Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Our Japanese White Egret Orchid in flower

+5
Jim Doiron
John Quinn
landerloos
Ian Young
Mark Cooper
9 posters

Go down

Our Japanese White Egret Orchid in flower Empty Our Japanese White Egret Orchid in flower

Post  Mark Cooper Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:48 pm

This is the first flower to open on our Japanese White Egret Orchid (Habenaria radiata) from 6 tubers we planted this year. It is called "Sagisou" in Japan.

There are many more buds to open on the 6 plants. For those that are not familiar with this plant, the flower is only about 35mm across on a stem about 30cm tall.

Our Japanese White Egret Orchid in flower Egret_13

It is being grown in a 7cm deep "accent" pot in a free draining but moisture retentive soil mix, with added sphagnum moss.

It is a beautiful plant, but tricky to use I think as a companion plant with a bonsai, as it is so tall ...maybe OK though as a kusamono for a Tokonoma display ?

This is the first time we have grown this, so we are pleased with the results so far. The question is, can we get it to flower next year too, and over-winter the tubers?
Has anyone successfully over-wintered this?

Mark & Ritta
Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper

Back to top Go down

Our Japanese White Egret Orchid in flower Empty Re: Our Japanese White Egret Orchid in flower

Post  Ian Young Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:56 pm

Hi Mark,

I've tried them. Got it through one Winter and lost them all the next! Was gutted. They were in a cold greenhouse but it was 2 Winters ago and temp was extremely low. I watch this thread with interest to see how others manage them. I would like to give them another try Very Happy
Ian Young
Ian Young

Back to top Go down

Our Japanese White Egret Orchid in flower Empty Re: Our Japanese White Egret Orchid in flower

Post  landerloos Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:05 pm

Mine are blooming aswell now, Like i wrote a other place I keep mine in a deep pot, all my attempts to keep them in low pots went wrong.

heres a pic
Our Japanese White Egret Orchid in flower Dsc_0010

Our Japanese White Egret Orchid in flower Dsc_0011
landerloos
landerloos

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:38 am

Beautiful...love the Egret flower.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Jim Doiron Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:25 am

Really amazing. The great photos help. Thanks
Jim Doiron
Jim Doiron

Back to top Go down

Post  nekotoban Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:56 pm

Mark Cooper wrote:
The question is, can we get it to flower next year too, and over-winter the tubers?
Has anyone successfully over-wintered this?

Hi Mark,

The answer of your questions are logically yes.

I am not sure whether this is useful, because our climate is quite different from yours. Bellow I am going to mention is a case in Japan.
I hope it will give you a tip.

In August my husband gave me an egret flower so I searched how to grow it by Google. I've found a person who seems to be an expert of egret flower
(He propergates them over 43,000 !!). According to his website, the most important thing is pH level of water and soil.
if you are using alkalinity water, he suggests to use Kanuma soil and change them to new every year. This is his hypothesis.
In Japan, tap water is alkalized to protect waterpipe and components of water meter from lead poisoning so the tap water makes physiological disorder to
the egret flower that is going to be weak and dead. The flower tends to like slight acidity water. If tap water in your area is alkalinity, pH values above 7,
would be better getting it down as pH 5.5 to 6.0(Note: pH5.5 to 6.0 is the expert's recommendation IN JAPAN).

About soil, the expert recommends us to use sphagnum moss as it is superior in water-holding but someone warns some of the moss are imported and have strong
acid(pH4.3). The expert said he was lucky, he always used domestic sphagnum moss fortunately. Check out pH level of the moss or soil before using.
Kanuma soil has acidic power changing alkalinity water to slight acidity water. In a case of using alkalinity water, the first year of egret flower grow well by new Kanuma
soil which has strong acidic power but when time passes year by year, Kanuma would reduce it.

He also said they are TOUGH in winter .
The tubers can bear cold winter in north Nagano prefecture where the temperature goes down to -4C, and the expert confirms they can even survive under the frozen soil
like the Antarctica vessels.
He cautions us not to move the flower pot frequently than to get it frozen. They don't move by themselves in natural habitat.
In the cold area, it is preferable to take it under the eaves or inside the cold place of a house but don't forget watering as the flower grows in wet zone naturally.
Dryness is the worst thing to it. and be careful of slugs.

FYI, I updated my blog for an legend of egret flower. This is really sad.

Well, that's all I have found. Good luck to all your egret flowers (and mine too) Very Happy

nekotoban

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Cooper Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:43 pm

Hi again Yumiko,

Thank you the detailed reply …that is very interesting and helpful. We have 7 flowers today from 6 plants Smile

You are right, as you know; south Wales is not as warm as Kyushu Crying or Very sad

We have ours planted in a mixture of Akadama, Kiryu, and chopped up Sphagnum moss. But maybe Kanuma instead of Kiryu would be better next time. I had read that they grow in damp/ wet areas, so like water.
Our water here is quite “soft” (and not very alkaline) … so maybe be we have been lucky with this. Knowing that they prefer a slightly acid soil (like satsuki) is useful to know.

We will store the tubers cold during the winter (but not too cold) and not wet, but taking care to keep them from drying out.

Thanks again, and I will check out you blog now http://necotoban.blog.fc2.com/

Mark & Ritta
Mark Cooper
Mark Cooper

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:24 pm

Wow! information like that is so remarkable and helpful. thank-you!
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  robatkinson Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:17 pm

hi mark stunning flower would love to see
the plant.
regards rob.a, Smile
robatkinson
robatkinson

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:54 am

Here are images showing the entire plant too...
Our Japanese White Egret Orchid in flower Egret_10
Our Japanese White Egret Orchid in flower Egret710
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  FrankP999 Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:45 am

Stunning orchid!

Does anyone have a source to purchase these in the USA?

Thanks

Frank

FrankP999

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:16 am

John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down