Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rare Fall Color

+11
drgonzo
moyogijohn
coh
marcus watts
Andrei Darusenkov
Russell Coker
Sam Ogranaja
Lukasz Czarnecki
bigbabol
Zach Smith
Rob Kempinski
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rare Fall Color Empty Rare Fall Color

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:26 am

For some reason my Chinese Elm has decent fall color this year. Most of my other elms just seemed to have lost their leaves .

Pot by Nick Lenz.

Rare Fall Color Img_1518
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Rare Fall Color Empty Re: Rare Fall Color

Post  Zach Smith Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:00 am

That's a fine elm, Rob. Nice work. Looks like you get about as much fall color as I do.

Zach

Zach Smith

Back to top Go down

Post  bigbabol Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:42 pm

thanks Rob for sharing
a real natural tree, I love this style
regards
bigbabol
bigbabol
bigbabol

Back to top Go down

Post  Lukasz Czarnecki Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:42 pm

I love it Rob Smile

Its my favourite elm Smile
Lukasz Czarnecki
Lukasz Czarnecki

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:10 pm

Great tree Rob!!!!

Have a great week!!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:51 pm

That's a beautiful Tree! I hope you'll post some pics of it nekkid.
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanks, Rob! Very impressive tree!

By the way, this year for the first time ever for some reason one of my chinese elms turned red this Fall. Normally they keep their leaves intact without any coloration all winter long (in the basement). It is no way near the perfection of your tree, however the color is striking! Smile Not to be taken as an attempt to steal your thread! Smile

Cheers,

Andrei
Rare Fall Color 111

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:17 pm

Andrei Darusenkov wrote:Thanks, Rob! Very impressive tree!

By the way, this year for the first time ever for some reason one of my chinese elms turned red this Fall. Normally they keep their leaves intact without any coloration all winter long (in the basement). It is no way near the perfection of your tree, however the color is striking! Smile Not to be taken as an attempt to steal your thread! Smile

Cheers,

Andrei
Rare Fall Color 111

Welcome aboard Andrei. US we say in the US, 'pile it on'. Laughing
Great color on your tree, wonder what caused that?
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:33 pm

the first elm is simply stunning - by far the best i've seen a picture of..........the red one is just ???wow, very unique, could be caused by the feeding or potting soil - out of 100's if not 1000's of elms i've never seen one go red. Grreat to see though, thanks
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:44 pm

marcus watts wrote:the red one is just ???wow, very unique, could be caused by the feeding or potting soil - out of 100's if not 1000's of elms i've never seen one go red.

Me neither, Marcus, that was the only reason I joined this thread. Actually, the tree had the same feeding and soil mix as everything else. With about 200 or so trees at various stages I only differentiate between acid lovers and other trees....Smile All other chinese elms are currently mostrly green or at best a bit yellowish... Smile

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:46 pm

The first elm is beautiful and has a very nice branch structure, but I can't stop thinking it would benefit from a little more irregularity in the foliage mass, especially the edges. It looks a little too "perfect" and manicured. Maybe that's just the photo or confusion from the background.

On Andrei's tree - are you sure that isn't a hawthorn masquerading as an elm? That's amazing color.

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:47 pm

coh wrote:The first elm is beautiful and has a very nice branch structure, but I can't stop thinking it would benefit from a little more irregularity in the foliage mass, especially the edges. It looks a little too "perfect" and manicured.

be fair - there are 7 leaves in a couple of places on the lower right side that are a little out of place Very Happy . I guess it depends on the other trees in a collection and the owners personal taste, but generally its very easy to get most trees to look irregular and it is far harder and takes a lot more patience and skill to create perfect and even branch structure - for me this is a briliant bonsai elm

regards Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrei Darusenkov Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:20 am

coh wrote:The first elm is beautiful and has a very nice branch structure, but I can't stop thinking it would benefit from a little more irregularity in the foliage mass, especially the edges. It looks a little too "perfect" and manicured. Maybe that's just the photo or confusion from the background.

On Andrei's tree - are you sure that isn't a hawthorn masquerading as an elm? That's amazing color.

