Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragon's Annual society show.

+11
bonsai monkey
Ian Warhurst
Morea
Lee Kennedy
Nik Rozman
chris
AlainK
Stone Monkey
Chris Cochrane
fiona
Jeremy
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dragon's Annual society show. - Page 2 Empty Dragon Show

Post  chris Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:38 pm

Hi its Chris, Bob has not got internet at the moment so he has asked me to write this for him.
Thanks to Nik, Morea and Jo for the kind comments I had no idea the landscape was to be shown at the game fair Dragon Bonsai show as I was on holiday at the time. It was only when I phoned Chris to see how things were going that he gave me the good news I was relly pleased.
There is a little story behind this tree and it goes like this,I first saw it at a club trip to John Hanby's bonsai nursery, I liked the look of the tree and knew that I could do somthing with it so I bought it,this was in 2007. After reworking the tree into a more compact design removing some branches then rewiring the ones that were left to match the new planting angle,I made some jins and created a shari right down the trunk and planted it as it is today. I was encoraged by close friends to have it considered for the forthcoming NEWSTEAD SHOW 2008. In the entry form for the show I had to state the origin of the material ie John Hanby,olso the pot slab which was made by John Pitt etc etc.
I was more than pleased to have it selected, as I was then able to represent it to the place of purchase I receved many rewarding comments for it but the iceing on the cake for me was when the previous owner and his good wife came up to congradulate me on the complete transformation of the tree, not beleving it was the same tree they loved it. That is a really good feeling that no one can take away.
Regards
Bob Hill Dragon Bonsai
chris
chris

Back to top Go down

Dragon's Annual society show. - Page 2 Empty Re: Dragon's Annual society show.

Post  JimLewis Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:54 pm

I especially like the setting and backdrop to the show. So much better than the cloth drapes we see at so many shows. It seems to be display wide; was that something the club sponsors built, or was it a requirement that each exhibitor/club provide that kind of backdrop?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Dragon's Annual society show. - Page 2 Empty Dragon's Back drops

Post  Jeremy Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:39 pm

I especially like the setting and backdrop to the show. So much better than the cloth drapes we see at so many shows. It seems to be display wide; was that something the club sponsors built, or was it a requirement that each exhibitor/club provide that kind of backdrop?

Hi Jim,
Thank you.
These are Dragon's own back drops we use at all our shows.
This time it was our annual society show a the Game fair in Carmarthenshire.
The window frame style can sometimes with some trees be a little distracting with the verticals and horozontal lines.
With Bob's great landscape cedar it works very well.
Over the last few years Bob has presented this display to great effect at many shows, including among others, the 3rd Newstead show, Swindon's winter show, the Best of British show and now our society annual show.
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:45 pm

Bob - thanks for the insight via Chris into how you developed an existing tree. A good response to what could so easily have been interpreted (though hopefully not intended) as a pretty unkind comment, it highlights the whole debate about what happens when you buy a tree and then exhibit it under your own name. It seems clear to me that this had become "your" tree and the fact that you openly acknowledge the work done by the original designer/artist is to your credit. (I notice Lee did the same in his post re the twin-trunk juniper - and that is to his credit.) We seem to be a bit stuffy over here in the UK about "bought trees" to the point that some people will claim it as "cheating" or even, if they are extremely vehement in this viewpoint, something akin to fraud. I believe that the minute I pay up the bucks for the tree it becomes mine and it will be exhibited in my name. As a piece of living art, the tree will have moved on since its previous owner, and at the very least I will have maintained it and trimmed it. In some cases I will have completely restyled it. Whichever way around it still has my hand in it. On some occasions I will do little other than maintain the tree in the style I got it - that is usually because I liked that style. I have a Buxus created by Dan Barton which will not change much because I like it that way. I will always acknowledge it as having been created by Dan (recognisably so) but it has had two years of work by me so it is my tree. I have other trees that I have altered with the help of others and I will acknowledge them as having been worked by me with the (sometimes considerable) assistance of Steve T or Mr Tickle or that Italian bloke or whoever. Still my tree though. I believe we all bring our individual touch to our trees irrespective of their origin. We are not all great artists and creators - some of us have to settle for being refiners. But the minute I do something to that tree, it becomes mine in a greater sense than merely ownership.

There will be those who disagree.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:50 pm

Morea"
Jerry,
Now i try and imagen how You look with a beard.
Imagine no more. affraid
In praise of beards.
Dragon's Annual society show. - Page 2 In_pra11

Morea wrote:Dragonboyzzz ,
if all goes well, i will visit Wales for holiday in July/Aug.
And YES ,i will visit YOU ALL !!!!!
Kind regards
Morea

Are things going well? Hope you can make it.
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Morea Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:44 pm

Dear Jerry

Thank You for the picture !!!!
You look soooooo Italian , gorgeous !!!

