Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Follow-up questions

5 posters

Go down

Follow-up questions Empty Follow-up questions

Post  Carolee Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:29 pm

These are a few questions I have had regarding different answers in some posts.
well kept (or no) moss
by Jim L. in Need a bug id please . . .
What is the potential problem with moss? and What do you mean by well kept?

One post asked how to get rid of ants in a pot. What is the risk and nature of the damage by ants to bonsai? (I don't think I have any nests in my pots; I'm just curious.)

Another post asked about chlorosis in tridents. If I use miracid fertilizer instead of miracle-gro routinely on all my trees, (not just the 'acid-loving ones'), will it cause any problems for the others?

Thanks so much! I appreciate this site and the experts that share their knowledge! I learn so much.
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Follow-up questions Empty Re: Follow-up questions

Post  Rick Moquin Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:14 pm

Carolee wrote:These are a few questions I have had regarding different answers in some posts.
well kept (or no) moss

... moss can take over a pot, make it difficult to see when the tree needs watering, and if it completely envelops the surface prevents natural evaporation. Moss here and ther may add to the visual effect but is usually not permitted to grow unless we want to display our tree with that effect.

One post asked how to get rid of ants in a pot. What is the risk and nature of the damage by ants to bonsai? (I don't think I have any nests in my pots; I'm just curious.)

... ants are aphid farmers, enough said. If you have ants crawling around your trees/soil, the're farming, take a closer look what is going on.

Another post asked about chlorosis in tridents. If I use miracid fertilizer instead of miracle-gro routinely on all my trees, (not just the 'acid-loving ones'), will it cause any problems for the others?

yes to trees that prefer a sweeter soil, the opposite of chlorosis. (short answer)
Rick Moquin
Rick Moquin

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:31 am

Carolee wrote:These are a few questions I have had regarding different answers in some posts.
well kept (or no) moss

Too much moss can damage bark on your trees -- particularly on azaleas, maples and other smooth barked trees. Moss in (covering) your pots almost by definition means your soil is too wet, and root rot is a potential problem.

Well kept means simply that I "mow" my mossy lawns quite frequently to keep it from piling up in thick billows. (Around here, you have moss. Period. I just went though my trees and removed all moss from 20 pots. I'll do a few more tomorrow. It'll be back in a month.

In addition to the potential aphid problem, ants tend to disturb the soil (particularly the organic component). A nest of ants in a pot can create root problems.

Miracid won't do anything to or for chlorosis that Miracle-Gro won't do. Chlorosis is caused by the lack of micronutrients -- Iron being the major one, but a lack of manganese or zinc can also cause it. Both Miracle-Gro and Miracid (made by the same company, I believe) contain all of the micronutrients, but sometimes not in sufficient strength. I always have a bottle of "chelated iron" spray (it contains the other micronutrients, too) on hand, and add 10 cc to each gallon of fertilizer once or twice a summer.

I seldom use Miracid. Miracle-Gro produces an acid-enough mixture when mixed according to label directions that even azaleas don't need more.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Alan Walker Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:51 pm

JimLewis wrote: Miracid won't do anything to or for chlorosis that Miracle-Gro won't do. Chlorosis is caused by the lack of micronutrients -- Iron being the major one, but a lack of manganese or zinc can also cause it. Both Miracle-Gro and Miracid (made by the same company, I believe) contain all of the micronutrients, but sometimes not in sufficient strength. I always have a bottle of "chelated iron" spray (it contains the other micronutrients, too) on hand, and add 10 cc to each gallon of fertilizer once or twice a summer.

I seldom use Miracid. Miracle-Gro produces an acid-enough mixture when mixed according to label directions that even azaleas don't need more.
I seem to recall reading that Miracle-Gro is, ironically, slightly more acidic than Miracid.
Alan Walker
Alan Walker

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:13 pm

I seem to recall reading that Miracle-Gro is, ironically, slightly more acidic than Miracid.
I had not heard that, and there was no relevant info on the manufacturer's website.

I do have test results that showed a sample of akadama was surprisingly more acidic that kanuma when tested at a local University lab.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Carolee Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:06 am

Thanks for all the answers! I've been away for awhile and just got back. I appreciate the chance to learn.

I always have a bottle of "chelated iron" spray (it contains the other micronutrients, too) on hand, and add 10 cc to each gallon of fertilizer once or twice a summer.

Jim, I have liquid chelated iron. Can I use this and add to the liquid fertilzer when needed or is your spray a specific type micronutrients?

[/quote] Around here, you have moss. Period[quote] I too live an a very humid area, and we have had an unusual amount of rain this summer. I have noticed on many of my trees that the soil surface has become green. I assume it is algae. The soil continues to drain quickly, but the surface almost seems 'solid' to the touch. I stir it up periodically. Should I do something more?
Carolee
Carolee

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:58 pm

Carolee wrote:Thanks for all the answers! I've been away for awhile and just got back. I appreciate the chance to learn.

I always have a bottle of "chelated iron" spray (it contains the other micronutrients, too) on hand, and add 10 cc to each gallon of fertilizer once or twice a summer.

Jim, I have liquid chelated iron. Can I use this and add to the liquid fertilzer when needed or is your spray a specific type micronutrients?

That won't hurt. Read the label. It may have more than just iron in it.

Around here, you have moss. Period

I too live an a very humid area, and we have had an unusual amount of rain this summer. I have noticed on many of my trees that the soil surface has become green. I assume it is algae. The soil continues to drain quickly, but the surface almost seems 'solid' to the touch. I stir it up periodically. Should I do something more?

I scrape the top quarter inch off and add fresh soil.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down