Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Danish stones

+17
dick benbow
my nellie
Andre Beaurain
Chris Cochrane
Todd Ellis
vlado
ogie
crust
kora
sunip
Billy M. Rhodes
trantanhung_nt
landerloos
peterbrod
drgonzo
stonener
fiona
21 posters

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

My Danish stones - Page 10 Empty Re: My Danish stones

Post  Guest Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:20 am

Hi Friends

Take a look at this kiribox Smile
I met Kazuyo Matsushita at the Noelanders....she was a member of the japanese delegation.
She is a master kanjiwriter, and has won prizes.....
I met her again in Tokyo, and this time i brought the doors of 3 kiriboxes ........here is one of them Smile

My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_1810
Matsushita in action
My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_1811
finished
My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_1965
This is how the box look now....hope you like it

Kind regards Yvonne....the stone look oiled...but it is not Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Hello Yvonne
The picture shows the stone very well.
When there is snow outside, the reflected light indoor is magnificent and is very good to make interior pictures.
What is written on the box, can you give us the translation?
A Danish stone appreciated in Japanese traditional way!
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:30 pm

The kanji say: THE SKREDBJERG STONE
Found by Yvonne 2012

The name is taken after the place, I found the stone.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:00 am

It will take at least one month before I can go back to daizacarvings, as I have too much work at the time...cant wait.
I never showed you this flint, standing 20 cm. tall....It is actully my very first big stone, and daiza. It is carved from one piese of mahogany, and painted black, with a antique finish...may not be visible on the photo.
My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2112

My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2113

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:00 pm

enjoyed the Kiribox feature. interesting side story. How exreaordinary to have your box so nicely represented. Always appreciate your sharing Smile

Our stone group has a display up at Weyerhauser Bonsai. Each saturday we have one or two reps there to answer questions and work on daiza's. Can't say it's lead to any new mmbers but has been well received by the visitors.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:28 pm

Hello, Yvonne!
It's the first time for me to see a stone not completely sitting on its daiza.
I do not know about stones and I always thought that they should be comfortably sitting on their seats Very Happy
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:51 am

Hi Alexandra

It is "many" years ago sinse I carved this seat...My thoughts back then was, It is danish, there are no rules Smile, I have learned something else sinse.......Back then had I seen bridgestones did not rest compleetely, it was the same with shelter stones, often do they not rest on a smaller part.

What this kind of stone is called, do I not really think about, I just take it as it are, and enjoy I managed to ballance the stone very well back then.
Before I did this first carving, had I been felting the daizas, as I was not happy about the thought of beginning to work with wood...I still like, and exhibit 3 felted daizas in my home Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:29 am

Yvonne, thank you for your time to explain.
Yvonne Graubaek wrote: ... ...What this kind of stone is called, do I not really think about, I just take it as it are, and enjoy I managed to ballance the stone very well back then... ...
Yes, I know. This is the same way I am looking at my humble collected stones Very Happy
Have a nice day!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Finished this daiza yesterday evening to this danish stone, the wood is mahogany

My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2312
The front...sorry...it is imposible to avoid the shadow under the daiza

My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2313
back

My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2314
The sice....the stone is not compleetely flat.

My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2315
Detail of the stone...photo taken outside.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Hello Yvonne.
This small stone appeals to me, lovely color, i would have taken this one to.
This must be a flint.
The opening at the top is in the middle, but because of the shapes at the left and right section of the stone
i do not mind that much, it still has enough quality i feel.
An interesting new one in your collection, it will be easy to combine with a smaller bonsai.
I notice you chose for a strong horizontal approach for the daiza.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:46 am

Hi Sunip

I am happy you like the small landskapestone...I found it in the small area were i have found all theese flint in the same, by iron in the water, collor. But this one does not appear to be flint, the buttom is sandstone, and the upper part, that took the irondye very well, is not flint....I showed it to a friend of mine, and he think it is limonite, it looks like it is the right observation...but...it is not something I find in my area, strange.

