Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Design Challenge - Sageretia theezans, Chinese Sweet Plum

+8
CraftyTanuki
Jesse
marcus watts
Pavel Slovák
Sam Ogranaja
Robert Steven
Todd Ellis
Rob Kempinski
12 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Design Challenge - Sageretia theezans, Chinese Sweet Plum - Page 2 Empty Re: Design Challenge - Sageretia theezans, Chinese Sweet Plum

Post  Guest Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:36 pm

"Hey Jun. don' use my visit for excuse"---by Robert Steven, bonsai master.....
Evil or Very Mad Razz

...don't worry I'll give you enough time to solve the puzzle of Rob Sleep .harharhar. Sleep

Back to top Go down

Design Challenge - Sageretia theezans, Chinese Sweet Plum - Page 2 Empty Re: Design Challenge - Sageretia theezans, Chinese Sweet Plum

Post  marcus watts Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:10 pm

jun wrote:"Hey Jun. don' use my visit for excuse"---by Robert Steven, bonsai master.....
Evil or Very Mad Razz

...don't worry I'll give you enough time to solve the puzzle of Rob Sleep .harharhar. Sleep

robert and i are letting the roots grow more Jun Very Happy Very Happy

(especially as your first sketch cut most of the healthy ones off !! Laughing Laughing Laughing)

this tree is sleeping tiger/hidden dragon cheers

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:20 pm

marcus watts wrote:
jun wrote:"Hey Jun. don' use my visit for excuse"---by Robert Steven, bonsai master.....
Evil or Very Mad Razz

robert and i are letting the roots grow more Jun Very Happy Very Happy

(especially as your first sketch cut most of the healthy ones off !! Laughing Laughing Laughing)

this tree is sleeping tiger/hidden dragon cheers

Marcus,

Cool name but I think Tony T. already grabbed Sleeping Tiger for an old Yew, now in Italy if I recall properly. If not, I like the name, but if taken, I have a back up name in mind.

There are some pretty good other designs out there too. Remember it buds back well so everything could be cut off. Question
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:41 pm

here we go.

it is worth remembering the new growth will stay thin and twig like for ages, so I'm using the existing thicker branches as trunks.

To get the main trunk for the design: as there are roots in two areas I have cut the material in half - then the left hand part with most roots is moved to the right and planted more upright, as tight as possible to the raft section, the raft section then has the lesser trunks trained from a few of the better placed bits, the rest is pruned out. I would extend one growth tip to continue the raft and taper it down to the soil.

I would rough carve hollows from branches that are removed along the main raft trunk but i wouldnt have dead wood on any of the rising trunks as it would be unnatural with the healthy canopy.

Design Challenge - Sageretia theezans, Chinese Sweet Plum - Page 2 Raft

here is my version using the trunks cut from the original pictures with virt foliage

cheers Marcus

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Pavel Slovák Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:46 pm

Hi Rob
Only idea. Very Happy

Gretings Pavel

Design Challenge - Sageretia theezans, Chinese Sweet Plum - Page 2 12110
Pavel Slovák
Pavel Slovák

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:48 pm

Any updates busy folks? hehehe Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:02 pm

jun wrote:Any updates busy folks? hehehe Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep

Jun, you inspired me to get a drawing book last night. Maybe I can learn to draw half as good as you and Robert, and I'd be set. Practice makes perfect, right?

Have a great week!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:12 pm

Sam Ogranaja wrote:
jun wrote:Any updates busy folks? hehehe Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep Sleep

Jun, you inspired me to get a drawing book last night. Maybe I can learn to draw half as good as you and Robert, and I'd be set. Practice makes perfect, right?

Have a great week!!!
Sam

...You know Sam what I do. I placed the sketch pad on top of my bright laptop monitor and traced the image/ tree material onto it (be sure not to puncture your monitor with your sharp pencil). and from there I will try to draw the possible ideas. The trunk line is the biggest clue that you'll ever need to proceed with the next step. You can adjust the angle of the trunk, then I will erase the unnecessary branches from the pencil traced image and form the ideal branches for the trunk, possibly in the areas where the shoots are.

