Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So Your Yamadori Died, Now What?

+9
fiona
jrodriguez
AK_Panama
JimLewis
Rob Kempinski
EdMerc
carlos
Ryan
mbolos
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? Empty So Your Yamadori Died, Now What?

Post  mbolos Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:38 am

Last year I lost this 70 year old yamadori..

So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? 1_210

I loved the trunk's movement, so I decided to strip the bark and make a tanuki..

So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? 3_210

The final result needs a few years of refinement, but I think is a good start.

So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? 2011-016

In order to fit the deadwood to the shimpaku, I had to cut off a section of the trunk. I held onto it for a year until I came home with this small stone from Austria. And so began my first attempt at a daiza.

So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? 110

As you can see, there isn't enough wood to make a properly proportioned daiza, but hey, the fact that it's made from an old yamadori adds sentimentality.

So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? 210

I wanted to preserve the lean in the stone, which required adding an extra leg. I affixed a small "shadow" stone in an attempt to preserve continuity.

So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? 510

So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? 410

And so concludes my best attempt to make the most of a sadly deceased yamadori. What have you done with your "failures?"

mbolos

Back to top Go down

So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? Empty Re: So Your Yamadori Died, Now What?

Post  Ryan Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:48 am

I really like it. Only thing that makes me curious is the very top, that branch bothers me. The way it slings back like it does, just doesn't do it for me. Just my opinion.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  carlos Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:18 pm

Yamadori? This looks like a regular garden tree to me. Again, the misunderstanding of the term.......

carlos

Back to top Go down

Post  EdMerc Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:24 pm

carlos wrote:Yamadori? This looks like a regular garden tree to me. Again, the misunderstanding of the term.......

Carlos, are you implying that simply by looking at the above photo you are able to divine the trees origin?
That's amazing. How did you do it. You must share.
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:55 pm

Good luck with the phoenix graft. They can be a lot of fun reclaiming something lost.
We had a thread a while ago on tanukis and there are some good photos in it.

BTW, your bonsai garden seems to be the highest one around - there was a guy from Canada (Toronto if I recall) on the IBC who was up in a tall building but you seem to be higher. Good to see your devotion to green stuff in the urban environment.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:12 pm

Carlos is, no doubt, a fluent speaker of Japanese, and knows that "yamadori" actually and originally means a tree collected from the mountains -- though the term has loosened up quite a bit over the years to become any tree collected from the wild.

Lately, as wild-caught trees become rare in many areas, the term seems to be broadening still further (as words tend to do) to become any collected tree, no matter whether collected from a remote location or from a backyard. The oxymoronish "Urban Yamadori" might be better used for these, however.

But, let's not be pedantic.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  AK_Panama Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:58 pm

I didn´t know that Jim.

Whatwould be the correct term for something collected from the wild (not a mountain)?
AK_Panama
AK_Panama

Back to top Go down

Post  jrodriguez Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:01 pm

JimLewis wrote:Carlos is, no doubt, a fluent speaker of Japanese, and knows that "yamadori" actually and originally means a tree collected from the mountains -- though the term has loosened up quite a bit over the years to become any tree collected from the wild.

Lately, as wild-caught trees become rare in many areas, the term seems to be broadening still further (as words tend to do) to become any collected tree, no matter whether collected from a remote location or from a backyard. The oxymoronish "Urban Yamadori" might be better used for these, however.

But, let's not be pedantic.

Oh no! Not again! the meaning of yamadori has been subject of extensive discussion in this forum. By the way, I also believe that not all collected/dug up material qualifies as yamadori, but that's another story.

Jim,

Don't yoo think that by writing "Carlos is, no doubt, a fluent speaker of Japanese, and knows that "yamadori" actually and originally means a tree collected from the mountains -- though the term has loosened up quite a bit over the years to become any tree collected from the wild." you too are being pedantic? Just a thought.

Kind regards,

Jose Luis
jrodriguez
jrodriguez

Back to top Go down

Post  AK_Panama Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:21 pm

jrodriguez wrote:Jim,

Don't yoo think that by writing "Carlos is, no doubt, a fluent speaker of Japanese, and knows that "yamadori" actually and originally means a tree collected from the mountains -- though the term has loosened up quite a bit over the years to become any tree collected from the wild." you too are being pedantic? Just a thought.

Hello Jose Luis,

Don´t you think that by writing what you did to Jim about his comment to Carlos in the manner that you did, you are also being pedantic?

P.D. I´m not being pedantic myself but rather, just being an ass! jocolor
AK_Panama
AK_Panama

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:34 pm

What I think is that this conversation is becoming rather petty despite AK's welcome attempt to lighten it up. Can we get back to the merits of mbolos' tanuki please? After all, he is merely pointing out that you can make the best of something that otherwise you might think is a goner.

And he did ask for others' examples of what they did with their failures, so in the spirit of his post, here's one of mine:

So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? Img_1910

This is the bottom half of a failed air layer on an Acer campestre. The hands in the pic above belong to another well-kent IBC member - there's a prize for guessing who.

