Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto

+8
stonener
Loke Emil
peterbrod
Young Doan
dick benbow
Billy M. Rhodes
sunip
Mnhthu99
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Empty Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto

Post  Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:55 am

I january I was in Kyoto.
I went to see the Gafu-ten, the biggest shohin-show in Japan....No need to say the trees, pots and displays was awesome...Sorry, I can not post a picture.

I was staying close to the famous suiseki river Kamogawa, and I cant help, not to take a closer look at the stones, if I can, and it is not illigal.

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Img_7010

The river looks like this inbetween. This is not the place I went stonesearching, there was too much grass, and it was a island.
I found a small place, only few squaremeters long, and wide, with a connection to the "shore".
Here I found 5 stones....very owervelming.

I went dawn to the stones one more place that day. A japanese man allready was there fishing. So, to me it was no problem to go there..here I found 3 stones.

The next morning I took the train, and went up to the northern part of Kyoto. here the two rivers Kamo and Takano meet, and become Kamo. I thought here had to be some stoneaction Smile

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Img_7011

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Img_7012

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Img_7013

I was owerwelmet when I saw this area.....How would I be able to take all theese lovely stones, I was about to find, home in my allready heavy suitcase Shocked

It was no problem at all.....The area was clompleetely emtied, offcourse Smile, this is Japan and the Kamogawa.
I saw signs of stones, that had been turned, and so on, just like "my" beach at home.

My guess is, I was more than lucky to find two places further dawn south, were stonecollecters had not gone, maybe because the areas was too small...who knows.

I will post photos of the stones next.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Empty Re: Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto

Post  Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:09 am

On the first little place I found this jasperstone. It is 10.5 cm. tall, and weights about 1 kilo. A nice sice for a handy suiseki.
It was in the water, and I allmost dropped in, when I reached for it Smile .

I see a little japanese lady sitting in her ( winter)-kimono.

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Geisha12
front

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Geisha13
side

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Geisha14
back

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Geisha14
side

I look forward to give this hard stone rubbing-polish through the next many years.

My plan for now, is to make a pillow for the display....later will I ( if I am skilled enough) copy the pillow in hardwood.

Hope you like it.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Empty Re: Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto

Post  Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:15 am

Wrong last Photo, sorry

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Geisha16

Back to top Go down

Post  Mnhthu99 Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:17 pm

You really privileged to tomorrow where there are many rocks, pieces of stone you look very lovely post, where I only have d16t only. Thanks for sharing Matt.
Mnhthu99
Mnhthu99

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:26 pm

[quote="Yvonne Graubaek"]
I see a little japanese lady sitting in her ( winter)-kimono.
Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Geisha12
front[
I look forward to give this hard stone rubbing-polish through the next many years.
My plan for now, is to make a pillow for the display....later will I ( if I am skilled enough) copy the pillow in hardwood.
Hope you like it.)
Hello Yvonne,
Lovely find.
After many years rubbing there will be one old lady holding an other old lady,
together aged in richness and wisdom.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:13 pm

Hi Matt
Yes, I was very lucky the stone/stones was not allready taken.

Hi Sunip
Let's hope so...a future like this, will be nice to look forward to..

Kind regards Yvonne Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:30 pm

And to think I was in Kyoto for five days in Nov. and walked across this river almost every day, didn't collect a single stone.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:09 pm

Hi Billy

Maybe next time you will think diffrent Smile

I notished, that in the area, I found my stones, was the river not wild in one side....I could see the waterlevel was fairly low, and there was millions of stones looking at me.
I would maybe be crazy enough to take off my shoes, and jump in the water, in a very early morning, if I go to Kyoto in the summer, were the water hopefully will be less cold.

In a rapid stream, I found this very nice dark gray stone.
The skin was new, but the stone takes rubbing very well. The stone is sadly only 11.5 cm long. Had it been twice the sice, had it been beon awesome.

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Riverf10
front

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Rivers10
side

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Riverb10
back

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Rivers11
side

As you can see, is the stone made from two diffrent sorts of stone...the elegant "wing"-patern is made from stone, that does not take polish. Most of the stones I found is blendstones. This one is with the smallest amount of pale gray. I expect the other stones must go in the garden for some years.

Does anyone know, what really is to do about the pale Kamogawastones.

I show you more stones, one another day.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Hello Yvonne,
The front gives me the impression of a sleeping dark goose,
head on here back.
At the same time it has the quality of a mountain stone.
The size is fine i think, (hand stone) but the intended use of it comes in here.
Maybe some time outdoors would help to darken the pale parts of the stone as well?
regards, Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:58 am

This stone was found on a sand island.The stone is 15 cm. long, and 5 cm tall.
This is also a stone made of two kinds of stone. And opposite the previus stone, is this stone a mainly gray kind ( not the same as the previus), and you kan see it has only very little of the kind of stone, that gloss well on the top.

It was found, with what is now the buttom up. It is easy to see, that some yoseki has gone on here. The buttom is clearly more darker blue, and the pores are more open.Also is the stone very dark gray, when weat
This is good news for the future.

front
Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Kamoga12

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Kamoga11
buttom

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:24 pm

Hello Yvonne,
Please show us from time to time, the progress in the coming years.
Nice to see how a stone is unveiling it self true time and care.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:57 pm

Thank-you for sharing and taking us along on your trip. the middle stone pictured is the one that I like. My trips to japan were always in niigata prefecture, but streams look is very similar. here at home, our streams are full of storm water. I keep telling myself that all the water height and strength will turn up new treasures this summer.
It helps me get by when i can't go out....Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:45 pm

I am always worried about weight. Both for the sake of airline limits and that I have to handle my own luggage.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:53 pm

Well Billy,

I read you are 69,
when i was 9 i had to worry about my trousers keeping on my hips (where not much)
because of the stones i tried to hold in my pockets while going on walks with my parents.
Well not much changed by now if i think of it, my wife and children are complaining like my parents then.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:14 pm

Hi Sunip

Progress of all stones, will be nice to show...and to recive from other stonelovers on this forum.