Good luck Sam. No matter what your sketch looks like, it will be appreciated.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:10 pm

Pavel's design works well as is. It would also work well if you turned it 90 degrees clockwise. Once turned, it reminds me of a reclining deer.
Very Happy
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:09 am

I have got some idea, but I am still expecting to see the other side which is out from the pot. Rob, please.... bounce
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:34 am

Robert Steven wrote:I have got some idea, but I am still expecting to see the other side which is out from the pot. Rob, please.... bounce

if we get a new angle we'll need to do another design Robert ! Laughing

What i'm hoping is the tree will be styled into the winning design so we get to see the image and the tree side by side - that should become our unwritten 'law' when we get the design work done by ibc -(if the trees are never styled and shown again eventually people will lose interest doing styling virts & drawings which will be a great shame as this is becoming the most interesting part of the forum recently)

here are my last two - material = virt (cram )= initial styling

Design Challenge - Sageretia theezans, Chinese Sweet Plum - Page 2 Prog2

Design Challenge - Sageretia theezans, Chinese Sweet Plum - Page 2 Prog1

cheers, keep em coming,

Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:33 am

I don't really get your point, Marcus.. Rolling Eyes Wink
I just try to find the best option for this material... Laughing
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:56 pm

Robert Steven wrote:I have got some idea, but I am still expecting to see the other side which is out from the pot. Rob, please.... bounce
Sorry Robert not going to be possible as I wanted to get riid of the bad soil and don't want to disturb it again. However there are photos from the potential front and back and other angles posted already.

Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Jan 13, 2012 1:59 pm

OK then,.. Laughing
This will be my week-end homework...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:46 pm

number 3

Design Challenge - Sageretia theezans, Chinese Sweet Plum - Page 2 Dsc_2517

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:49 pm

Jun, you have hit me on my first idea..if you win, we should share the reward... pale
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:57 pm

Robert Steven wrote:Jun, you have hit me on my first idea..if you win, we should share the reward... pale

Sure Robert. mind reading is one of my secret talents Shocked

...I am still trying to decipher your other ideas hehehe...Next time you ask Rob for another angle I'll be there too. hehehe Wink Learning how the teacher thinks is one way of cheating Razz

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  CraftyTanuki Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:51 pm

jun wrote:
number 3

Design Challenge - Sageretia theezans, Chinese Sweet Plum - Page 2 Dsc_2517

bounce bounce bounce bounce bounce
CraftyTanuki
CraftyTanuki

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:23 pm

Well, seems I should be fast before Jun got to read my second mind... pale

I use one of the angel, then cut the other piece which also has root on it, to slip in between on the left side to fill the gap and enhance the focal point...and it comes.. Dance

(I should blame Jun for being too late to bed..over midnite here.. Sleep ) ..G'nite !

Design Challenge - Sageretia theezans, Chinese Sweet Plum - Page 2 1_copy10

Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:26 pm

Robert Steven wrote:Well, seems I should be fast before Jun got to read my second mind... pale

I use one of the angel, then cut the other piece which also has root on it, to slip in between on the left side to fill the gap and enhance the focal point...and it comes.. Dance

(I should blame Jun for being too late to bed..over midnite here.. Sleep ) ..G'nite !

Design Challenge - Sageretia theezans, Chinese Sweet Plum - Page 2 1_copy10

...Very nice Robert!
...I was about to do this other side last night Suspect but I was too sleepy to make another sketch. Lucky you! Razz I guess, older people stay late at night and got short period of rest needed...and it has it's own benefits as I have seen here. hehehe Evil or Very Mad

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:31 pm

Whatever you say, Jun..here another idea...

Design Challenge - Sageretia theezans, Chinese Sweet Plum - Page 2 12010
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:57 pm

Robert Steven wrote:Whatever you say, Jun..here another idea...

Design Challenge - Sageretia theezans, Chinese Sweet Plum - Page 2 12010

....Now I got to settle for second or third place! Is there a price for third placer Rob?...hehehe.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:11 pm

Additional question to You Rob and Robert.

Will this tree survive if the major roots were to be removed? like the solution provided by Robert and mine in my first sketch.

If it will survive, more design solutions will open up.

regards,
jun Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:19 pm

jun wrote:Additional question to You Rob and Robert.

Will this tree survive if the major roots were to be removed? like the solution provided by Robert and mine in my first sketch.

If it will survive, more design solutions will open up.

regards,
jun Smile

I think so Jun, because both of my designs still keep the main roots system...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:10 pm

here's one sat up that looks ok

Design Challenge - Sageretia theezans, Chinese Sweet Plum - Page 2 Final1

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next