So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? Img_1911

It's going forward as a shohin and over the next while the aim is to bring the foliage in tighter, develop a crown and reduce the leaves a bit more. It'll never be a show stopper but it did seem a shame to throw it out.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:47 pm

Of course I was. PURPOSEFULLY!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:25 pm

does the uk have a mountain ????????????? i'm sure there is a film about it ? if not the native trees must be dug from a hill at best so no yamadori from this little island..........
Serously tho,
My failures are now compost - not too many thank goodness and all in the first 5 years of the hobby - 100% down to wrong soil and underfeeding - a pine, a couple of acers and a little larch, so i guess its an acceptable learning curve
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:27 pm

I think thats going to be fantastic Fiona, Sometimes its in our attempt to raise the phoenix from the ashes that we perhaps burn the brightest.

Oh thats good..I gotta send that one to Hallmark
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:29 pm

My failures have ALL been from pushing trees too hard. Its the gentle touch now with me and the kids.
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  mbolos Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:11 am

Rob Kempinski wrote:Good luck with the phoenix graft. They can be a lot of fun reclaiming something lost.
We had a thread a while ago on tanukis and there are some good photos in it.

BTW, your bonsai garden seems to be the highest one around - there was a guy from Canada (Toronto if I recall) on the IBC who was up in a tall building but you seem to be higher. Good to see your devotion to green stuff in the urban environment.

Fiona, thanks for trying to bring the thread back to bonsai and away from pesky definitions. Yamadori, Urban Yamadori, Bonsai Enthusiast, Bonsai Hobbyist, Bonsai Artist; Cultivator of Bonsai; "Practicer" of Bonsai; it can drive a person mad!

With regard to your comment Rob, I'm trying to make do 150 feet up. After all, wouldn't wild trees now affixed to a concrete "mountain" in the middle of a city be the quintessential Urban...Yamadori.

I keep tweaking my setup. After an incident getting a poor lady on the street wet with runoff, I've settled on this.

On the ledge I put a few trees in sturdy pots that won't be affected by wind. Just to be safe, they're all secured tight with moving straps. This way, they get a little more sun and I have something to look at while I'm in my apartment.

So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? 2011-017

So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? 2011-018

Then the rest of the trees are put underneath. They all sit in paint trays so no water gets out. Siphoning out the excess water from the trays is a hassle, but hey, it's a labor of love.

So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? 2011-019

I know my trees look like a mess right now, but that's mainly because I'm playing Drgonzo's "gentle touch," giving the trees some needed years to fill out. I'm still a student, so I do the best with the material I can afford.

mbolos

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:34 am

held down with RATCHET TIES - I love it! Those puppies aren't going anywhere! The gentle touch is the best way, never doubt it. Trees don't grow at human speed, so we have to slow down to Tree speed.
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:39 am

I'd say that takes a full measure of devotion to the sport of bonsai.

I dunno if I'd do that. I'd probably be stuck with doing tropicals, inside. (But I think that's why I don't live in a big city.)
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:02 am

Good for you giving it a go like that. It reminds me of the photos you see of the small houses in Japan where every ledge on the sides of the house is crammed with bonsai because the owners don't have a garden. Seems to work fine for them.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Arno Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:55 am

Your "garden" is awesome. you just need some big cascades going out over the ledge and your lanai would look like some cliff in Yosemite!

Arno
Arno
Arno

Back to top Go down

Post  AK_Panama Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:33 pm

Very nice! I have my balcony crammed up too...my family is upset I keep bringing material all the time!

Only thing is that I have to fill up my water trays with sand or throw off the water every day and a half to avoid the mosquitoes.
AK_Panama
AK_Panama

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:28 pm

Here is what I did with mine

Xuan
So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? Dying_10
So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? Dying_11
So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? Dead_w10
This first attempt failed
So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? Dead_w11
[img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f46/14/66/62/37/dead_w12.jpg[url=https://servimg.com/view/14666237/150]So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? Dead_w15[/img][/url]

So Your Yamadori Died, Now What? Dead_w13
The last 2 pictures are of the Tanuki still alive

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  mbolos Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:11 pm

I think you've posted this on another thread, gorgeous work cleaning up the deadwood! What does it look like near the "fuse" points?

mbolos

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:34 am

Yes I did post this in another threasd but not form the begining.
What do you mean by the "fuse" points?
BTW thank for your comment
Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  mbolos Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:40 am

Could you post some closer photos of the trunk? I'd love to see how you attached (i.e. "fused") the tree(s) to the deadwood.

mbolos

Back to top Go down

Post  xuan le Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:48 am

mbolos wrote:Could you post some closer photos of the trunk? I'd love to see how you attached (i.e. "fused") the tree(s) to the deadwood.

I will post the close up pictures as soon as the weather permits, it is raining like hell since 3 days and the forecast predicts the rain wont't stop before Sunday (due to Katia storm)
But I used screws to attach the whips to the deadwood.

Xuan

xuan le

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next