I thought the upper part of the stone was fine grained sandstone, polished by the rapid waterstream it was found in

This sentens of your do i not understand "I notice you chose for a strong horizontal approach for the daiza."
Can you say the same in other words? Smile

Kind regards yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:58 am

[quote="Yvonne Graubaek"]Hi Sunip
This sentens of your do i not understand "I notice you chose for a strong horizontal approach for the daiza."

Hello Yvonne,
When the parts of the daiza at the left and right arrow stretching outwards, the whole gives a more horizontal feeling,
when the daiza is more narrow, the horizontal effect is less.
It is only where you want to have the emphasis on, but this is something you are aware of i am sure.
Anyway i like it.
Sunip Wink

My Danish stones - Page 10 Untitl10

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 01, 2013 1:02 pm

Danish slopestone standing 23 cm wide, and 9.5 high and deep, in my newest daiza.
Despite the rough surface, would the stone not ruin a nylonstocking, if it was rubbed against it.
My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2417
front
My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2418
on one photo is the stone highlighted, and on the other is the daize looking the best....maybe one day, I learn to take a good photo

My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2419
back
My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2420
My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2421

Kind regards Yvonne

Last edited by Yvonne Graubaek on Thu May 02, 2013 7:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : one more photo)

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Wed May 01, 2013 4:03 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Friends

Take a look at this kiribox Smile
I met Kazuyo Matsushita at the Noelanders....she was a member of the japanese delegation.
She is a master kanjiwriter, and has won prizes.....
I met her again in Tokyo, and this time i brought the doors of 3 kiriboxes ........here is one of them Smile

My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_1810
Matsushita in action
My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_1811
finished
My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_1965
This is how the box look now....hope you like it

Kind regards Yvonne....the stone look oiled...but it is not Smile

How wonderful for you! What a beautiful box and stone, and what a beautiful and talented young lady!
Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 02, 2013 7:38 am

Hi Russel

Yes, I enjoy the stones and boxes every day...and the young girl was a treat to watch doing the painting...she was so cool and confident.

Kind regards Yvonne....I added a photo to the previus stone

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 02, 2013 9:50 am

[quote="sunip"]
Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Sunip

Hello Yvonne,
When the parts of the daiza at the left and right arrow stretching outwards, the whole gives a more horizontal feeling,
when the daiza is more narrow, the horizontal effect is less.
It is only where you want to have the emphasis on, but this is something you are aware of i am sure.
Anyway i like it.
Sunip Wink

My Danish stones - Page 10 Untitl10

Hi Sunip

When making a daiza, do the carver very often have to follow the stone....I made a very wobbly drawing....
My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2315
The lines in the stone is flat rounded, also look at the backside...so I made the daiza flat rounded.....had i used your suggestion, had I not used the stones lines, but gone against it.

The daiza has the cut rim...it was needed, as the stone had this flat rounding, and for being able to do the same on the daiza, did i have to make the daiza wider, as this uncut stone need a fairly deep daiza....lines like the rim, makes slim...and I wanted to let the daiza look low.

Many times I want to make something else for a stone...but when i am working on it, do i have to change my idea, as the stone want and need something else from me. Not always visible before the carving, but I am slowly learning to understand.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Thu May 02, 2013 12:34 pm

Hello Yvonne.
Thanks.
Yes uncut stones are a challenge.
To be clear, my drawing was not a suggestion to alter the daiza, only explaining what i wrote earlier about a remark before.
Anyway, it triggered you to write something about your thoughts on the design and i agree with this.
Explaining thoughts on a particular design can be helpful for everybody.
Another result of such a rim is that there is a subtle accent, it is a little stop in the movement that prevents that the daiza would completely mirror the stone, something that is less attractive i feel.
Even a complete mirroring of a stone could work in rare occasions as no stone is the same,( i do not intent to make any rules here, how about a rock mirrored in a lake).
In your case the daiza is not completely mirroring the stone, only a bit and this works lovely as it allows the stone to connect to the earth in an elegant way.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 02, 2013 12:44 pm

