Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RANT: (un)smileys

+10
John Quinn
Bugeye
Kev Bailey
my nellie
Stone Monkey
peewee1974
Hawaiian77
Smithy
ogie
JimLewis
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

RANT:  (un)smileys Empty RANT: (un)smileys

Post  JimLewis Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:35 pm

(Jim steps onto soapbox)

We seem to have become overly fond of "emoticons" (AKA "smileys") here lately.

They are used (OVERused - See: "Is this a bonsai") to point out someone's alleged humor, to "soften" an unfavorable comment, and inattempts to gloss over pure nastiness. Some folks seem to use them merely because they can -- after all, the site supplies a mass of them.

I'm sure I'll see replies filled with them now, just to annoy.

But they are trite (unoriginal), messy, and -- frankly -- childish. And, often, offensive.

I counted 2 dozen (!) in one message not long ago. That changes them from smileys to "obnoxities" in my book, and I've resolved to never use one again. Ever.

I could hope that most of you would join me in -- at least -- limiting the proliferation of the damned things.

(Jim steps off soapbox
)
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

RANT:  (un)smileys Empty Re: RANT: (un)smileys

Post  ogie Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:40 pm

Hi Jim..i will follow suit in your endeavour,Thanks for reminding us always in our weakness,
with high resprct,
Alex/Ogie
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Thu Oct 21, 2010 5:09 pm

When dealing with other human beings I like to respect the individual's right to their own style of communication. Each to their own.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:46 pm

Smithy wrote:When dealing with other human beings I like to respect the individual's right to their own style of communication. Each to their own.

I'm with Smithy..... My God!!! It's just a smiley face what's so bad about that. Give it a rest!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:03 pm

I do believe I predicted that message:
I'm sure I'll see replies filled with them now, just to annoy.

Just call me Nostradamus.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  peewee1974 Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:26 pm

I agree not to use smileys, but everyone to there own. Really one in a message is enough.
peewee1974
peewee1974

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:02 pm

Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Cool Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Embarassed Razz Mad Laughing Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink Exclamation Question Idea Idea Suspect Like a Star @ heaven What a Face Neutral Arrow No @ cyclops clown pirat tongue pig monkey cat alien pale silent rabbit bounce confused affraid Basketball sunny Sleep drunken bom cheers albino cherry santa rendeer farao scratch geek jocolor queen king study elephant flower lol! RANT:  (un)smileys 290456 ThumbsUp Dance thumbs up Confused flutter eyelashes Bagpiper

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:42 pm

I am also among those who use emoticons every now and then, but with all my respect to everyone and every good will I could summon, I really cannot understand these two posts full of emoticons....
What the man said is very simple:
JimLewis wrote: ... ... I could hope that most of you would join me in -- at least -- limiting the proliferation of the damned things.
... ...
You can keep using them, you are free not to limit their use, but what is the need to declare this "shouting"?
I cannot understand this kind of.... humour.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:52 pm

JimLewis wrote:(Jim steps onto soapbox)

But they are trite (unoriginal), messy, and -- frankly -- childish.

(Jim steps off soapbox
)

Alexandra, I think when someone decides to judge other people way of expression as childish they are going to get a reaction.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:00 pm

Smithy, is not this reaction childish? (I would like to use a smiling smiley here)
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:02 pm

my nellie wrote:Smithy, is not this reaction childish? (I would like to use a smiling smiley here)

That is not for me to judge.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:06 pm

Acceptable, yet distinct.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:56 pm

I'm staying out of this one. Wink
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:05 pm

Lighten up guys, there are worse things in the world happening than a few bloody smiley's. If you've only got the effect of a few smiley's on your personal demeanor to berate about then your a very fortunate person Wink

Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:18 pm

RANT:  (un)smileys Smiley10

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:29 pm

Morten Albek wrote:RANT:  (un)smileys Smiley10

Now this is much better,chowing tru it,makes me hungry,mmmm...your hillarious with a taste...Alex

Last edited by ogie on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugeye Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:47 pm

Crying or Very sad

Bugeye

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:45 am

Now, I'm hungry... Cool
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:08 pm

Lighten up Jim, for foreigners its easy to use a smiley to fx. let a english bonsai nerd know it was a joke.
I agree some times there are to many smileys in a post, but if one does not like it simply disregard them.

