Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Habenaria radiata - Egret Orchid in full bloom

3 posters

Go down

Habenaria radiata - Egret Orchid in full bloom Empty Habenaria radiata - Egret Orchid in full bloom

Post  Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:21 pm

Here are my Habenaria radiata - Egret Orchid in full bloom, I purchased the 3 tubers three years ago at a cost of £3.00 each, in the first year I got 6 flowers, this year I have a total of 26 blooms... the pot has been kept in my greenhouse and they have bloomed a full month earlier that last year! Its a shame that I do not have a show where I can use these enjoy

Habenaria radiata - Egret Orchid in full bloom Habena11

Back to top Go down

Habenaria radiata - Egret Orchid in full bloom Empty Re: Habenaria radiata - Egret Orchid in full bloom

Post  Mark Cooper Wed Aug 24, 2011 2:30 pm

Those are beautiful Tony, and from what I understand they are not the easiest things to find or keep. Congratulations !
In fact I was talking to Dave Martin about them last Sunday at Bristol, as Ritta and I would love to add them to our ever growing collection of accent plants.

Any horticlultural tips would be most welcome please. I would like to find a supplier too if you have any info ? Thanks.

I know of just the event where you may show your accent plants next May !..... https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t7594-magical-bonsai-accents-exhibition-2012 Wink
Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper

Back to top Go down

Habenaria radiata - Egret Orchid in full bloom Empty Re: Habenaria radiata - Egret Orchid in full bloom

Post  Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:50 pm

Hi Mark... Habenaria radiata are as rare as Hens teeth... they like a compost based on sphagnum moss (living is best) with some sand added or one consisting of coarse sand with some peat mixed in. The compost should be wet but must be VERY free-draining. The Tubers are oval and VERY SMALL, half the size of a peanut. Plant them on their side. The best price I have found is £4.50 per tuber... but they are out of stock, the time to buy is February to March. Hope this helps.

Dan sent me details of the event... and I will hopefully attend.. and show

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Cooper Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:06 pm

Thanks very much Tony.

You are on my emailing list now for MBA 2012 Smile Glad that you can participate ! More details will follow as they become available.
Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:16 pm

Wow those are pretty stunning, thanks for sharing them. Do you have a shot of the whole thing or was that purposely left out?
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:18 pm

Jim Doiron wrote:Wow those are pretty stunning, thanks for sharing them. Do you have a shot of the whole thing or was that purposely left out?

Hi Jim. The pot that they are growing is nothing to look at... yes it has been left off because the interest is in the flowers bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:03 pm

Nice Tony, I have the vargieated ones, no flowers but new bulbs Wink

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:06 pm

landerloos wrote:Nice Tony, I have the vargieated ones, no flowers but new bulbs Wink Peter

In time Peter... in time.

BTW something in the post for you Cool

Back to top Go down

Post  landerloos Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:06 pm

tony wrote:
landerloos wrote:Nice Tony, I have the vargieated ones, no flowers but new bulbs Wink Peter

In time Peter... in time.

BTW something in the post for you Cool

Thank you my friend.

Peter
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:29 pm

Hi Jim. The pot that they are growing is nothing to look at... yes it has been left off because the interest is in the flowers

Fair enough, it will make a great accent some day I'm sure, thanks again for posting it.
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down