Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Florida Privet

3 posters

Go down

Florida Privet Empty Florida Privet

Post  hiram Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:06 am

Here is a collected Florida Privet I just styled. I hope you enjoy it and critique.
Florida Privet Privet10
hiram
hiram

Back to top Go down

Florida Privet Empty Re: Florida Privet

Post  Todd Ellis Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:37 am

This tree looks like it has a great future! Awesome base!
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:48 pm

That looks like a nice tree with some potential. However, I think I would consider somethng other than literati, if you can force some backbudding. The trunk/base seems to heavy and massive for a literati. (To me.)

For those who are interested, this is not a Privet -- Ligustrum -- despite its common name. It is Forestiera segregata, but like Ligustrum, it is a member of the Olive family.

More here: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fp213
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:04 pm

I like the tree character Hiram...the base is awesome. What is your idea on the design?

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  hiram Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:26 am

Thank you all for your input. But I believe less is more. Here is a picture before I went crazy. Jun, right now I am following the trunk line and I am thinking of doing my apex and all the branches on the left. I need to draw it out and see what the tree gives me. It is a very old native tree from here and I would estimated over 40 years old. This tree was collected by Jim Moody from Jupiter bonsai and I just got it on a trade. Allen Carver, Jim Moody's grandson is a very close friend of mine and he had in a corner in the nursery. One year ago my friend bought it and it was a huge bush and now this is where it is. I would like to place it in a round pot and a little shallower. It used to be a double trunk but the trunks were not fused. bounce
Florida Privet Fl_pri10
hiram
hiram

Back to top Go down

Post  hiram Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:59 am

here is a rough sketch I did this afternoon of what I would like to do with this Privet.
Florida Privet Fla_pr10

Last edited by hiram on Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : mispelled)
hiram
hiram

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down