Hi Sunip

We very often think the same, and also in this case...sorry for not make it more clear, about your intenstion with your drawing...it was understood.
Did you miss out me newest slopestone, I think it is granite?....on saturday am i going to visit a geologi excursion by the beach...about stones found on the beach, cant wait...hope for nice weather.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Thu May 02, 2013 9:34 pm

Hello Yvonne.
I noticed your newest and am still thinking about its special qualities,
the possibilities of Scandinavian granit as viewing stone source.
You are quit active making daiza also this newest daiza must have been quit a
chalenge like where to place the feet.
I will try to post a picture of my latest daiza on a stone i found on a beach last year and did not show before.
Such an excursion would be helpful i think it makes you more aware of good locations
and where to look for in the different stone types like the way they brake and behave under erosion.
What qualities they develop over long periods of time and so on.
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 03, 2013 8:02 am

Hi Sunip

i look forward to see your newest daiza Smile ....with my newst daiza, did i not have problems with the feetplacement, it was easy with all 7 of them.
I try to have as few as possilble, and prefer a uneven number in the front, but it is not a must...also do i want a legs not to be in the center of the front.
It is very often a matter of the visuel decive, if I may say so....one stone I had a problem with, was the last small stone from my previus trip to japan....you said it looked like a bird, or eagle....I gave this small daiza 5 legs....4 was visuel from the front...to the stones actual features was they placed right, but visuel, would 3 have been better, as the stone changed its front in the making of the daiza...the touch and rubbing effect, gave it a visuelt diffrent front, wich would have been better. and I may carve a another daiza in the future for the stone.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  sunip Fri May 03, 2013 9:23 pm

Hello Yvonne,
Yes i see the problem.
The two dimensional picture would suggest three feet visible in the front but the birds belly is coming to much forward and is asking for another foot, well it sounds like playing daiza.
Maybe some subtle shape changes of the daiza might make three feet in this front acceptable?
Sunip Wink

sunip

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 04, 2013 8:36 am

Hi Sunip

Now I have to redo the daiza very soon, as I think you will have a surprice Smile
I will be back in some days with it....the daiza, as it is now bothers me.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 19, 2013 5:49 pm

I found this big granite in Sweden last year, it has been in the garden , my intension was a garden stone, but now is the doban unused, and i think it could be a nice mountainstone indoors, as it has no sharp edges, and the patina has the same age all ower the stone.
My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2518
standing 26cm tall abowe the sand
My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2519
front
My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2520
side
My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2521
back
My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2522
side
What do you think of the stone as suiseki?, and what do you see in it?...it could go in a 10cm deep daiza...how could the design of a daiza look?
My Danish stones - Page 10 Img_2523
This bird is on the japanese doban...do any one know the name of it?, and what it stands for?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

My Danish stones - Page 10 Empty Bird

Post  lennard Sun May 19, 2013 7:51 pm

Hi Yvonne.

The bird looks a lot like the Phoenix:

http://saltspringantiques.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=43

Don't know if it is the carving but I also see a bird in two views of your stone?

Can you also explain the patina being the same as important?

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sun May 19, 2013 8:00 pm

I see the stone as a bird of prey looking back over it's shoulder at us. I like the ruggedness of the stone. I would prefer it on a daiza rather then in a suiban. And that is because i see an living creature in it's shape I think it fits better in a dai then a base of sand as if it looked more mountain like. I would love to see the dai a smooth black lacquor finish to contrast with the lighter grey color and ruggedness of the stone. I can picture it on a higher elevated stand as if perched on a mountain crag looking over the valley below.
If I chose to put it in a display, I would love to see a scroll with an impression of a beautiful blue sky with lofty white clouds and maybe in the foreground of the display a small tenpai on a jitta with a hare as something a bird of prey might be looking for it's next meal.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next