Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another rant from Billy

+3
fiona
will baddeley
Billy M. Rhodes
7 posters

Go down

Another rant from Billy Empty Another rant from Billy

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:33 pm

Long threads.
Some of our threads run over 30 pages.
Please start a new thread under a similar name.
I know I can click on the last page from the forum page and get to the most recent items on the tread.
BUT
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Another rant from Billy Empty Another rant from Billy

Post  will baddeley Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:09 pm

Hello Billy. I personally like the continuation and progression of these longer threads and as you say, just go to the last page.
will baddeley
will baddeley

Back to top Go down

Another rant from Billy Empty Re: Another rant from Billy

Post  fiona Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:03 pm

Part of the problem with any thread no matter how short or long it may be, is that when people do only go to the last page they often repeat stuff that appeared on earlier pages. This either annoys other readers or results in the same things being said over and over.

I am, however, noting that only two threads have gone over 30 pages and a mere further 3 have gone to 20+ pages. But that is out of 7729 threads so it's not an excessive number. If you look at those longer ones they were mostly threads from potters showing the latest from their kiln or ones which specifically asked for members to contribute examples of a particular style (e.g. broom). I personally don't have a problem with those.

It's when we get to 30+ pages about superthrive or its like that I'll start getting worried. Wink
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:47 am

You do get a lot of repetition though in long threads. People fail to read the earlier posts -- or forget -- and say the same thing as someone else (or several someones) has said.

I've been guilty of this myself, but often the longer threads seem to have been caused by a hijacker.

JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:56 am

i think long threads that are made up of current posts are absolutely fine as they tend to be mostly relevant info, its the ones that were started many many months before hand and ran their natural course but then get a new post and bounce back that tend to then be full of repetition, or, as pointed out repetition. Laughing

i think to start a new topic just because a thread is getting longer is a mistake though as the long threads can be some of the better ones - if people just discovering it can be bothered to read the earlier pages that is, otherwise it leads to repetition Twisted Evil
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:56 am

Part of the problem with any thread no matter how short or long it may be, is that when people do only go to the last page they often repeat stuff that appeared on earlier pages. This either annoys other readers or results in the same things being said over and over.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:02 am

fiona wrote:Part of the problem with any thread no matter how short or long it may be, is that when people do only go to the last page they often repeat stuff that appeared on earlier pages. This either annoys other readers or results in the same things being said over and over.

Fiona now THAT is funny jocolor

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:12 pm

Fiona now THAT is funny jocolor

Last edited by fiona on Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:12 pm

but only for a very short time... Wink
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:55 am

Well, let's see if we can get this thread to 30 pages!
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  bumblebee Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:32 pm

Here's my contribution!

Libby Cool

bumblebee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content