Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chop mark pot ID help needed

4 posters

Go down

Chop mark pot ID help needed Empty Chop mark pot ID help needed

Post  Poink88 Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:25 pm

Can anyone help me ID this chop mark? I am told it is probably rotated but I really cannot tell which side is up Embarassed

Chop mark pot ID help needed ChopMark-4

I checked here http://www.tokoname.or.jp/bonsai/catalog/maker-e.htm but cannot seem to find a match...either that or I am just missing it.

I also have some pots I managed to ID as Sankyou but cannot find much info about them online. Are they descent pots?

Thank you.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Chop mark pot ID help needed Empty Re: Chop mark pot ID help needed

Post  Ryan B Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:58 pm

Looks to me to be Kaiyou, although not a stamp I've seen before. At any rate it's one of the mass market production kilns from Tokoname, as is Sankyou. They're not bad pots, frost proof, high fired Ect, but not so much show quality or worth anything. They retail at 10-40$, depending on size.
Ryan
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/

Last edited by Ryan B on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot sig)

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks!

I got 10 of them (used locally through Craigslist) for around $15 each and most are 8"-14" big. I am very happy with my purchase.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:53 pm

I would be too! Let's see some...

Ryan, are you sure that's Kaiyo? It's nothing like what's in the Tokoname catalog.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Russell Coker wrote:
I would be too! Let's see some...

I will try take and post pics later.

I also got from the same vendor a 5 piece Masakuni bonsai tool set (concave cutter, tweezer, trimming shear, long handle trimming shears, and light duty wire cutter with case) all for $100.00. Very Happy
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilDellinger Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:03 am

$100 is the deal of the century for set of 2 masakuni tools. But all of that, count your blessings and go do something nice for someone else so you can stay in the good graces of karma. Very Happy

Nice find!

NeilDellinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan B Fri Dec 23, 2011 2:51 am

As I said, looks like Kaiyou. Flip it 90degrees right. While the lower right character is in a different style, it looks to be the same character, and the other three are a spot on match in both style and character. I wouldn't swear to it though! There's a whole bunch of makers and kilns from the Tokoname region that produce those mass market pots, many arent listed in the catalog anymore, most often they're sold simply as "Tokoname," and this is the principal reason, I think, that so many enthusiasts are disgruntled about Tokoname. Sure, you can get cheapo pots from Tokoname, but Excellence as well. I tried to tell one eBay seller(Im sure you've seen the multiple listings relisted over and over) that they'd sell more pots if they listed them by maker, rather than just "Tokoname", but no luck, so they get relisted over and over again.
Sorry to hijack...its a bit of a sore spot with me!
Ryan
http://japanesebonsaipots.net/

100$ Masakuni tools! Holy crap!!!

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:27 am

I know who you mean. They also get relisted over and over again because they are very expensive. Nice pots and all that, but does he want to actually sell them or what?

Yep, that's a deal on Masakuni tools!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan B Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:04 am

They're definitely Retail Priced. I think it's clear the guy bought the pots a while ago and is trying to take advantage of the shite dollar to Yen exchange! I offered him something like 15$ less on a 120$ pot and got shot down! Somebody doesn't pay much attention to Japanese sellers also listing on eBay!

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down