Suiseki is an ongoing progress, and I am planing to leave close to all my suiseki in the garden, at least in the frostfree periode. In the winter will many be placed in their daizas, and have the rubbing treatment...and being appreciated as suiseki.
I have had some suiseki for about 8 or 9 years, they will in the future go in the garden in the summer. If nothing happens, is it ok. but if they become better, will I feel a bit like a winner.

Only a coupple of "finished" suiseki will stay indoor, this is stones who only need rubbing.

Sunip...have you tried a belt? Smile

Hi Bill

I allways bring a lightweight weight. It is never a problem to have stones in the suitcase.

I Denmark was I one time asked questions about a stone in my handluggage, they considered it to be a weapon ( stoneage Very Happy).
I showed them a picture, and told them it was for a exhibit. They let me keep it.

Hi Dick

After every storm is some of the beaches I visit brandnew....go for the stones Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Young Doan Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:18 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Billy

Maybe next time you will think diffrent Smile

I notished, that in the area, I found my stones, was the river not wild in one side....I could see the waterlevel was fairly low, and there was millions of stones looking at me.
I would maybe be crazy enough to take off my shoes, and jump in the water, in a very early morning, if I go to Kyoto in the summer, were the water hopefully will be less cold.

In a rapid stream, I found this very nice dark gray stone.
The skin was new, but the stone takes rubbing very well. The stone is sadly only 11.5 cm long. Had it been twice the sice, had it been beon awesome.

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Riverf10
front

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Rivers10
side

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Riverb10
back

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Rivers11
side

As you can see, is the stone made from two diffrent sorts of stone...the elegant "wing"-patern is made from stone, that does not take polish. Most of the stones I found is blendstones. This one is with the smallest amount of pale gray. I expect the other stones must go in the garden for some years.

Does anyone know, what really is to do about the pale Kamogawastones.

I show you more stones, one another day.

Kind regards Yvonne

Hi Yvonne.
Thank you for your post /plateal stone
read all you said// jump in the water, in a very early morning you are so passion of stone
I Suiseki kichi thumbs up
Best
Young

Young Doan

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:25 pm

[quote="Yvonne Graubaek"]Hi Sunip
Sunip...have you tried a belt? Smile

Hello Yvonne,
No, but i have a small rucksack for these occasions these days.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:31 am

This lava stone was also found on the sandisland...as I took up a stone for inspection, could I see this lava underneath.
It is 13 x 8 x 7.5cm.
I hope to find the time to carve a daiza in the spring.

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Lavafr10

This is the chosen front, as it comes towards the viewer.

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Lavasi10

frontside

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Lavaba10

Back

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Lavaba11

Backside

I hope you like the stone Smile .

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:08 am

Hello Yvonne.
Love to see this one after some more cleaning and yoseki.
I see already a nice rock on a daiza coming.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi Sunip

The stone is all cleaned...it just need a coupple of years in the garden.

Yes, it will become a nice little suiseki.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:16 pm

I have made a pillow for the little lady.
It is not good enough, I have to make a better one......But what do you think of the collour of the old silk I used. Should I try with this again?. Or?
I want to keep it feminin....

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Kamoga13

After having rubbed the stone a LOT, did I suddenly find a face. I even think I see more diffrent faces/expressions....
When I first found the stone, I only saw the head Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:01 am

[quote="Yvonne Graubaek"]I have made a pillow for the little lady.
It is not good enough, I have to make a better one......But what do you think of the collour of the old silk I used. Should I try with this again?. Or?
I want to keep it feminin....
Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Kamoga13
Hello Yvonne,
Lovely idea this pillow.
The color is fine it think, i would try to make the pillow more tight.
Maybe also a silk with not to much pattern.(maybe more regular like the tatami?)
The inner part of Japanese dolls are made of wood, or these days of hard foam.
Maybe this is an idea to use as a filling for the pillow.
You can form the foam to fit the stone and control the folding of the silk of the pillow.
To make the whole not to tight you could use a soft fleece between the foam and the silk?
Love the feminine touch to it.
regards, Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:16 am

Hi Sunip

What a brilliant idea Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I will start thinking ....

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:04 pm

Hi Sunip

You made me think out of the box today....I am not really into foam, and if I know you, as I think I do, are you thinking the same.
The first pillow I made was impossible, because the stone is flat and wide, and sand would not fill out the space in the rim very well, but stay underneath. Therefor I had to make it thick, to give the stone the rest, if I wanted to use silk.

After heavy thinking today, did I come up with this constuction....It had to be flat, to keep the stone low, and the rim had to be able to fill out by it self, without the use of sand.

This fat felt-pillow, is made, like a hatbuilder would do it. I think she has a warm blanket to sit on now, and not really a pretty pillow.....The warm blanket is a nice idea for the old lady, as the ryokan I stayed in, this january, was freezing cold, and reminds me of the days in Kyoto.

The felt was pale, as I started the work, but I dyed it later in a darker collour. What do you guys think of this?. should I use a diffrent collour to begin with, before dying?. I am thinking on a darker green, and give it a little patina ......
Should I carve a wooden daiza?

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Sadedi10

Here she is placed on a kind if tatamimat

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Sadedi10

Sorry if the photos is not high quality, I can do better in daylight Embarassed

Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Filtsa10

Kind regards Yvonne....this should be the right photo

Back to top Go down

Post  peterbrod Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:47 pm

sunny [Stones I found in the Kamogawa, Kyoto Filtsa10
peterbrod
peterbrod

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next