Chris

Chris, life is full of surprises!Smile But this is chinese elm without a slightest doubt. Smile

Andrei Darusenkov

Back to top Go down

Rare Fall Color Empty Rare fall color

Post  moyogijohn Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:33 am

ROB,,,Ireally like this elm..the branching is so good !! the one posted below yours is also a nice tree,,never seen a elm with that color... you have done good shaping your tree...take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Rare Fall Color Empty Rare fall color

Post  moyogijohn Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:34 am

ROB,,,Ireally like this elm..the branching is so good !! the one posted below yours is also a nice tree,,never seen a elm with that color... you have done good shaping your tree...take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Rare Fall Color Empty Winter Update

Post  Rob Kempinski Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:12 pm

We had a cold snap last night so I brought in this Elm and did a bit of trim. It's starting to bud out so it will get repotted tonight or tomorrow. Just an update shot of it naked.

Rare Fall Color 2012_010

Tried a shot with some experimental lighting.
Rare Fall Color Shadow10
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:21 pm

I thought of this thread the other night when I went to check on my chi-elm in dormancy. I moved it to my unheated rental house while it still had many green leaves, it was slow to enter dormancy and slowed down even further once placed in my rental, yesterday (a month later) all the leaves were a lovely yellow. I wonder if better fall color is achieved with Chi-elms when the dormancy is allowed to set in slowly?

-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:47 pm

That is a beautiful tree Rob!!!! Glad your plants are safe.

Happy New Year!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:20 am

I know I was a little critical of the "perfect canopy" in an earlier post, but I have to say - this tree looks really good out of leaf! The overall branch structure (especially in the upper part of the tree) looks like something I could actually see in nature. Very well done...

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:52 am

I might actually steel that second picture with the backlighting and use it as my desktop background, I think thats a beautiful picture.

If you don't mind of course Rob.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  bucknbonsai Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:16 am

In terms of getting unusual fall color, I have a story. A couple years ago I inherited a large metal hoophouse that had thick white plastic, in october all of my maples were placed in it, quite soon all of them were bright red. About 2 months later the greenhouse was destroyed by a storm, and ever since my maples have had relatively ugly fall color. Does anyone know if the plastic could have caused that color, and do people ever use an artificial environment to stimulate good color before a bonsai show? we have the shows in the fall where im from.
bucknbonsai
bucknbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:06 pm

coh wrote:I know I was a little critical of the "perfect canopy" in an earlier post, but I have to say - this tree looks really good out of leaf! The overall branch structure (especially in the upper part of the tree) looks like something I could actually see in nature. Very well done...

Chris

Thanks Chris, the goal from fairly modest starting material was to mimic a mature (not ancient) tree living in a meadow somewhere.
I try to prune the tree to keep all the foliage near the periphery of the canopy - that also adds to the look of maturity - and let the branches take a fractal pattern.
Usually it's clip and grow for this guy (after the initial wiring) but this year, in addition to thinning the branches and I used a bit of wire to make the selective compression work a bit better.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:07 pm

drgonzo wrote:I might actually steel that second picture with the backlighting and use it as my desktop background, I think thats a beautiful picture.

If you don't mind of course Rob.
-Jay

Go for it Jay. Enjoy.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:16 pm

bucknbonsai wrote:In terms of getting unusual fall color, I have a story. A couple years ago I inherited a large metal hoophouse that had thick white plastic, in october all of my maples were placed in it, quite soon all of them were bright red. About 2 months later the greenhouse was destroyed by a storm, and ever since my maples have had relatively ugly fall color. Does anyone know if the plastic could have caused that color, and do people ever use an artificial environment to stimulate good color before a bonsai show? we have the shows in the fall where im from.

This USDA web page has this description http://www.na.fs.fed.us/fhp/pubs/leaves/leaves.shtm

"A succession of warm, sunny days and cool, crisp but not freezing nights seems to bring about the most spectacular color displays. During these days, lots of sugars are produced in the leaf but the cool nights and the gradual closing of veins going into the leaf prevent these sugars from moving out. These conditions-lots of sugar and lots of light-spur production of the brilliant anthocyanin pigments, which tint reds, purples, and crimson. Because carotenoids are always present in leaves, the yellow and gold colors remain fairly constant from year to year. "
So it sounds like placing them in a greenhouse would encourage this environment - try it again some time and see if it repeats.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:03 pm

I have learned that the intensity of autumn coloring for deciduous species in northern climates depends on many factors, sunlight, temperature, watering and fertilizer practices.

However, it's interesting to see that certain trees generally have identical autumn coloring throughout their lives, but this too can change.

Attached are photos of one of my Chinese elm, Ulmus parvifolia, group plantings. Note that individual trees consistently have the same autumn coloring throughout the years.

Bill

Rare Fall Color 1_200210

Rare Fall Color 3_200810

Last edited by William N. Valavanis on Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : 2006 photo was a duplicate of 2002, mislabeled.)
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next