Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

live in san fransisco

+2
JimLewis
mtrddog
6 posters

Go down

live in san fransisco  Empty live in san fransisco

Post  mtrddog Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:09 pm

I have been into Orchids and now just want to expand , I have always wanted to get into Bonsai trees my problem right now is that I don't really know what kind to buy , the Satsuki Azalea is one of the ones I have been thinking about , now in question is they would be outside but i my porch/deck, it is a shady but not dark area it does get sunlight but its not super bright , so what can I grow in this area thanks

mtrddog

Back to top Go down

live in san fransisco  Empty Re: live in san fransisco

Post  JimLewis Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:34 pm

Satsuki do OK in part shade. They are a somewhat tricky and expensive plant to try for your first bonsai, though. If you want a flowering bonsai, I'd suggest a cotoneaster for that area.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  mojojava Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:19 pm

Congrats on your new interest. Bonsai is certainly challenging but also very rewarding. I would assume with the green thumb required to deal with orchids, you will have no problem with bonsai given the same basic patience.

Some good "starter" trees that come to mind include trident maple, Chinese elm, bald cypress, and maybe larch depending on the species. By "starter" I just mean that they are very tolerate of a variety of conditions and environments, as well as respond fairly well to basic bonsai techniques. By no means can these examples not be cultivated into a true specimen however they will definitely put up with a novice learning the trade.

Other than those I would suggest as a beginner to try to select species that are native to your area. Im sure a quick internet search would give you a decent list of candidates as would a trip to a local nursery. one that comes to mind being redwood. I would expect dawn redwood which is very similar to bald cypress in care would thrive in san francisco area. Coast redwood would as well however cultivation techniques are a little different and I would be afraid the coast redwood would put up a fight to be contained in a bonsai pot. LOL

Good luck and keep us posted on where you go.
Cheers
Blake
mojojava
mojojava

Back to top Go down

live in san fransisco  Empty Live in San Francisco

Post  bonsaisr Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:09 pm

mtrddog wrote:I have been into Orchids and now just want to expand , I have always wanted to get into Bonsai trees
Oh, you poor thing. Sad affraid That is my sad story. The orchids and bonsai have been dueling in my plant room for twenty years. Eventually one or the other will win out.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:12 am

mtrddog wrote:I have been into Orchids and now just want to expand

Oh yes...thats how it starts.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

live in san fransisco  Empty Your local Bonsai Society

Post  Robert Taylor Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:43 pm

I attended a meeting of the San Francisco Bonsai once in 2004 while is was visiting my daughter and found a great group there that I'm sure can help you.
Happy Holidays,

Rob

http://www.bssf.org/category/meetings/

BSSF General meetings are on the second Thursday of the month at 7:30pm. The members’ workshop is the following Thursday, 3rd Thursday of the month at 7pm. BSSF Board meetings are held on the Fourth Monday at 7pm. All of the meetings occur in the Hall of Flowers (Strybing Arboretum) at the corner of Ninth Ave and Lincoln Way. Enter through the parking lot at Tenth Ave and Lincoln and walk along the south side of the building to the club room.

Robert Taylor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down