Kind regards
Peter

RANT:  (un)smileys Www_fr10

Last edited by landerloos on Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : insert biiiig smiley)
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:48 pm

Stone Monkey wrote: Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Cool Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Embarassed Razz Mad Laughing Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink Exclamation Question Idea Idea Suspect Like a Star @ heaven What a Face Neutral Arrow No @ cyclops clown pirat tongue pig monkey cat alien pale silent rabbit bounce confused affraid Basketball sunny Sleep drunken bom cheers albino cherry santa rendeer farao scratch geek jocolor queen king study elephant flower lol! RANT:  (un)smileys 290456 RANT:  (un)smileys 754636 RANT:  (un)smileys 369513 RANT:  (un)smileys 582674 RANT:  (un)smileys 290833 RANT:  (un)smileys 234578 RANT:  (un)smileys 51737

Regards

Andy

I bet you are SO proud of thinking of that all by yourself.

I feel vindicated.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:05 pm

I am really really proud, and it took me ages to think of Wink , opps should have left the smiley off, now that's gone and done it.

Jim

Just for clarity I am only joking no offence intended, I am sure you have took it the right way anyway

All the best

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:23 pm

Yeah. The IBC pot just needs stirring sometimes. I have other IBC soapboxes I cold leap upon, but later for that; some of those are more serious.

Now, on this subject, We (Royal, not collective) hereby give authorization to use a single appropriate graphical thingy per post, as deemed necessary. But Our wrath will fall upon anyone who opposes Us.

See: We colonials do appreciate royalty. <g>
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:30 pm

I didnt want to go into this thread, but I guess I just did.
Im slightly with everyone here. I can see the irritation that posts are full of those smileys. I dont like to use them much myself, but after some sentences I feel like I have to, so I dont get misunderstood. Sometimes you can explain what you feel/think just by reading the smiley. Instead of doing like me, and explaining everything with 20 sentences, and then creating a wall of text.
But I still think, this is up for the poster to think about. If they feel like they need 5 smileys after eachother, then go ahead. But people should also be able to tell their mind in a decent way, so others actually can think about how they write etc on a forum. I like criticism.
I dont know what other soapboxes you are thinking of Jim. I myself dont have any problems with this forum at all. Only thing is that I overanalyze everything. And thats something Im trying to change. I take general criticism as personal, and I know deep down its not always like that.
Its out of the blue, but I guess most of the irritation here goes to the bonsai questions departement. I know Im asking alot myself, about things that you most likely have answered 100 times. Like, how to water, prune etc. Or just keeping trees over the winter. But for me, I like the information you all give me better, who have alot of experience with this, and can also get many replies that we can talk about, instead of the old answer: Go read up on it sonny, and come back if you dont understand it. Thats the sort of answers that put people off asking. You wont believe it, but that includes me.
I feel that there are worse things than an overused emoticon in here, but I think its important that we let the man speak, and we will think about it. Then make up our minds if we wanna do something about it.

Wall of text over.
-Storm.
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Post  Smithy Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:40 pm

JimLewis wrote:Yeah. The IBC pot just needs stirring sometimes. I have other IBC soapboxes I cold leap upon, but later for that; some of those are more serious.

Now, on this subject, We (Royal, not collective) hereby give authorization to use a single appropriate graphical thingy per post, as deemed necessary. But Our wrath will fall upon anyone who opposes Us.

See: We colonials do appreciate royalty. <g>

Can you clarify that this is a joke, or is it that you are imposing your style of posts on the whole community.
Smithy
Smithy

Back to top Go down

Post  Hawaiian77 Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Howzit Storm,

Man, that was deep!! Good on you for speaking you mind!!

A Hui Hou,
-Tim Cool
Hawaiian77
Hawaiian77

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next