Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

chlorosis in trident maples

4 posters

Go down

chlorosis in trident maples Empty chlorosis in trident maples

Post  NeilD3 Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:33 am

Anyone ever had experience correcting iron chlorosis in tridents? I am a little worried due to heat stress likely hood..Tulsa is getting mid 90's now and it will just get hotter. It's not a BAD BAD case, but I need to correct it before it gets worse.

Looking for some recomendations and real life experience.

Info:
-Soil ph neutral: equal 1/3's pumice, lava, haydite/turface
-water ph neutral
-Both trees have pushed alot of growth so far this year and have been cut back and wired a couple of times.
-Due to the fast draining soil, I've likely erred on the side of watering too much.
-I was feeding about every 10 days to 2 weeks and have had homemade cakes on them (cottonseed, bonemeal, seaweed paste).

What I've done to correct starting today:
-I have removed the homemade cakes and replaced with what I have left of my biogold, thought the bonemeal COULD be causing an issue.
-I've moved to a bit shadier location, will be more diligent about watering needs.
-This morning I did a foliar feed and root drench today with miracle grow for roses (micronutrients iron & manganese 18-24-16). I will do again in 7 days. Is there something better to use?? Miracid??

Thanks for the input.
Neil

NeilD3

Back to top Go down

chlorosis in trident maples Empty Re: chlorosis in trident maples

Post  JimLewis Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:07 pm

Chlorosis is caused by the lack of some of the micronutrients. Bone meal, coton seed, et. all, have few if any micronutrients. I'm unsure what bioGold has but I don't think it has many.

If it is just beginning to show symptoms, a regular feeding with Miracle-Gro shold get you back on the right track, as it has all the minor elements (micronutrients).
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilD3 Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:37 pm

Jim,
Thanks for the response. Just started today with one initial shot of miracid, will be getting back to my weekly dose of balanced feed.

Funny how it just hit fairly quickly.

Thanks,
Neil

NeilD3

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:53 pm

Don't worry about it unduly. Get the feed and drainage right and you shouldn't have any deeper problem. I've overcome almost every problem of Tridents with ease, apart from freezing of the roots!
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  NeilD3 Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:17 pm

Thanks Kev. I appreciate the input.

I think as you, Jim and my bonsai teacher pointed out, it is mostly a feed issue. As it's been getting warmer my watering frequency is increasing and I think removing the nutrients much much more quickly. Funny, I have a few thousand a. palmatum seedlings in large tubs, no organic matter at all, I feed every 10 days or so and water daily very deeply. I have seen no chlorosis at all. In fact they are this years seeds and many are 12 inches tall already.

Question:
Has anyone ever tried giving trace amounts of feed at every watering? I know some production nurseries do this. Just wondering if anyone has had experience of their own with bonsai.[u]

Thoughts on this anyone?

NeilD3

Back to top Go down

chlorosis in trident maples Empty chlorosis in amur maple

Post  elroy Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:55 pm

I had chlorosis in a number of amur maples. Two doses of chelated iron watered over the foliage and soil fixed the problem.

Elroy

elroy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down