I was just 20 miles away from You and Chris ,
but it was the wrong time , such a very big pitty Crying or Very sad

When i was at wild Llangollen , Kev taught me to say "F" with spit and just say something
like "gothlan" singing mumbly , then all Welsh know were that is !! Laughing
I did visit Kev , his beautiful garden on the hill and it was so inspiring Kev !!
Thank You so much for being Your guest !

When i was at the Welsh coast , Chris knows were !
Abersywyth Laughing ....spitting , singing , mumbling .
I phoned Chris , he was in Brighton , You where in London and Brighton , both back on
the monday , i could not make it , my boat sailed on wednesday morning to Calais Crying or Very sad

Jerry , i had some presents with me for Chris's birthday , You and the Drag0nboyzzzzzz.
But i lost the adress , with satnaf it was easy , just put in Bolwyn..??? gardens , but i dont
know the rest anymore ...... "all got lost in translation" Embarassed Very Happy
Could You please send me so i can sent You by post.

Had some good and bad times .
Now have to wear glasses when i read or write.
Meds. are cut down a lot and i am stabilyzing until end aug.
Hands and arms feel much better and yesterday started to play a bit with clay again !!!
I wanted to visit You all so very very much ...... aaaarrrgggg.
Many kind regards
Morea
Morea
Morea

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:56 pm

Hey Jerry the beard looks good. DO I see a touch of Ringo Starr There? Question Very Happy
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:39 am

Morea,
I am sorry we missed you. Sad
Hope you are well.
Morea wrote:
I had some presents with me for Chris's birthday , You and the Drag0nboyzzzzzz.
But i lost the address , with satnaf it was easy , just put in Bolwyn..??? gardens , but i dont
know the rest anymore ...... "all got lost in translation" Embarassed Very Happy
Could You please send me so i can sent You by post
Chris's address is:
- Bonllwyn Aquatics
120 Llandybie Road
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
SA18 2EE
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:47 am

Rob Kempinski wrote:Hey Jerry the beard looks good. DO I see a touch of Ringo Starr There? Question Very Happy
Not sure how to take that. scratch
I was kinda aimming for Kris Kristofferson. No Evil or Very Mad Embarassed
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:31 am

Rob Kempinski wrote:Hey Jerry the beard looks good. DO I see a touch of Ringo Starr There? Question Very Happy
Who is Ringo Starr? scratch .... Ah yes.... He is the voice of 'Thomas the Tank Engine'

Jerry... you look like a Bond Villain... "No Mr Tickle I expect you to die!" Suspect

Back to top Go down

Dragon's Annual society show. - Page 2 Empty mini me

Post  Jeremy Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:02 am

Hi Tony,
I was going for an Austin Power's type villian. Cool
007's villains all seem to die horrible. affraid
What do you think, a new mini me? Twisted Evil Wink
Dragon's Annual society show. - Page 2 Mini_m10
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:08 am

Jeremy wrote:I was going for an Austin Power's type villian.
Hmmm. I see what you mean. But the beard rather takes away from the Dr Evil look now.

Dragon's Annual society show. - Page 2 Dr_evi12

Still can't get used to this Jeremy thing tho'.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Dragon's Annual society show. - Page 2 Empty Keeping it real

Post  Jeremy Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:30 am

Re: Individual Commentary n the Bonsai of Others.
Kev Bailey
I say stick to your real name. It is part of what makes this a "real" place. We know you from your delightful avatar, as well as your name.
Fiona,
I took it to heart and made that change. Very Happy Uro has left the building. Laughing
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Dragon's Annual society show. - Page 2 Empty Holiday picture

Post  Jeremy Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:36 am

fionnghal wrote:
Jeremy wrote:I was going for an Austin Power's type villian.
Hmmm. I see what you mean. But the beard rather takes away from the Dr Evil look now.

Dragon's Annual society show. - Page 2 Dr_evi12
It's not uncommon for Evil genius's to forget to shave while on holiday. So when Mrs Evil genius liked it, the beard was kept.
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:22 pm

Jeremy wrote:What do you think, a new mini me?
I DID do a good matching job don't you think? .... and it IS funny bounce

Back to top Go down

Dragon's Annual society show. - Page 2 Empty absit iniuria verbis - "no offense"

Post  Jeremy Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:49 pm

I DID do a good matching job don't you think? .... and it IS funny
Evil or Very Mad Suspect Evil or Very Mad
No No No pirat

acta est fabula plaudite. Caesar Augustus' last words and the play has been performed; applaud! Twisted Evil cheers Wink
Jeremy
Jeremy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2