Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Big footed larch. Larix decidua. Bending the trunk and first styling

5 posters

Go down

Big footed larch.      Larix decidua.   Bending the trunk and first styling Empty Big footed larch. Larix decidua. Bending the trunk and first styling

Post  Vlad Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:36 am

Spring 2017. A year after collection.  For the whole 2016 the tree has grown  vigorously so I have decided to go ahead with planned bending of the straight trunk.  No wedge on the bottom. Just a simple cut up to the slightly over 1/2 of the thickeness of the trunk then closing the slit with a jack and making another cut extending a bit the previous one.  Closing the gap and making anoter cut. That all has been repeated several times to reach the maximum possible.  

Before.
Big footed larch.      Larix decidua.   Bending the trunk and first styling 006_b10

After.  Not as much as I planned but I had to stop due to the crack on the top side of the trunk.  The bend has been directed downwards and to the right.
Big footed larch.      Larix decidua.   Bending the trunk and first styling 009_b10

Spring 2018

First styling.   Aiming at semi or full cascade

Cascading branches in place
Big footed larch.      Larix decidua.   Bending the trunk and first styling 002_b10

Now I need to develop the primary branches on the top.  First approach graft in place
Big footed larch.      Larix decidua.   Bending the trunk and first styling 006_b11

Please note the short internodes
Big footed larch.      Larix decidua.   Bending the trunk and first styling 012_b10

Initial signs of maturing flaky bark
Big footed larch.      Larix decidua.   Bending the trunk and first styling 019_b10
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Big footed larch.      Larix decidua.   Bending the trunk and first styling Empty Re: Big footed larch. Larix decidua. Bending the trunk and first styling

Post  my nellie Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:15 pm

Good work, Vladimir!
Thanks for sharing the documentation!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Big footed larch.      Larix decidua.   Bending the trunk and first styling Empty Re: Big footed larch. Larix decidua. Bending the trunk and first styling

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:21 pm

BALLSY BEND ATTEMPT !!!
even that little bit added to it though !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  yamasuri Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:38 am

Lovely!! ThumbsUp
yamasuri
yamasuri

Back to top Go down

Big footed larch.      Larix decidua.   Bending the trunk and first styling Empty Follow Up Question

Post  oldorchard Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:55 pm

Great looking collected material....

You mentioned....."making another cut extending a bit the previous one."

Can you elaborate on this a bit please? Not clear what " Extending a bit the previous one" means.

Also could you comment on the separation off the individual cuts 1", 3", 5" ?

Thank you.

Best regards,

D/D
Chicago

oldorchard

Back to top Go down

Post  Vlad Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:07 pm

@ Kevin_You are right.  I was thinking to make another bend once the tree will recover but the longer I look on it I think that it looks more natural as it is...  
@ Alexandra&yamasuri_ Thank you. Happy you like it.
@oldorchard_Sorry to make it more complex than it is.  Just make a number of cuts in the same spot. One after one. After each cut close the slit a bit.  Not too tight otherwise it will hold the blade of the saw.  Not too loose as you need to extend the slit a bit further.   It is like making a wedge but in a few steps.  In my experience after some practice (preferably on some branches taken from the woods Cool  ) you will get much better fit of a cambium on both sides of the wound than with a simple wedge. And better control of the process. As it was in the above case I was able to stop immediately after developing the crack on the top and still having good connection of the cambium on both sides of the cut.
Vlad
Vlad

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:37 pm

Vlad wrote:... ...It is like making a wedge but in a few steps.  
... ...And better control of the process.
Exactly this!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down