Club at the Bearsted Show Ibc_bs13

The visitors that we had kept the 4 of us manning the stand busy with questions and our PR machine was in full swing. Let’s see how many new members we get out of it!!

Maidstone Bonsai Club at the Bearsted Show Ibc_bs14

Maidstone Bonsai Club at the Bearsted Show Ibc_bs15

Maidstone Bonsai Club at the Bearsted Show Ibc_bs16

Maidstone Bonsai Club at the Bearsted Show Ibc_bs17

As this was a general event I took a leaf out of Jerry’s book (I hope you don’t mind) and took some raw material along to work on. This seemed to go down very well with people spending time watching me work (and I’m no expert by any stretch of the imagination!) and asking questions and even the younger visitors had a chance to “poke” a tree.
Rather this than a display tree affraid

All in all a good day and I think that this year our Club has come on leaps and bounds so thinking hats on for next year!!
Love, Peace & Bananas,
Simon

NB
The Web hosting has cropped some of my pics.
I'm not that bad with a camera honest!!
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Maidstone Bonsai Club at the Bearsted Show Empty Re: Maidstone Bonsai Club at the Bearsted Show

Post  Stone Monkey Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:45 pm

Simon

As in my emails to you today. EXCELLENT!! This is the best display our little club has put on for a long time. Well done to all who took part and put together a great display. Pity I could not be there Crying or Very sad

All the best mate

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Maidstone Bonsai Club at the Bearsted Show Empty Re: Maidstone Bonsai Club at the Bearsted Show

Post  Lee Kennedy Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:22 pm

Looking good Chimps Laughing
Lee Kennedy
Lee Kennedy

Back to top Go down

Maidstone Bonsai Club at the Bearsted Show Empty Bonsai are magic, just not made by magic.

Post  Jeremy Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:25 pm

Good on you Maidstone members.
De-mystifing the art of bonsai with the public. Seems it isn't magic or a dark art after all Exclamation affraid
Could someone tell Pipa Greenwood. scratch
CONGRATS TO THE ORGANISERS AND MEMBERS ALIKE.
Society shows are a challenge sometimes, getting the show to develop further refinement and still keep all members happy. The challenge of over elaborate scrolls, not enough tables, dressing the tree and overcrowding are all a headache for all UK show organiser.
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Ian Warhurst Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:26 pm

Well done Simon keep up the good work.

Ian.

Ian Warhurst

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:41 pm

Excellent display.

Looks like this educational theme has really taken off. We did it a few years ago when I displayed a range of Oaks from seedling to a 100 year old tree, illustrating the development in about 5 stages. Our new chairman picked up the idea and ran with it at our recent 2 day show at a garden centre. It was very well received and we hope to have a few new members from it.

Forget Pippa Greenwood, Jerry, she's a hopeless bonsai hater.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:36 am

bonsai monkey wrote:
(...) ...but I think that we put on a decent display for what is only a small local club.

Indeed, you did from what I can see.

I always enjoy watching such exhibitions, where people who like bonsai share what they think is the best of themselves. Thanks a lot, I appreciate, it just goes to show that even without "farting high above your ass" as we old-world barbarians say, you can offer a glimpse into what beauty means.

Cool
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:43 am

Nice job with the trees.

I don't understand the UK infatuation with Asian scrolls, to the point of affixing them to a temporary cloth screen that is semitransparent. Mimicking a tokonoma in this sort of environment is like painting a Renaissance fresco on a sheet of plaster board between two pine 2x4s. Why can't the trees stand on their own as works of art? I feel the scrolls in this flimsy setting don't do the display nor the tree justice. Embarassed Evil or Very Mad
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:52 am

Rob Kempinski wrote:
I feel the scrolls in this flimsy setting don't do the display nor the tree justice. Embarassed Evil or Very Mad

Smile

I like the simplicity of the double-trunk maple...
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:47 am

Thanks for all your kind comments and observations Very Happy
I agree with Jerry that it is difficult to keep all the members happy and produce a well balanced display but we will keep trying to improve!!

Rob
Thanks for your input. It was the first show we had done using our own backdrops and I agree that the show through was not ideal and maybe we should have not used the scrolls. We could have doubled the backdrops up, as we had two, but we were running a wee bit later than planned on set-up and by the time we started on the displays it was a bit late - fate-a-cornflake really.

I'm sure that we will look at what we could have done better at a post mortum at some point but I feel that the only way to learn from your mistakes is to put our work out there, weather it's the trees or displays, and see what happens affraid
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:45 am

I dont think you need to be looking at it as a "mistake". The (few) scrolls you had may not be set up according to the purists or in accordance with strict Japanese "rules", but if the aim of the show was to raise the profile of your own group and/or to get Bonsai to the public's attention, then the scrolls probably did a job for you. At similar types of show of our own, I have found that the "pretty things hanging on the wall" are often as much a talking point with the public as the trees are. That's important for an organisation trying to promote itself and its art to the laity. Accent plants seem to have the same attraction for the public and I find myself frequently talking about those at shows to people with only a passing interest in the tree it's complementing. And yes, you may get the occasional pedant (such as myself) who will tut-tut and say 'oh that scroll's a nano-b***-hair too much to the right of the tree', but then you can congratulate them on their insght and invite them to your group as they obviously have a natural eye... yada..yada..yada...

It was a tremendous effort, Monks me ole chap, well done. I almost wish I lived in England!

OK that last bit was a lie! lol!
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down