Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Itoigawa juniper

5 posters

Go down

Itoigawa juniper Empty Itoigawa juniper

Post  Neli Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:14 pm

I need to style this juniper...But I am a bit undecided what to do...
Itoigawa juniper Dsc07910
Itoigawa juniper Dsc07911
I have a feeling that it should be a semicascade.
Not too sure about the position of the apex. I feel it should be shifted to the left from this position I drew on the virtual.
, And the cascading part needs to be shortened. What do you think?
Another option is to bend the cascading part and make it more of a cascade.
Itoigawa juniper Dsc07912
Which one do you think is a better front?
Please help me with some ideas...
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Itoigawa juniper Empty Re: Itoigawa juniper

Post  -Daniel- Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:08 pm

Hello Neli, my favorite is the one in front of the first picture. Very Happy 

Itoigawa juniper Dsc07910

Ciao , Daniele
-Daniel-
-Daniel-

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:17 pm

WAW! I like it!  Did not think of that....Should I bend like an S the horizontally the cascading part?
It was root over rock...and the rock broke.Rolling Eyes Sad Part of it is under some roots...The rock on op I failed to put back the way it was before. It was holding to the lower part of the rock by a tiny bit.
Thanks a million for the help.
Any more brilliant ideas out there?
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:32 pm

Neli,

thanks, just looking and learning.
Later.
Khaimraj [ so you wouldn't think you were being ignored.]
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:58 pm

K!Very Happy Dont look and learn!Rolling Eyes
Adivise!Idea 
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Sat Nov 23, 2013 10:37 pm

Neli,

didn't you know I had a black thumb with junipers, bougainvilleas and not so long ago ficus.
I am too far from the sea for Shimpaku and the one we get from Miami. Not humid enough
I guess?
However others can grow them easily.
Ha ha ha.
Apologies, no help here.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  -Daniel- Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:10 am

Neli wrote:WAW! I like it!  Did not think of that....Should I bend like an S the horizontally the cascading part?
It was root over rock...and the rock broke.Rolling Eyes Sad Part of it is under some roots...The rock on op I failed to put back the way it was before. It was holding to the lower part of the rock by a tiny bit.
Thanks a million for the help.
Any more brilliant ideas out there?
Yes, you have to give movement to the cascate , if the branch is too big, you have to start with the thinnest branch. study 

Very moving to the cascate , it is very visual effect and balance pearl plant, giving many years of living and suffering. ThumbsUp 

The rock opposite the cascate I like. Dance 

I hope to undestand me pale 

Best regards Daniel
-Daniel-
-Daniel-

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:21 am

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Neli,

didn't you know I had a black thumb with junipers, bougainvilleas and not so long ago ficus.
I am too far from the sea for Shimpaku and the one we get from Miami. Not humid enough
I guess?
However others can grow them easily.
Ha ha ha.
Apologies, no help here.
Khaimraj
Put shade cloth on top of the junipers...and a tray with water under...
I have problems with bougainvilleas rotting...Laughing 
Well, Thanks for posting and cheering me.
Now dont go and say I did not do much to this juniper again..."knotty boy!"Laughing 
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:47 pm

Hi Neli,
I think the solution to the final planting angle is how the roots and rock below the surface look. Can you expose more of the roots and rock before you decide?
Todd
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:02 pm

If I lift the rock, there are roots on the surface under the rock...I can try and take pictures for you. What are you thinking about? How do you think the planting angle should be changed so I can check if it is possible. But I think if it is 30 degree or less change it can be done. The stone is loosely put on top, until I decide what to do with it. It broke...but there is another part under the roots.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:05 pm

I am thinking that if there is enough interest with the roots clasping the rock, you might want to incorporate this in the design, expose the roots and rock. Or not... you might decide to remove it from the rock... just some thoughts.
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:42 pm

I Think the rock might have to go. I think it will not be possible to reattach it. I think it is the roots that dislodged it.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:57 am

Neli wrote:I need to style this juniper...
Neli, how long have you had this juniper?

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Mon Nov 25, 2013 5:50 am

I was hoping you will answer Dorothy. I value your advise a lot.
Less than a month Darling. I have just been looking at it to get inspired and I am drawing blank. Normally I will get a feeling and something inside will tell me : that is the way! But here Sad I am getting a blank.
I am very good with wiring and styling pads...So styling any shape will not be a problem, but I am not sure of the direction to take it to.
The tertiary branches are over elongated on the lower trunk, and unless I bend them crazy...it will not look good. Bending crazy is reserved for demos, to make it look good at the moment....Your own junis you have to chase the foliage back. I see also a lot of juvenile foliage...so Trimming has to me done in a sensible manner not to promote more juvenile foliage.
What do You think about something like this:
Itoigawa juniper Dsc07913
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:37 pm

Neli wrote:I was hoping you will answer Dorothy. I value your advise a lot...
Thank you Neli. My answer is not what you will expect. You are full of energy and very enthusiastic about the trees. That's good. However, the trees - all your tres you imported from Japan - have gone and are still going to a very stressful time in traveling to your country and adjusting ( hopefully) to the new climate and conditions.
When I started bonsai I thought, okay, trees are stressed due to ... so they may as well be worked on now, since they are under stress already and they will be numb to any further insult. That is wrong. Insults accumulate. Traveling is one insult, new climate is another one, wiring is another one, bending is another one, transplanting is another one, fertilizing is another one and so on.
Your trees need to rest for at least 1 or 2 years. Realize that many of them will have broken fine roots just due to transportation. And then you add everything else.
The internet is full of styling advise. That's not even half of the deed. That is the most unimportant factor. I do grow conifers in my climate. However, I work with the trees. They show when they are ready to work on. They cannot show you when to stop while working on them in one session. That's up to oneself to decide. Albeit they can show how they took the work if you give them time in between.

Also, I am growing conifers and trees that grow in my landscape. All trees that grow successfully in my backyard have big cousins all around me. That is a very safe way to know what works in one's climate.

Please take my advise the right way. I have gone trough lots of stuff you will be experiencing soon if nothing changes. You are a very nice person and I want to see you happy with your trees.

Trees are used to growing - if we let them.

Best,
Dorothy

dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:22 pm

Darling Thank You. I understand and appreciate your advise. It makes a lot of sense to me. I shall just follow it. It is a sound advise! Thank You from the bottom of my heart.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:45 pm

That's the spirit. I am glad you are listening. Smile 

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down