Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Itoigawa grafting

Go down

Itoigawa grafting Empty Itoigawa grafting

Post  peter keane Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:16 am

This is approach grafting itoigawa juniper to a juniperus scopulorum. Why the change of foliage, is that in my area, it's quite wet in the spring and fall. rocky mountain juniper foliage doesn't do very well in it. the foliage is also more open than I'd prefer. I thought I would approach some itoigawa foliage to this wonderful trunk. I imagine the juniper is a few hundred years old.

I wasn't sure about a front, until i excavated for some signs of nebari. as I found this, I chose the front in the first image.

Itoigawa grafting Dsc_0010
Itoigawa grafting Dsc_0011
Itoigawa grafting Dsc_0012

Last edited by peter keane on Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I mistaked it)
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Itoigawa grafting Empty Re: Itoigawa grafting

Post  peter keane Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:20 am

The next two images are the "backs" where the grafts are going to be joined. after cleaning up the itoigawa, I found I was able to use just the two shoots at the fork (allowing me future itoigawa grafting).

Itoigawa grafting Dsc_0013
Itoigawa grafting Dsc_0014
Itoigawa grafting Dsc_0015

peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  peter keane Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:33 am

Attaching the itiogawa. I saw one of Pavel Slovak's projects on his website. He had brought a sabina whip low to the trunk and attached it perpendicular to the direction of the lifeline. I thought it was interesting enough to try. if you sketch it out, you'll see that the cambium matches in eight places (if you include contact with the flap). I'm not quite sure about the success of the second graft. The planes of each, the scion and the scopulorum did not make contact in a flat (flush) way. I attempted to squeeze the planes together with aluminum wire. I'm quite confident in the success of the grafts on either end. As it was late in the growing season for doing this, I'll leave it for two years before separating the stocks.

Itoigawa grafting Dsc_0016
Itoigawa grafting Dsc_0017
[url=https://servimg.com/view/13739476/163]Itoigawa grafting Dsc_0018

Itoigawa grafting Dsc_0019
peter keane
peter keane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down